U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 04:12 PM

20 posts, read 21,900 times

Advertisements

Hi to everyone!

My wife and I would like to leave our city of 22 years and relocate to a lower elevation for her health. Living in Reno, NV. at 4,500' has not been good for my wife the last 10 years and three doctors have told her that she will improve if she goes back to living near sea level. My wife grew up in San Diego and we had left for 14 years only to return to total sticker shock as we considered going there to retire so, that, and the fact that California is in the process of committing state suicide, it's well off the table.

We recently made a trip to Oregon and Washington to visit family and the entire time, my wife did not have to problems she has suffered with for 10+ years here in Reno. She was able to sleep well and not have constant pain. So, that trip confirmed living at a lower elevation will work.

Oregon would be OK but, it is quicky turning 'blue' everywhere we would like to live and along with that comes all the higher taxes and taxpayer funded services for those who don't contribute anything. Washington only has one area that is not following in the California footsteps of self-destruction but, the areas we can afford have high concentrations of mold-borne illnesses which we can't live in.

So, I have been looking into MS and AL and have a very good work colleague who has offered work for me if we decided to relocate to the Laurel vicinity. I am interested in daily life there especially weather but, also a true assessment of the humidity and how "buggy" it is as my wife doesn't want to live where six months of the year she is bothered by insects. Living at the near sea level elevation of that part of the country will make a big improvement in her health but, it the environment isn't all that good, I don't want to make that move and just be miserable in another way.

Lastly, access to decent health care is another concern as we are both retirement age and my wife does have her share of chronic health issues. Anyone's response is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 09:58 PM

13,632 posts, read 8,554,879 times
"Buggy"? You're darn right, it's buggy. And snakey. And alligatory, too. If she is sensitive to such things I wouldn't try that far South. Even a couple hundred miles farther North would be an improvement. While you're looking, keep in mind the fact that Mississippi is all pretty close to sea level. Even in North Mississippi, you are less than 500 feet above sea level. The highest point in our state is 800 feet.

Best medical facilities are in Tupelo and Jackson.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:43 PM

3,233 posts, read 4,204,503 times
Hattiesburg offers fantastic healthcare options. And Laurel also has a regional medical center. You might want to google pictures of WHO is running those towns, now, and concentrate your house search on places between the two towns. You can generally find video, or audio clips, of those Mayors, Police Chiefs, and City Councilpersons talking, in case the pictures are not enough.

There are bugs out, twelve months of the year. In addition to mosquitoes, wasps, hornets, flies, and gnats, there are FIRE ANTS, and (possibly, depending on how far north they eventually manage to establish themselves) CRAZY ANTS (https://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/m...razy-ants.html). The spider situation is pretty standard for east of the Mississippi River, with plenty of Brown Recluse, Black Widow, and Wolf Spiders.

We moved away before the Crazy Ants started spreading. So I can't speak from personal experience regarding them. Otherwise, though, except for the Fire Ants, the Red Wasps, and the Yellow Jackets, people take the local bugs in stride. You learn never to stand or sit still, outside, in order not to get mosquito bites (spraying poison does little good, and mostly just poisons people, birds, amphibians, and beneficial insects). You learn to keep moving, while in grassy areas, and to look down at your feet, a couple of times a minute, in order to avoid finding a bunch of Fire Ants biting the heck out of your feet and legs.

You learn to never open a window that is without a screen, and to not linger in doorways. A door open for more than a couple of SECONDS, will have admitted at least one mosquito into the house - a mosquito which can keep you awake all night, if it gets into your bedroom. Smart people - the ones who realize they're in Mississippi (and not in California), and that the "Indoor-Outdoor Flow" thing is for people west of the Rockies - make bloody-well-sure their window screens are up and ship-shape. And, instead of the ridiculous "Outdoor Entertaining Areas" they see in magazines, they have their houses fitted with really nice screened porches - and handsome, well-made screened doors - and screened vestibules leading to the doors they plan to actually go through, regularly.

All of this is everyday-life, for those of us who grew up East of the Rockies. We don't even notice. What I've mentioned, is as automatic as breathing. People from 'Out West', however, seem to have to be told about mosquitoes and humidity. Really, only the Fire Ants are impossible to get used to. Those things invade every flower pot you put on the ground, every flower bed, all but the most toxic lawns (we're talking lawns so full of chemicals, they stink like toxic waste dumps, and ruin what's left of your health), and nooks and crannies around your property that you'd never expect them to build on.

The bright side, is that big, 'Fine Brick Dream Homes', are everywhere in the woods surrounding Laurel and Hattiesburg. Southerners have far better taste than people in other parts of the country, and you'll find some beautiful houses, at great prices. There are plenty of docs in the area, who are actual Americans (trained at Ole Miss, and so neither particularly altruistic, nor particularly competent), and so that may be a nice change, if you're used to HMOs offering only docs from alien "cultures".

Old 10-10-2018, 08:08 AM

989 posts, read 610,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Hattiesburg offers fantastic healthcare options. And Laurel also has a regional medical center. You might want to google pictures of WHO is running those towns, now, and concentrate your house search on places between the two towns. You can generally find video, or audio clips, of those Mayors, Police Chiefs, and City Councilpersons talking, in case the pictures are not enough.
Hattiesburg has a new mayor, who is actually a very pro-business type and will be doing good things.

https://www.tobybarker.com/

Laurel's mayor is about what you describe, but he's reached out to the prosperous sections of the population and now Laurel is doing quite well.

Laurel named one of '20 Best Small Towns to Visit in 2018'

Old 10-10-2018, 09:34 AM

2,561 posts, read 1,017,408 times
Sounds like you want ultra-conservative, so MS would be a good fit.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:39 AM

4,740 posts, read 8,795,582 times
Gloria - I attended an extension class on pest control (for fun!) and they brought up crazy ants. The ants don't sting, but they 'mob' their targets, even killing small animals by suffocation. The ants also like electrical equipment, causing shorts and outages.

I occasionally look at magazines showing a happy family relaxing outside, and my first thought is that 'they aren't from around here'.

Totally agree with "Southerners have far better taste..."

Old 10-10-2018, 07:40 PM

8,937 posts, read 5,077,819 times
hattiburg laurel, try 12 months a year buggy, we got mosquito so big the nearby army base paint numbers on their wings

Old 10-11-2018, 06:23 PM

808 posts, read 778,455 times
Laurel named one of '20 Best Small Towns to Visit in 2018

I often wonder if the people who make these lists have actually visited the places they rank (I'm pretty sure I know the answer). I have been to laurel many times and have close family who lives there. For MS, Laurel is fine town and has rebounded nicely, but I don't know if I would even put it on my 20 best small towns in MS to visit list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi