U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2019, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,521 posts, read 9,399,709 times
Reputation: 6667

Advertisements

Does Mississippi need someone like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to rise up and save us benighted reactionaries from ourselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2019, 09:46 AM
 
Location: The South
5,214 posts, read 3,627,108 times
Reputation: 7891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Does Mississippi need someone like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to rise up and save us benighted reactionaries from ourselves?
Surely you jest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 10:21 AM
 
808 posts, read 778,455 times
Reputation: 1526
Heck yeah! Maybe she could run off Nissan, Toyota, Ingalls and CSpire!

How can anyone think that making Amazon pull out of a deal to build an HQ in their area is a good thing? I understand they are getting taxpayer subsidies, but the payoff will be many times fold the expenditures.

Initially, I thought giving Nissan so many incentives to build in Canton was a bad deal, well I couldn't have been more off base. Turned out that was a great deal for the metro and the entire state.

It's a double-edged sword, the state has gotten burned many times when getting involved with shady deals (beef plant), but when you can partner with reputable, international companies, it's usually a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 11:17 AM
 
Location: North Jackson
1,964 posts, read 3,169,267 times
Reputation: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Heck yeah! Maybe she could run off Nissan, Toyota, Ingalls and CSpire!

How can anyone think that making Amazon pull out of a deal to build an HQ in their area is a good thing? I understand they are getting taxpayer subsidies, but the payoff will be many times fold the expenditures.

Initially, I thought giving Nissan so many incentives to build in Canton was a bad deal, well I couldn't have been more off base. Turned out that was a great deal for the metro and the entire state.

It's a double-edged sword, the state has gotten burned many times when getting involved with shady deals (beef plant), but when you can partner with reputable, international companies, it's usually a good thing.
None of this has anything to do with AOC. She was completely not involved in the Amazon vs NYC situation. That was all about local city councilmen.

Find another reason to hate AOC. NYC losing Amazon isn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 11:23 AM
 
Location: North Jackson
1,964 posts, read 3,169,267 times
Reputation: 2537
Mississippian's HATE each other. Whites hate blacks, blacks distrust whites. Rich hate the poor, the poor hate themselves and other poor people. Everyone thinks "If x gets something, that's money out of MY pocket." Everyone claims to be religious, but no one loves thy neighbor.

So no, a progressive can never be successful in an environment where people hate each other, and actively wish bad things on their neighbors. This state will never support healthcare for all, or a living minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
991 posts, read 610,229 times
Reputation: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Mississippian's HATE each other. Whites hate blacks, blacks distrust whites. Rich hate the poor, the poor hate themselves and other poor people. Everyone thinks "If x gets something, that's money out of MY pocket." Everyone claims to be religious, but no one loves thy neighbor.

So no, a progressive can never be successful in an environment where people hate each other, and actively wish bad things on their neighbors. This state will never support healthcare for all, or a living minimum wage.
Most people don't like those things because they don't work economically, not because of hate.

Anything where the government forces people to do things won't be good. A good government REGULATES, not dictates. You can't tell people what to do.

Hate is a strong word, and progressive people like to throw it around as a catch all. Most people don't hate the other group, and most conservatives don't hate AOC. No matter how many times you say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
991 posts, read 610,229 times
Reputation: 1452
OP, to answer your question - a resounding NO. She's fine for NY, but terrible for MS.

Mississippi needs job creators and innovators. We don't have any money, so if progressives wanted to pay for this or that, they could not do it. When we are as big as GA, we can start talking about all those 'feel-good' progressive programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,070 posts, read 2,114,093 times
Reputation: 1416
I surely don't hate AOC, for any reason. I do think she is clueless and doesn't realize her stance on Energy and Oil, the environment, border security, and 70 - 90% tax on the rich is not sustainable or realistic. If I was rich and was about to be taxed 70 - 90% I am moving out of the USA and taking my tax dollars and jobs elsewhere, because at that point I do not want to live in a socialist country or support people who are unwilling to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 12:09 PM
 
808 posts, read 778,455 times
Reputation: 1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
None of this has anything to do with AOC. She was completely not involved in the Amazon vs NYC situation. That was all about local city councilmen.

Find another reason to hate AOC. NYC losing Amazon isn't it.
This is a direct quote from AOC:

"Anything is possible: today was the day a group of dedicated, everyday New Yorkers & their neighbors defeated Amazon’s corporate greed, its worker exploitation, and the power of the richest man in the world."

Also, a direct quote from an Authorized Amazon Spokesperson:

"If you talk to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, it's 'Never Amazon,'" Jodi Seth, the head of policy communications for Amazon, told NBC News in an interview on Thursday. "If you talk to [New York City Councilman Jimmy] Van Bramer, it's unions."

AOC is not the lone cause (and maybe not even the overriding factor), but she's part of it and the head cheerleader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2019, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
991 posts, read 610,229 times
Reputation: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
This is a direct quote from AOC:

"Anything is possible: today was the day a group of dedicated, everyday New Yorkers & their neighbors defeated Amazon’s corporate greed, its worker exploitation, and the power of the richest man in the world."

Also, a direct quote from an Authorized Amazon Spokesperson:

"If you talk to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, it's 'Never Amazon,'" Jodi Seth, the head of policy communications for Amazon, told NBC News in an interview on Thursday. "If you talk to [New York City Councilman Jimmy] Van Bramer, it's unions."

AOC is not the lone cause (and maybe not even the overriding factor), but she's part of it and the head cheerleader.
Yeah I have another Democrat buddy and he says, "AOC is just the right-wing's puppet of HATE to distract from the Orange Brute". Total disregard for what AOC herself says and does. Doesn't matter, he's going to take up for her. Because reasons, right Jackson Panther?

Political loyalties have really gotten out of control, and the left is worse, because they are driven by emotion rather than logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top