Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 08:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times

Advertisements

A recent topic from a Mississippi native asking about Canadian food got me to thinking what kinds of foods would be representative of Mississippi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 09:20 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,892,332 times
There is a tread on MS reddit with this subject.

First and foremost would be comeback sauce, it's so unique to the Jackson area, that many Mississippians outside the metro are just now discovering it.

Fried Catfish would likely be next.

Many years ago, I read an article claiming that Penn's "Chicken on a Stick" was one of MS's unique foods.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:45 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Barbecue in the north, shelled seafood like crawdads, shrimp and oysters on the coast, particularly creole style. Anything fried - Fried catfish and chicken everywhere. Corn bread, pecan pie. Tupelo honey (actually named after the tree however, not the town). Typical soul food in the delta area.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:11 AM

25,560 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Barbecue in the north, shelled seafood like crawdads, shrimp and oysters on the coast, particularly creole style. Anything fried - Fried catfish and chicken everywhere. Corn bread, pecan pie. Tupelo honey (actually named after the tree however, not the town). Typical soul food in the delta area.
Interestingly enough, we don't know where to buy Tupelo Honey in Mississippi. I found some in Florida and ordered it; it was nice, had a good flavor, but local honey remains my choice. Supermarket honey should never be purchased - it is hardly honey at all.

Food prepared on top of the stove usually represents Southern or Mississippi cuisine. That's because in the South the higher quality food was prepared by slaves and they used recipes and methods brought from Africa. Fried chicken, among other things, is one of the foods they brought from Africa. While frying chicken was not unique to Africa, it is certainly one of the foods that caught on.

Also, the native Americans were using a form of corn bread, and that became a Southern staple.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times
Moon pies and RC.
Head cheese.
Peanuts in a Coca Coca bottle.
Potato logs.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:47 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,250 times
Delta tamales. Try the fried tamales at Hot Tamale Heaven in Greenville.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:50 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Interestingly enough, we don't know where to buy Tupelo Honey in Mississippi. I found some in Florida and ordered it; it was nice, had a good flavor, but local honey remains my choice. Supermarket honey should never be purchased - it is hardly honey at all.

Food prepared on top of the stove usually represents Southern or Mississippi cuisine. That's because in the South the higher quality food was prepared by slaves and they used recipes and methods brought from Africa. Fried chicken, among other things, is one of the foods they brought from Africa. While frying chicken was not unique to Africa, it is certainly one of the foods that caught on.

Also, the native Americans were using a form of corn bread, and that became a Southern staple.
Fried chicken came from Africa via slaves? I never have heard that, before. I thought fried chicken was totally an American creation. In all honesty, I never really gave too much thought as to where fried chicken was invented, but I think I just assumed fried chicken most likely originated in England and the immigrants brought the recipe with them to America. Americans will fry just about anything you can eat, from apples and bananas to steak, fish and chicken to twinkies, pickles, okra and potatoes, tomatoes, corn, beans, mushrooms, ice cream, doughnuts and pies.

I knew that that the Native Americans were the ones who introduced corn to the Pilgrims, so it doesn't surprise me that that cornbread came from the Native Americans.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:48 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,385,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Fried chicken came from Africa via slaves? I never have heard that, before. I thought fried chicken was totally an American creation. In all honesty, I never really gave too much thought as to where fried chicken was invented, but I think I just assumed fried chicken most likely originated in England and the immigrants brought the recipe with them to America. Americans will fry just about anything you can eat, from apples and bananas to steak, fish and chicken to twinkies, pickles, okra and potatoes, tomatoes, corn, beans, mushrooms, ice cream, doughnuts and pies.

I knew that that the Native Americans were the ones who introduced corn to the Pilgrims, so it doesn't surprise me that that cornbread came from the Native Americans.
What I understand is that Scots brought frying to the new world with them and then slaves from various regions added spices not available in Europe. It is also likely that the process of frying began in Asia with Tempura.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:56 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Tupelo honey (actually named after the tree however, not the town). Typical soul food in the delta area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Tupelo honey is from Florida, not Mississippi. While tupelo trees can grow anywhere it's hot, flat, and boggy, the main tupelo honey producing region is along the Apalachicola River in Florida. Fun fact: pure tupelo honey never crystallizes.

Deep frying chicken in fat was done in Scotland long before America ever existed. Even Romans were frying chicken as early as the 2nd Century AD. The Scots brought that method of cooking chicken with them to the New World. Americans of Scottish descent, whether in the North or South, knew how to fry chicken.
West Africans also fried chicken but in palm oil, and they also added spices to their fried chicken which the Scots didn't do. Fried chicken was a popular meal for slaves to take with them into the fields because it didn't spoil as quickly as, say, pork or beef, and it's easy to eat without utensils. And it's very tasty.

I think one of the things I miss about living in Mississippi is all the "steak and seafood" restaurants. Every little town in Mississippi had a steak and seafood place, at least in the areas where I lived (Tupelo and Oxford). They were almost always buffet style, and sometimes the "seafood" was just catfish, but usually it also included shrimp and even crab legs.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 05-25-2018 at 07:48 AM..

Old 05-25-2018, 06:13 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
What I understand is that Scots brought frying to the new world with them and then slaves from various regions added spices not available in Europe. It is also likely that the process of frying began in Asia with Tempura.
Tempura was influenced by Portuguese living in Japan.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempura
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi