U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2018, 05:41 AM
 
17 posts, read 7,168 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Is Greenville, Mississippi and Greenwood, Mississippi a good place to live for a young college graduate making $18,000 to $20,000 annually? What is it actually like to live those specific cities in 2018? Can they financially survive in both Greenville and Greenwood, MS as well as the Mississippi Delta making $10.00 to $11.00 dollars per hour? The graduate is not from Mississippi and is more than 1,000 miles from their home. The job they are doing is not in agriculture nor education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2018, 08:08 AM
 
Location: South Austin, 78745
2,951 posts, read 2,107,865 times
Reputation: 5022
That doesn't sound like much money for a college graduate. I think it would be extremely difficult to make a living anywhere in the United States on $20,000 a year without an additional supplemental income.

10$ an hour is $400 a week before taxes, probably around $350 after taxes, or about $1400 a month. A person might be able to live on that if s/he can find a place to live for $500 a month, but then s/he would still have utilities, internet, cable, insurance, transportation expenses, food, gas, day to day living expenses to pay. One can pretty much forget about trying to save any money for a rainy day.

After everything is paid, a person won't have much money left over for entertainment and fun things to do on his or her days off , which might make living so far from home more difficult if s/he doesn't have friends or family nearby to spend her/his idle/free time with, which could lead to lonliness and a severe case of depression. They probably wouldn't even be able to afford a weekend get-away trip to Memphis, Jackson or New Orleans.

Bottom line, I would not reccomend your friend move a thousand miles from home to a small town where s/he doesn't know anybody for no more than a $10 an hour job.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 10-22-2018 at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 09:12 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,458 posts, read 8,479,915 times
Reputation: 19570
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousPerson11 View Post
Is Greenville, Mississippi and Greenwood, Mississippi a good place to live for a young college graduate making $18,000 to $20,000 annually? What is it actually like to live those specific cities in 2018? Can they financially survive in both Greenville and Greenwood, MS as well as the Mississippi Delta making $10.00 to $11.00 dollars per hour? The graduate is not from Mississippi and is more than 1,000 miles from their home. The job they are doing is not in agriculture nor education.
I could. But I can't speak for anyone else.
If the basic question is, "Are prices low enough, and housing available enough for me to survive?", then my answer is yes.
I can't speak for what it is like; I can tell you the reputation is rough for both cities as well as the rest of The Delta. Greenwood is better than Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 11:32 AM
 
17 posts, read 7,168 times
Reputation: 15
The person does neither have any family nor friends in Mississippi. What if they canít find second or third job in the area and also cannot find a roommate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
That doesn't sound like much money for a college graduate. I think it would be extremely difficult to make a living anywhere in the United States on $20,000 a year without an additional supplemental income.

10$ an hour is $400 a week before taxes, probably around $350 after taxes, or about $1400 a month. A person might be able to live on that if s/he can find a place to live for $500 a month, but then s/he would still have utilities, internet, cable, insurance, transportation expenses, food, gas, day to day living expenses to pay. One can pretty much forget about trying to save any money for a rainy day.

After everything is paid, a person won't have much money left over for entertainment and fun things to do on his or her days off , which might make living so far from home more difficult if s/he doesn't have friends or family nearby to spend her/his idle/free time with, which could lead to lonliness and a severe case of depression. They probably wouldn't even be able to afford a weekend get-away trip to Memphis, Jackson or New Orleans.

Bottom line, I would not reccomend your friend move a thousand miles from home to a small town where s/he doesn't know anybody for no more than a $10 an hour job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 11:37 AM
 
17 posts, read 7,168 times
Reputation: 15
What is it really like in 2018 living in Greenville and Greenwood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I could. But I can't speak for anyone else.
If the basic question is, "Are prices low enough, and housing available enough for me to survive?", then my answer is yes.
I can't speak for what it is like; I can tell you the reputation is rough for both cities as well as the rest of The Delta. Greenwood is better than Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 12:34 PM
 
Location: South Austin, 78745
2,951 posts, read 2,107,865 times
Reputation: 5022
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousPerson11 View Post
The person does neither have any family nor friends in Mississippi. What if they can’t find second or third job in the area and also cannot find a roommate?
If that person is willing to settle for a $10 an hour job, s/he would be best to stay someplace nearby where s/he has emotional and occasional financial support and find a $10 an hour job there. They are a dime a dozen all over the country. I would tell that person that it would be very selfish and inconsiderate to move 1000 miles away to a small town where s/he knows absolutely nobody and then become burden to the tax payers, who many, if not most local tax payers would come to resent that person for it, not to mention the local person who didn't get that job. I would remind that person that at $20,000 a year, chances are good that person will need some kind of financial government assistance in order to get by, either section 8, food stamps or welfare.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 10-22-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 03:11 PM
 
17 posts, read 7,168 times
Reputation: 15
Why would it be selfish and inconsiderate to move to Greenwood, MS and Greenville, MS? What is it like to live and survive there in Greenville and Greenwood? What if the person denied for Housing Section 8, welfare, and other kinds of government assistance or simply cannot get government assistance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
If that person is willing to settle for a $10 an hour job, s/he would be best to stay someplace nearby where s/he has emotional and occasional financial support and find a $10 an hour job there. They are a dime a dozen all over the country. I would tell that person that it would be very selfish and inconsiderate to move 1000 miles away to a small town where s/he knows absolutely nobody and then become burden to the tax payers, who many, if not most local tax payers would come to resent that person for it, not to mention the local person who didn't get that job. I would remind that person that at $20,000 a year, chances are good that person will need some kind of financial government assistance in order to get by, either section 8, food stamps or welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 03:37 PM
 
633 posts, read 629,137 times
Reputation: 632
Why would this person who has a college degree only want to make $20,000 a year? Greenwood is one of the bright spots in the delta along with Cleveland. Greenville is a horrible place and should be avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 03:45 PM
 
Location: South Austin, 78745
2,951 posts, read 2,107,865 times
Reputation: 5022
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousPerson11 View Post
Why would it be selfish and inconsiderate to move to Greenwood, MS and Greenville, MS? What is it like to live and survive there in Greenville and Greenwood? What if the person denied for Housing Section 8, welfare, and other kinds of government assistance or simply cannot get government assistance?
It's selfish because that person is thinking only of his or her self knowing full well he or she will most likely end up on government assistance and it's inconsiderate to expect taxpayers to support somebody because of a series of bad decisions.

I don't live in Greenville or Greenwood or Mississippi, but I would not advise anybody to move to any small town 1000 miles away where that person would be a complete and total stranger for nothing more than a $10 an hour job. If that person is denied govt assistance, then maybe that person should just go back to where he or she has friends and/or family to fall back on, or end up on the street.

"What if".."What if"...you can "what if" it to death. Just let that person go on and make his or her own mistakes and hopefully he or she will learn from them and become a wiser person for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2018, 04:10 PM
 
17 posts, read 7,168 times
Reputation: 15
Their specific degree field starts out between $18,000 to $29,000 (depends on the geographical location market size and the job position) See Small Market, Big Dreams [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1lwjVw_low] [https://www.advancingthestory.com/20...s-big-dreams/] what is it like today in this age and century living and working in Greenville and Greenwood Mississippi?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Why would this person who has a college degree only want to make $20,000 a year? Greenwood is one of the bright spots in the delta along with Cleveland. Greenville is a horrible place and should be avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:33 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top