U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 04:41 PM

62 posts, read 23,207 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Our son-in-law has orders to relocate to Biloxi next year (Keesler AFB) and that means he, along with our DD and grandson, will be making the move to the area. We are about to retire and want to live fairly close to them, but for a few reasons, I do not want to be too close to the coast. (Cost of insurance, proximity to storm surge from hurricanes, general fear of hurricanes, among others.) We'd like to stay within a 45-60 minute drive, preferably north and thereby further from the coast. We're looking at about $175K for housing budget (or less) for a 3 bedroom house with decent access to retail and medical care (did I mention we're about to retire?). Our daughter says they are looking at Ocean Springs as a possible destination since the proximity to the base is favorable, so keep that in mind. Hattiesburg sounds like it checks quite a few of the boxes but it might be a bit too far. Are there any places on the Alabama side? It appears the property taxes are lower in AL vs. MS.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 05:08 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,117,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Rule View Post
Hi,

Our son-in-law has orders to relocate to Biloxi next year (Keesler AFB) and that means he, along with our DD and grandson, will be making the move to the area. We are about to retire and want to live fairly close to them, but for a few reasons, I do not want to be too close to the coast. (Cost of insurance, proximity to storm surge from hurricanes, general fear of hurricanes, among others.) We'd like to stay within a 45-60 minute drive, preferably north and thereby further from the coast. We're looking at about $175K for housing budget (or less) for a 3 bedroom house with decent access to retail and medical care (did I mention we're about to retire?). Our daughter says they are looking at Ocean Springs as a possible destination since the proximity to the base is favorable, so keep that in mind. Hattiesburg sounds like it checks quite a few of the boxes but it might be a bit too far. Are there any places on the Alabama side? It appears the property taxes are lower in AL vs. MS.

Thanks.
Mobile, AL is about an hour from Biloxi but it is on the coast/bay so you probably won't be any better off as far as hurricanes. Wiggins is about halfway between Biloxi and Hattiesburg, being roughly 45 minutes from each. Violent crime is 60% lower than the national average, however property crime is about 90% higher. I would be looking for a small town that isn't far from the coast or Hattiesburg so you can drive in for medical, etc.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:48 PM

I think property crime is on the increase everywhere, but 90% higher than the national average is surprising and worrisome. Where we live (north of Little Rock), crime is definitely on the increase, not just break-ins but armed robberies and murders, too. There are parts of LR you definitely want to stay away from.

We like things a little bit quieter but also want to make sure we aren't too far away from civilization. We still like to eat out, go shopping, be able to have a pizza delivered, etc. I don't mind driving a bit to see a doctor, but a hospital close by is becoming more important to us as we age. Luckily we're both in relatively good health but with age comes the increased probability of issues. I've gotten the impression that health care is not that great in Mississippi, but no place is perfect.

I'll look into Wiggins and the surrounding area. Is there a preference as to which county to be in?

Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 AM

997 posts, read 615,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Rule View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
On the hurricane part, think about this. My parents were scared to death when Katrina went through central Mississippi. So, I don't think 45-60 minutes inland is going to save you from a storm like that. Most of the Cat 1s and 2s won't bother you.

I would just look out in the County (Harrison). If you're dead set on a more urban area, look west of Hattiesburg in the Oak Grove area.

Your daughter is right to look in Ocean Springs, it's a great place.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
On the hurricane part, think about this. My parents were scared to death when Katrina went through central Mississippi. So, I don't think 45-60 minutes inland is going to save you from a storm like that. Most of the Cat 1s and 2s won't bother you.

I would just look out in the County (Harrison). If you're dead set on a more urban area, look west of Hattiesburg in the Oak Grove area.

Your daughter is right to look in Ocean Springs, it's a great place.
Now that you say that I think you are right. Most of the hurricanes are small with a big one happening rarely. I second looking maybe just north of the coast out in the county. Still that risk of a big storm but it doesn't happen often.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm not dead set on anything other than wanting to avoid flooding. I agree, the bigger storms are rare. I've lived in tornado country almost my entire adult life and I can cope with that. I've lived through two tornadoes and some close calls so having a storm shelter is a must for me. But I can't deal with storm surge and water in my house so that means moving a bit inland even though I'd love to be close to the grandkid. I guess it's a bit of a phobia but it is what it is for me.

Some good friends lived in Forest at the time Katrina hit (much further inland). They didn't have any flooding, but of course there was wind damage and they were without power for over a week. It was uncomfortable and certainly inconvenient, especially for the husband, who is in a battery-powered wheelchair. They had to drive to the local hospital (where there was power) so he could get the battery charged. I think the entire state was impacted for quite a long time. When a storm of that magnitude hits, you just have to be prepared and hope for the best.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the suggestions.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:54 PM

813 posts, read 781,144 times
Hurley, MS is a nice small town 30 miles north of OS. You should be able to find something in that price range. You would have to drive south for 20-30 minutes for Wal-Mart and medical appointments.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:02 AM

3,793 posts, read 6,527,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Mobile, AL is about an hour from Biloxi but it is on the coast/bay so you probably won't be any better off as far as hurricanes. Wiggins is about halfway between Biloxi and Hattiesburg, being roughly 45 minutes from each. Violent crime is 60% lower than the national average, however property crime is about 90% higher. I would be looking for a small town that isn't far from the coast or Hattiesburg so you can drive in for medical, etc.
Mobile is about 35 to 40 min to Biloxi. They are only 60 miles apart.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bilo...2!2d30.6953657

I don't know, from what I remember it's about an hour. Even Google Maps says 55 minutes. Starting from outskirts of Biloxi to outskirts of Mobile maybe 40 minutes.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:56 PM

997 posts, read 615,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I wouldn't recommend anyone live in Mobile over anything in Mississippi, when it comes to the Coast.

It doesn't become attractive in AL down that way until you pass the Bay and get into Baldwin County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or