Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,057 times

Advertisements

Hello

I need to clarify that AmTrak actually stop in Jackson some confusion that it only stops in Meridian (odd considering Jackson is the capital) and how far is the nearest car rental to the station

Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 03:36 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmoton View Post
Hello

I need to clarify that AmTrak actually stop in Jackson some confusion that it only stops in Meridian (odd considering Jackson is the capital) and how far is the nearest car rental to the station

Thanks a bunch
Different lines.
The Crescent stops in Meridian. Goes from New Orleans to Washington, DC.
The City of New Orleans stops in Jackson. New Orleans to Chicago.
In other words, if you are in Meridian and you want to take the train to Jackson, you have to go to New Orleans first.

The Crescent is fun. We've picked it up in Meridian for trips to New Orleans, Atlanta, and an overnight sleeper trip to Washington.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:40 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Different lines.
The Crescent stops in Meridian. Goes from New Orleans to Washington, DC.
The City of New Orleans stops in Jackson. New Orleans to Chicago.
In other words, if you are in Meridian and you want to take the train to Jackson, you have to go to New Orleans first.

The Crescent is fun. We've picked it up in Meridian for trips to New Orleans, Atlanta, and an overnight sleeper trip to Washington.
You have an interesting definition of fun. Tell me why a 20-hour ride to DC, on top of being as expensive as flying, would be fun?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You have an interesting definition of fun. Tell me why a 20-hour ride to DC, on top of being as expensive as flying, would be fun?
Our trip was not about saving money. It was about doing what we wanted to do.
There is just something relaxing about watching the scenery drift by while drinking a cup of coffee and talking with other travelers or reading. The club car is open 24 hours and sometimes we went up there and other times we enjoyed our room.

Overnight travel got us a sleeper. The train arrived in Washington DC at 10AM and it arrived downtown at Union Station, which is where I wanted to be. So we stored our bags and caught a double-decker tour bus to start things off. After the tour, we claimed our bags and went downstairs to the Washington Metro.

To us, the train was part of the fun. I don't care if I never see another airport. When I was working, I traveled almost every week and have been in every state and most continents (49 states and 20 foreign countries). If someone thinks flying is fun they can have my seat.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
When I was working...
Ah, you're retired. Have nothing but free time. Now I get it.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Ah, you're retired. Have nothing but free time. Now I get it.
It makes a world of difference!
But that stuff about 'nothing but free time'? I guess you will have to wait a few years, but that's not exactly how it works.
May you have a happy retirement, when your day comes.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
It makes a world of difference!
But that stuff about 'nothing but free time'? I guess you will have to wait a few years, but that's not exactly how it works.
May you have a happy retirement, when your day comes.
I'm ten years and change away from retirement. Tell me, what's taking up your free time? I'm sure it's not WORK!

Old 10-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I'm ten years and change away from retirement. Tell me, what's taking up your free time? I'm sure it's not WORK!
"Depends on your definition of "work".
I maintain our house and 2 rentals. I'm kind of a yard nut as well as a backyard project guy, so that takes time almost every day. I have a water garden where I encourage - if not raise - dragonflies.

I do some traveling. Went on a recent deep sea fishing trip. I walk almost every day. Got an old pickup I work on some. I hope to take a monster trip to Dawson, Yukon Territory, next year in my old pickup.

I read history and get interested in various time periods and places. Exploration of Africa, Mongolian empire, The Age of Exploration - 1850 - 1900, is of particular interest.
And I memorized The Cremation of Sam McGee. (I have no idea why I did that)
Oh... I read Moby Dick. People don't realize how difficult a task that is.
And now that I have time I closely follow The Atlanta Braves. They won their division this year, but lost to The Dodgers. I didn't really think they were strong enough to play The Dodgers. Brewers, either, for that matter. They'll do a little better next year.
And The Stock Market. I have not yet achieved my financial goals, although I expect to in the next year or so, so that takes a little time each day. Reaching my number is important to me, although it won't change anything in my life; just something I gotta do.

See? Retirement can be busy stuff. I don't really have time for real, getting-paid, work!
But we have enjoyed our train trips. Pick up Amtrak in Meridian and go to Atlanta. Arrive in Atlanta about suppertime, and check in to the hotel. Spend the whole day at The Atlanta Aquarium, and then catch the train back to Meridian the next morning. Parking is free in Meridian. Nice station, too. Then just drive home.

We have a navy reunion in New Orleans next Spring, and we'll probably stretch it out and take the train then, too.
I mean, think about it; You fly, and when you 'get there' you are way the hell out of town and you have to continue to take whatever transportation to get where you want to be. You take the train, and when you get there you are really 'there'.
Thanks.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:53 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Can't speak for him, but for me it's mostly golf.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:52 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
"Depends on your definition of "work".
I maintain our house and 2 rentals. I'm kind of a yard nut as well as a backyard project guy, so that takes time almost every day. I have a water garden where I encourage - if not raise - dragonflies.

I do some traveling. Went on a recent deep sea fishing trip. I walk almost every day. Got an old pickup I work on some. I hope to take a monster trip to Dawson, Yukon Territory, next year in my old pickup.

I read history and get interested in various time periods and places. Exploration of Africa, Mongolian empire, The Age of Exploration - 1850 - 1900, is of particular interest.
And I memorized The Cremation of Sam McGee. (I have no idea why I did that)
Oh... I read Moby Dick. People don't realize how difficult a task that is.
And now that I have time I closely follow The Atlanta Braves. They won their division this year, but lost to The Dodgers. I didn't really think they were strong enough to play The Dodgers. Brewers, either, for that matter. They'll do a little better next year.
And The Stock Market. I have not yet achieved my financial goals, although I expect to in the next year or so, so that takes a little time each day. Reaching my number is important to me, although it won't change anything in my life; just something I gotta do.

See? Retirement can be busy stuff. I don't really have time for real, getting-paid, work!
But we have enjoyed our train trips. Pick up Amtrak in Meridian and go to Atlanta. Arrive in Atlanta about suppertime, and check in to the hotel. Spend the whole day at The Atlanta Aquarium, and then catch the train back to Meridian the next morning. Parking is free in Meridian. Nice station, too. Then just drive home.

We have a navy reunion in New Orleans next Spring, and we'll probably stretch it out and take the train then, too.
I mean, think about it; You fly, and when you 'get there' you are way the hell out of town and you have to continue to take whatever transportation to get where you want to be. You take the train, and when you get there you are really 'there'.
Thanks.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. No matter what you do, there's going to be some body who doesn't like it. When I was working I would hear snide comments from younger workers that went something like, "these old geezers need to get out and let these young bucks come in and do that job a lot quicker and cheaper".

Then once I retired, I started hearing lots of comments that goes something like, "he's too young to be retired" or, "these young and healthy retirees have nothing to do but hold up traffic and get in the way. He needs to find his self a job. I bet WalMart needs a greeter."

That's when I decided I'm gonna do whatever I da#n well please to do, whenever I want to do it, and with whom ever I choose to do it with, and I don't care what anybody has to say about it. I spent over 45 years of my life adhereing to somebody else's rules and time schedules. I did what they asked me to and contributed to my 401k and Social Security and now that I have my time in and everything is paid for, it's now *my time* and I'm gonna be a free spirit and come and go as I please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi