U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2018, 02:40 PM
 
161 posts, read 113,467 times
Reputation: 337

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousPerson11 View Post
Is Greenville, Mississippi and Greenwood, Mississippi a good place to live for a young college graduate making $18,000 to $20,000 annually? What is it actually like to live those specific cities in 2018?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousPerson11 View Post
What is it really like in 2018 living in Greenville and Greenwood?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousPerson11 View Post
Why would it be selfish and inconsiderate to move to Greenwood, MS and Greenville, MS? What is it like to live and survive there in Greenville and Greenwood?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousPerson11 View Post
what is it like today in this age and century living and working in Greenville and Greenwood Mississippi?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousPerson11 View Post
I am young adult with a college education who doesn’t have any children. What can you tell me about Greenville and Greenwood Mississippi?! I am trying to start my first job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousPerson11 View Post
Is Greenwood/Greenville good for someone seeking adventure, enjoys rock music, open to new ideas, interracial relationships and happiness?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousPerson11 View Post
Then who is the Mississippi Delta - Greenville / Greenwood really for if not for college graduates and recent graduates? What is your experience like in Greenville/Greenwood and Mississippi Delta?
So we are now up to basically 7 instances of the exact same question in a three page thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2018, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
991 posts, read 610,969 times
Reputation: 610
LoL , well this is quite somethings else.

You'll have to take a trip to both cities to get an idea which you will have a preference. Everyday life is no different from any non metropolitan small cities near your way. Greenville is the largest cities in Mississippi Delta at 30K+ & Greenwood is 14K. These places are urbanized areas.

Now as far people go you will meet other peers that are into similar interest as you. Job wise since your starting out between 18K-20K , you will have to manage your money wisely. Plenty of low-income apartments will be available but if you don't want to go that route then you'll be looking for rent to be in the range of $500-700.

As far mixed dating, it's going to be iffy. I'm just speaking from my perspective as a young Black person. Your in the area with the highest concentration of Blacks in Mississippi and mixed dating is relevant but very low. People tend to be 2 face on the acceptance of it or speak on it straight forward.

The problem here on this forum is you don't have enough people who LIVES in certain cities CURRENTLY to give you indepth details. Overall wish you the most success in your career path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2018, 12:55 PM
 
473 posts, read 718,093 times
Reputation: 883
i live in Greenville and have all my life. 20k a year is doable for a single person if you manage your money well. Keep in mind there is no uber(not really tho i have seen a couple social media posts saying we have 1 driver here now) and no mass transit. if you go to work for WABG the studio is downtown across from the courthouse. you can either live ina dangerous apartment for low rent(and probably replace your belongings every month or two) or you can live in a more upscale apartment at the Loft, which will consume most of your take home pay. BUT you will still need a vehicle to get around, no food delivery services other than Domino's Pizza and no stores within walking distance of down town residences. The food places downtown are high cost for your budget, expect lunch to run 10.00 and supper to run 12-15.00 or more. So you will need to plan on cooking regularly!


Most other apartment complexes are further away from downtown, and again not within walking distance of stores. But they are safer(The Lofts are safe as they have security from what i am told) than the ones closer to to downtown. Don't get me wrong, we are not talking huge distances as you can drive from one end of town to any other end in under 5 minutes. expect sticker shock when buying your car tag, depending on age and if you live in town or in teh county it can be high. My truck is 7 model years old and still the tag is 150.00 a year! For your needs i'd buy a 3-5k car and if you should move on elsewhere you can sell it pretty quickly.


You keep asking about interracial relationships. While still not super common, fewer whites here have a problem with it. Blakcs on the other hand tend to outcast other blacks that date outside their race. just how it is, so don't expect to make friends in the black community very easily.


Also, you keep bringing up Greenwood since it is part of the market, but like i said earlier the studio is in Greenville and so you will likely need to reside here unless you do have a reliable car to drive 100+ miles roundtrip daily. The transmitter site is closer to Greenwood and the studios were originally over there, but to my knowledge now everythign is done here. They even merged WABG/WXVT a couple years ago, so you cannot go across town to the competitor for a better offer. you get in tv media here, and you are stuck with 1 employer. MOST new faces(i actually watch local news daily) tend to do the morning and weekend shows. They last 6-12 months then move on to larger markets and better pay. Hey you have to start somewhere and this is not THAT bad a start, just be aware that it ain't a great start either.


Oh, and don't plan on being able to go to theme parks, concerts, etc... while here, you WILL have to travel several hours away for anything like that. there are 2 casinos, the one out by teh bridge has "concerts" fairly regularly but they are all old artists well past prime. very rarely do any bars have live bands anymore, they either have a DJ or do karaoke.


you ask who is it for if not for college grads, well it should speak volumes to you when the vast majority of grads from this area move elsewhere after college, regardless of field of their degree. the ones that come back here are generally because they got a degree in something related to their family business and thus have a secure job already.


finally, if you are here during spring/summer/fall resign yourself to not stepping outside after dark. the skeeters will carry you away! you get a break during winter, though we rarely actually stay below freezing more3 than a couple days at a time so it is not uncommon at all to have mosquitos in the house at any time of year. mid summer to early fall is the worst, that is when the tiger striped ones come out and those suckers thrive even in bright sunshine.


My advice would be to lookup a few former WABG employees and message them about how life was so much different here than "back home". it is an experience, so as long as you are fully prepared and still willing i would say try it. but don't say you have not been warned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2018, 03:48 PM
 
17 posts, read 7,179 times
Reputation: 15
I have reached to folks at WABG/WXVT (both past and present) and they will not share anything to anyone. You say that you watch local news daily. What is their evening news like? I noticed on their website and social pages that they don't live-stream their newscasts or even an mobile app. You said: ”Hey you have to start somewhere and this is not THAT bad a start, just be aware that it ain't a great start either.” Are you saying Greenville is not a great start because of everything that been said regarding the town? I have family members who are not from Mississippi telling me that the Mississippi Delta is not a good place to start a career and not a good place for one to go by themselves.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
i live in Greenville and have all my life. 20k a year is doable for a single person if you manage your money well. Keep in mind there is no uber(not really tho i have seen a couple social media posts saying we have 1 driver here now) and no mass transit. if you go to work for WABG the studio is downtown across from the courthouse. you can either live ina dangerous apartment for low rent(and probably replace your belongings every month or two) or you can live in a more upscale apartment at the Loft, which will consume most of your take home pay. BUT you will still need a vehicle to get around, no food delivery services other than Domino's Pizza and no stores within walking distance of down town residences. The food places downtown are high cost for your budget, expect lunch to run 10.00 and supper to run 12-15.00 or more. So you will need to plan on cooking regularly!


Most other apartment complexes are further away from downtown, and again not within walking distance of stores. But they are safer(The Lofts are safe as they have security from what i am told) than the ones closer to to downtown. Don't get me wrong, we are not talking huge distances as you can drive from one end of town to any other end in under 5 minutes. expect sticker shock when buying your car tag, depending on age and if you live in town or in teh county it can be high. My truck is 7 model years old and still the tag is 150.00 a year! For your needs i'd buy a 3-5k car and if you should move on elsewhere you can sell it pretty quickly.


You keep asking about interracial relationships. While still not super common, fewer whites here have a problem with it. Blakcs on the other hand tend to outcast other blacks that date outside their race. just how it is, so don't expect to make friends in the black community very easily.


Also, you keep bringing up Greenwood since it is part of the market, but like i said earlier the studio is in Greenville and so you will likely need to reside here unless you do have a reliable car to drive 100+ miles roundtrip daily. The transmitter site is closer to Greenwood and the studios were originally over there, but to my knowledge now everythign is done here. They even merged WABG/WXVT a couple years ago, so you cannot go across town to the competitor for a better offer. you get in tv media here, and you are stuck with 1 employer. MOST new faces(i actually watch local news daily) tend to do the morning and weekend shows. They last 6-12 months then move on to larger markets and better pay. Hey you have to start somewhere and this is not THAT bad a start, just be aware that it ain't a great start either.


Oh, and don't plan on being able to go to theme parks, concerts, etc... while here, you WILL have to travel several hours away for anything like that. there are 2 casinos, the one out by teh bridge has "concerts" fairly regularly but they are all old artists well past prime. very rarely do any bars have live bands anymore, they either have a DJ or do karaoke.


you ask who is it for if not for college grads, well it should speak volumes to you when the vast majority of grads from this area move elsewhere after college, regardless of field of their degree. the ones that come back here are generally because they got a degree in something related to their family business and thus have a secure job already.


finally, if you are here during spring/summer/fall resign yourself to not stepping outside after dark. the skeeters will carry you away! you get a break during winter, though we rarely actually stay below freezing more3 than a couple days at a time so it is not uncommon at all to have mosquitos in the house at any time of year. mid summer to early fall is the worst, that is when the tiger striped ones come out and those suckers thrive even in bright sunshine.


My advice would be to lookup a few former WABG employees and message them about how life was so much different here than "back home". it is an experience, so as long as you are fully prepared and still willing i would say try it. but don't say you have not been warned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2018, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
991 posts, read 610,969 times
Reputation: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
i live in Greenville and have all my life. 20k a year is doable for a single person if you manage your money well. Keep in mind there is no uber(not really tho i have seen a couple social media posts saying we have 1 driver here now) and no mass transit. if you go to work for WABG the studio is downtown across from the courthouse. you can either live ina dangerous apartment for low rent(and probably replace your belongings every month or two) or you can live in a more upscale apartment at the Loft, which will consume most of your take home pay. BUT you will still need a vehicle to get around, no food delivery services other than Domino's Pizza and no stores within walking distance of down town residences. The food places downtown are high cost for your budget, expect lunch to run 10.00 and supper to run 12-15.00 or more. So you will need to plan on cooking regularly!


Most other apartment complexes are further away from downtown, and again not within walking distance of stores. But they are safer(The Lofts are safe as they have security from what i am told) than the ones closer to to downtown. Don't get me wrong, we are not talking huge distances as you can drive from one end of town to any other end in under 5 minutes. expect sticker shock when buying your car tag, depending on age and if you live in town or in teh county it can be high. My truck is 7 model years old and still the tag is 150.00 a year! For your needs i'd buy a 3-5k car and if you should move on elsewhere you can sell it pretty quickly.


You keep asking about interracial relationships. While still not super common, fewer whites here have a problem with it. Blakcs on the other hand tend to outcast other blacks that date outside their race. just how it is, so don't expect to make friends in the black community very easily.


Also, you keep bringing up Greenwood since it is part of the market, but like i said earlier the studio is in Greenville and so you will likely need to reside here unless you do have a reliable car to drive 100+ miles roundtrip daily. The transmitter site is closer to Greenwood and the studios were originally over there, but to my knowledge now everythign is done here. They even merged WABG/WXVT a couple years ago, so you cannot go across town to the competitor for a better offer. you get in tv media here, and you are stuck with 1 employer. MOST new faces(i actually watch local news daily) tend to do the morning and weekend shows. They last 6-12 months then move on to larger markets and better pay. Hey you have to start somewhere and this is not THAT bad a start, just be aware that it ain't a great start either.


Oh, and don't plan on being able to go to theme parks, concerts, etc... while here, you WILL have to travel several hours away for anything like that. there are 2 casinos, the one out by teh bridge has "concerts" fairly regularly but they are all old artists well past prime. very rarely do any bars have live bands anymore, they either have a DJ or do karaoke.


you ask who is it for if not for college grads, well it should speak volumes to you when the vast majority of grads from this area move elsewhere after college, regardless of field of their degree. the ones that come back here are generally because they got a degree in something related to their family business and thus have a secure job already.


finally, if you are here during spring/summer/fall resign yourself to not stepping outside after dark. the skeeters will carry you away! you get a break during winter, though we rarely actually stay below freezing more3 than a couple days at a time so it is not uncommon at all to have mosquitos in the house at any time of year. mid summer to early fall is the worst, that is when the tiger striped ones come out and those suckers thrive even in bright sunshine.


My advice would be to lookup a few former WABG employees and message them about how life was so much different here than "back home". it is an experience, so as long as you are fully prepared and still willing i would say try it. but don't say you have not been warned!

I would say it seem to be reverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 05:46 AM
 
17 posts, read 7,179 times
Reputation: 15
Could you clarify your statement? What do you mean by this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post

I would say it seem to be reverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 06:46 AM
 
161 posts, read 113,467 times
Reputation: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousPerson11 View Post
Could you clarify your statement? What do you mean by this?
gvillesux is saying that if a black person dates a white person, blacks tend to outcast those blacks because they're dating outside their race.
Sharif662 is saying it's the other way around.. if a white person dates a black person, whites tend to outcast those whites because they're dating outside their race.

This is Mississippi. Half black, half white. They never agree. Constant race wars. You excited to come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 07:00 AM
 
Location: South Austin, 78745
2,959 posts, read 2,112,043 times
Reputation: 5038
It sounds like you're not going to be satisfied with anybody's well thought out answers to your questions in this thread, as one answer always leads to another question.

What you need to do is take a trip to Greenwood and Greenville for a few days and see for yourself what it's like, then you decide if you would like to live and work there or not.

Or, you can decide to make up your mind and just go for it. Roll the dice and move and hope for the best. Maybe it will work out for you or maybe it won't, but it won't bad thing if it doesn't work out. You can always go back to where you came from and chalk it up as a learning experience. It won't be the end of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2018, 03:55 PM
 
473 posts, read 718,093 times
Reputation: 883
it is a small town very poor area, so not a great start and not much to keep a young person occupied. my work had me travelling for several years and small town MS Delta is a different world than small town Eastern US.


and yes, in my experience here whites HAVE become much more accepting of other whites dating blacks. but blacks don't accept it as easily. i can say this because i have several family members that have or are dating blacks. they tell you quick the hardest part is being accepted from the black families/friends. i can remember growing up in the 80's it was exactly the opposite, if a white person dated a black person they would be outcast from the white community quickly. many of the 50+ age bracket still look at it this way, but most everyone below 50 is just "whatever makes you happy" type of folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 09:45 PM
 
123 posts, read 69,083 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
How many times are you going to ask the same exact question? Greenville and Greenwood aren't "FOR" anyone.. They're both just once-thriving farming towns that are now impoverished with extremely high rates of unemployment and people that aren't contributing to society. The entire Delta is this way... Not exactly a place that anyone wants to visit unless they have to for work or to visit family that are still stuck.
This. Exactly this. Not sure why you are so set on it, OP. There's a great big country out there with lots of great options for a young person. I wouldn't include Greenville or Greenwood in those options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top