Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:42 PM

19 posts, read 15,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Is that why Mississippi loses its young to neighboring states?
The young often think it's better elsewhere, no matter where they live. The young are also very often superficial and have little understanding of anything beyond their nose.

I'm sure you're not like that though........

Everything I said before stands. If you don't feel or understand things like that then you will never see the point, not that you want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 02:30 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Refugee View Post
The young often think it's better elsewhere, no matter where they live. The young are also very often superficial and have little understanding of anything beyond their nose.
That explains me 15 years ago, and I am currently trying to get back!

Old 07-24-2018, 08:09 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Do you believe it's better to parent a child in a traditional marriage, or a single parent household?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Neither is better than the other.

I can speak from the latter personally because that was my experience. It comes down to parenting on the mother & father but their relationship status is between them to resolve.
This may be the dumbest thing I have read lately. There are piles and piles of statistics that prove children of poor single-parent households, usually with the father showing little interest (likely the majority of single-parent situations ins MS) do much worse on average than children of two-parent households. Even in a divorce situation both parents usually continue to stay involved.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Is that why Mississippi loses its young to neighboring states?
Many reasons for this and they have been discussed over and over on this forum. In addition, many parents see there is little future in this state (and it's getting worse, not better) and continually tell their kids to leave. I do this and just about everyone I know does it as well.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Many reasons for this and they have been discussed over and over on this forum. In addition, many parents see there is little future in this state (and it's getting worse, not better) and continually tell their kids to leave. I do this and just about everyone I know does it as well.
No offense, but that is terrible that you do that. I do not know why you are still there. All you do is spew negativity. We all know what Mississippi is. Is it a lack of confidence that you can't find another job elsewhere or something? I cannot imagine why anyone would purposely subject themselves to something they feel is so horrible.

Sure, encourage your kids to see the world. But to continually run down the State of Mississippi? It's probably better without you.

Any place can have a future if there are people who want there to be one. You're just part of the problem, certainly not the solution. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Why can't you just be content?

Old 07-24-2018, 10:40 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Quote:
Do you believe it's better to parent a child in a traditional marriage, or a single parent household?

This may be the dumbest thing I have read lately. There are piles and piles of statistics that prove children of poor single-parent households, usually with the father showing little interest (likely the majority of single-parent situations ins MS) do much worse on average than children of two-parent households. Even in a divorce situation both parents usually continue to stay involved.
Statistics dictates your life , doesn't it?

Old 07-24-2018, 11:01 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
That explains me 15 years ago, and I am currently trying to get back!
Quote:
No offense, but that is terrible that you do that. I do not know why you are still there. All you do is spew negativity. We all know what Mississippi is. Is it a lack of confidence that you can't find another job elsewhere or something? I cannot imagine why anyone would purposely subject themselves to something they feel is so horrible.

Sure, encourage your kids to see the world. But to continually run down the State of Mississippi? It's probably better without you.

Any place can have a future if there are people who want there to be one. You're just part of the problem, certainly not the solution. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Why can't you just be content?
If it were so bloomin' easy to get a job and secure a future here in Mississippi, shouldn't it be easy for you to get back?

Old 07-25-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If it were so bloomin' easy to get a job and secure a future here in Mississippi, shouldn't it be easy for you to get back?
I mean, I am currently deciding when and where to go. Does not have anything to do with a job at this point.

I will agree with you that there seems to be no future in rural America right now, and Mississippi is very rural. But why isn't there a future in the Memphis Metro Area? The Gulf Coast? Those areas are within the developing 'Mega Regions' of the U.S. The corridor from Memphis to Tupelo to GTR is going to grow, along with the Coast/Hattiesburg. Tupelo will always be relevant, as will Starkville/Columbus due to MSU. There are options there.

Jackson may not be the greatest city but it will always provide SOME jobs and semblance of an economy. It's the financial and government center of the whole state.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Statistics dictates your life , doesn't it?
Will you give it a rest? I am as positive about MS as anyone but you can't just deny such a huge amount of data. I don't really like statistics either, and you certainly always have to look at how they are applied (most shark attacks happen at the beach, comes to mind).

But in this case, it does you no good to just deny the overwhelming evidence that points towards traditional marriage being the best way to parent a child.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:58 AM

184 posts, read 205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Refugee View Post

I agree the youth usually think anywhere else is better. In this case though, literally anywhere else IS better ( maybe except for West Virginia) As for your second sentence, I think it's a gross generalization of younger people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi