U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 08:42 AM

6,510 posts, read 8,970,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I was calling the area “desert” based on the amount of rainfall.
Paradise California, where the large wildfire just occurred, averages over 30 inches of rain per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 07:32 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,608,669 times
Mississippi...
Let’s see.
I came here kicking and screaming some 30 years ago from a major northeastern city. I see both sides. The rural atmosphere and its attendant simplicity in all things made me crazy. But I found my sea legs after a few years and am still here! Why? Well...within the closed society that blankets much of the state there is an element of openness in pockets of the educated, well-travelled, enterprising populace that exists here. Within this strata of life here there is tolerance and acceptance for all. There is liberal and progressive thought, discerning taste, love and appreciation of the arts. Weather works great in winter...golf is cheap. Housing is quite affordable. People are cheerful and sunny. Everywhere. Smiles and greetings wherever you go. I got used to this. Can’t imagine living elsewhere. Google “Mississippi Believe it” Facebook page or “FestivalSouth Mississippi”.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Well...within the closed society that blankets much of the state there is an element of openness in pockets of the educated, well-travelled, enterprising populace that exists here.

That's a pretty marginal portion of the state's population, especially when compared against other states.

Quote:
Within this strata of life here there is tolerance and acceptance for all.

Tolerance and acceptance of all? This is the most asinine and categorically false statement I've seen in this thread.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:17 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,095,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Tolerance and acceptance of all? This is the most asinine and categorically false statement I've seen in this thread.
I have been to quite a few places, and I haven't seen tolerance and acceptance for ALL in any of them. There will always be people who don't accept a person's religious views, appearance, skin color, etc. I don't think Mississippi would be any different.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
That's a pretty marginal portion of the state's population, especially when compared against other states.

Listen...I am not trying to compare. I am trying to describe the particular situation in Mississippi especially South Mississippi around Hattiesburg to the coast. I have lived here for 40 years, worked in academia, and socialized among a rather large swath of people including teachers, researchers, artists, entrepreneurs, artisans, retirees from outside the area, and talented people in law, politics, and entertainment. I am stating that there is another aspect of life for those who are expressing an interest in relocating but only have the broader view commonly held about the state to go on. If one can not access this marginal portion then he can decide not to come. But if one is seeking to retire, for example, with an interest in, say, a university town and has adequate income, another lifestyle is possible beyond dirt roads and shacks.

As I stated, I have been here for years and do not dismiss the historical remnants that remain and blatant stupidity and bigotry that exist...but let me mention that my home state of Pennsylvania voted in our auspicious president as well. America has elements of Mississippi everywhere. Again I am saying that communities where people accept differences does exist and if one chooses location wisely there can be a life with diversity. I would encourage people to be cautious and test the waters for themselves. You obviously have had a totally different experience.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
As I stated, I have been here for years and do not dismiss the historical remnants that remain and blatant stupidity and bigotry that exist...but let me mention that my home state of Pennsylvania voted in our auspicious president as well. America has elements of Mississippi everywhere. Again I am saying that communities where people accept differences does exist and if one chooses location wisely there can be a life with diversity. I would encourage people to be cautious and test the waters for themselves. You obviously have had a totally different experience.
I remember when I lived and served in Mississippi in the Navy, I had to attend and perform the colors at a Navy veteran's funeral. This was before Google Maps was popular, we relied on Map Quest for our directions. Along the way we became lost trying to find the site. We found a white cop sitting in his car parked on the side of the road in this small town of about 5,000 people. We asked him the directions to the cemetery, he went on radio and said, "Anyone know of a negro funeral happening in town?"

Old 01-21-2019, 10:21 AM

Yes, absolutely. Not dismissing your experience. Small town, rural, isn’t the only aspect, however. Let me mention,also, that at the time I first came here in the early 70s I had people ask me to bring my husband by when I needed assistance at a bank or home store. Women were not expected to purchase a home as a single person. Slowly things changed as decades went by for both gender and racial equality. I see the changes. I can’t speak for other parts of the state and I have no experience in smaller out of the way towns but where I have lived and spent time, and that is what I am speaking about, diverse communities do exist.

This multi year MLK breakfast took place this morning. Diverse audience. You can extrapolate from this to other events particularly in the university towns. Just trying to broaden the perspective, not denying the other realities.

Mississippi UMC Leader Speaker for MLK Jr. Prayer Breakfast Jan. 21 at USM | Southern Miss Now

Old 01-21-2019, 12:17 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,278,857 times
Quote:
. Google “Mississippi Believe it” Facebook page or “FestivalSouth Mississippi”.
I looked up Mississippi Believe it. That's really cool.
Thank you for sharing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or