U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2019, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,912 posts, read 1,612,947 times
Reputation: 3367

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
California is like a beautiful woman, she can be dumb as dirt, treat everyone like crap, put little effort into her job or relationships, yet she is the most popular person everywhere she goes.
I am a California native and I think this is funny as hell. Don't really agree with it fully on the merits but it is still a good one.

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 03-06-2019 at 01:13 AM..

 
Old 03-06-2019, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
977 posts, read 595,729 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Also, you conveniently lumped the 70's and 80's together.
No I didn't, Jackson Panther did. I simply used the stats he provided. I tried to use decades but that was the best I could do without googling and doing more pointless research.

My point stands.
 
Old 03-06-2019, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Southern California
442 posts, read 526,626 times
Reputation: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
California is like a beautiful woman, she can be dumb as dirt, treat everyone like crap, put little effort into her job or relationships, yet she is the most popular person everywhere she goes.
An outstanding analogy viverlibre! Sadly, beauty is not eternal and this old rose is fading fast. No amount of costly cosmetic surgery can prop up those droopy eyes and dangling-well, you know.


People are not as amused by her unrestrained spending and question the wisdom behind her $100B high-speed train project. After all, California has the highest poverty rate in the nation. Maybe she is a bit senile too.
 
Old 03-06-2019, 04:24 PM
 
12,167 posts, read 18,321,234 times
Reputation: 18877
Not sure why this is in the MS forum.
But it reminds me of the Rolling Stones Exile in Main Street era.

The Stones decided they were paying too much to the British Government in taxes. You think CA was bad? They were paying some 98% in tax. No worries, they moved to the south of france to escape the taxes, hence the "exile". Built there own studio and went on to record one of their best albums in their discography.

Rich pay too much? No problem, if it gets to bad they simply move, along with all the assets, investments, and companies, to somewhere else. If the government taxes too much, they will get nothing.
 
Old 03-06-2019, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,149 posts, read 19,674,065 times
Reputation: 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not sure why this is in the MS forum.
But it reminds me of the Rolling Stones Exile in Main Street era.

The Stones decided they were paying too much to the British Government in taxes. You think CA was bad? They were paying some 98% in tax. No worries, they moved to the south of france to escape the taxes, hence the "exile". Built there own studio and went on to record one of their best albums in their discography.

Rich pay too much? No problem, if it gets to bad they simply move, along with all the assets, investments, and companies, to somewhere else. If the government taxes too much, they will get nothing.
Didnt the rich say they would leave if Obama got elected? And Democrats if Trump was elected? Rich people aren't moving to another country for taxes. Nobody is. People emigrate for life threatening reasons.
 
Old 03-06-2019, 08:42 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,458 posts, read 8,476,946 times
Reputation: 19570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not sure why this is in the MS forum...........
There is actually an answer for that.
I screwed up.
I meant to put it in the "Politics and Controversies" forum, but had a senior moment and forgot where I was. No matter. It seems to create a brisk conversation around here, and I know at least one resident of California who finds our state fascinating and may even move here.
 
Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
977 posts, read 595,729 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Didnt the rich say they would leave if Obama got elected? And Democrats if Trump was elected? Rich people aren't moving to another country for taxes. Nobody is. People emigrate for life threatening reasons.
Wow that is a mad case of delusion.

People move all the time (their families, and their financial interests), to avoid rising costs. Taxes are a cost that must be accounted for. I guess you just ignore all the companies who choose development sites based mainly off tax breaks?

I don’t understand how you form this opinion.
 
Old 03-07-2019, 01:22 AM
 
1,070 posts, read 441,765 times
Reputation: 893
Peter Schiff moved to Puerto Rico to avoid taxes.
 
Old 03-07-2019, 04:26 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,912 posts, read 1,612,947 times
Reputation: 3367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
No I didn't, Jackson Panther did. I simply used the stats he provided. I tried to use decades but that was the best I could do without googling and doing more pointless research.
Ok, fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post

My point stands.
No, your overall point does not stand.

As I noted, California's population growth between 2010 to 2018 was 6.2% and is very comparable to the nation's overall population growth over the same period: 5.96%.

As the nation's most populous state, it is only natural to see a decelerating rate of population growth over time.

Mississippi's population growth:
1970 to 1980: 13.7%
1980 to 1990: 2.1%
1990 to 2000: 10.5%
2000 to 2010: 4.3%
2010 to 2018: 0.6%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi#Demographics

yet no ideological commentary about Mississippi's anemic population growth.....
 
Old 03-07-2019, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Jack-town, Sip by way of AL and FL
977 posts, read 595,729 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Ok, fair enough.



No, your overall point does not stand.

As I noted, California's population growth between 2010 to 2018 was 6.2% and is very comparable to the nation's overall population growth over the same period: 5.96%.

As the nation's most populous state, it is only natural to see a decelerating rate of population growth over time.

Mississippi's population growth:
1970 to 1980: 13.7%
1980 to 1990: 2.1%
1990 to 2000: 10.5%
2000 to 2010: 4.3%
2010 to 2018: 0.6%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi#Demographics

yet no ideological commentary about Mississippi's anemic population growth.....
Uhh, it's pretty much common knowledge that Mississippi has anemic growth. Trying the shaming route won't work here.

I'm glad we agree that California, one of the allegedly greatest states out there, is seeing an incredibly decelerating rate of population growth.

On the other hand, meet Texas (the guy stealing Cali's people, LOL):

1970 to 1980: 27.1%
1980 to 1990: 19.4%
1990 to 2000: 22.8%
2000 to 2010: 20.6%
2010 to 2018: 14.1%

Once the 2020 census comes out that 14.1 will likely be 18 or 19 (after yet ANOTHER few Cali-based companies move their HQ there haha).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top