Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,716 times

Advertisements

Might want to strap in, this is long. Just wanted to provide as much detail as I could.

I want to get this out there first and foremost. I am 100% okay with adults choosing to smoke weed for whatever reason they choose. Years ago, I used to smoke a ton myself. I have been around it many, many times. I am 100% in favor of it being a legal activity to partake in. However, when your habit has negative effects on others, I believe that is a problem.

So my girlfriend and I recently moved into an apartment in Rankin County. All has been great since moving in. We love our unit, the location, the staff, everything was pretty rad from the start. A few days after we moved in, some people moved in directly above us — no problems with them or anything. Apart from the dogs barking occasionally or what sounds like them hulk smashing with their feet every so often, it's all groovy.

This past week/weekend, some new neighbors moved in right beside us on the ground level (As in our door is right beside theirs). That's all cool. Saw them moving in, said hello, but other than that we haven't had any contact with them. We can't usually even tell when they are home most times because they are relatively quiet it seems. The times we can tell they are home, however, when they smoke what seems like enormous amounts of weed. On all but one day this week, we've found our apartment filled with a pungent smell of weed at random times throughout the day. When we come home from work, when we wake up, when I have come home for lunch, and even once when I woke up to take a **** at 4 AM on a weekday - all of these times we find our entire 2BR 2BA apartment to wreak of weed. I am aware that the timing of these events could all be coincidence and it could be another neighbor, but I honestly find that hard to believe.

As I said earlier, my girlfriend is pregnant. The overwhelming smell of it in our apartment is causing her to become extremely nauseous as well as giving her splitting headaches. So not only is she having to deal with waking up and going to work pregnant, but she also has to deal with going into work feeling like absolute crap because of the smell. On top of that issue, I work for a company that does not allow drugs whatsoever (unless prescribed of course). Despite popular belief by weed smokers, weed's smell does "stick" to things. It just doesn't stick as much as something like cigarettes. They just cannot smell it because they are noseblind. We cannot risk me losing my job because of someone else's habit.

We've tried informing them of the habit in casual, non-threatening ways. We've left notes on their door, said loudly through the walls that we smell their weed, exclaimed about how bad it was when we walk into the apartment, and we even put a damn note/bulletin on the lamp post directly in front of the stairs of our building. This has done nothing, however. I tried to be nice about it and to be a "bro", but I cannot accept someone's habit to affect my girlfriend's wellbeing. I compare it to when I used to smoke cigarettes: I tried my damn hardest to never be near high traffic areas, tried to not smell like an ashtray when I was in class, etc. because I did not want to be "that ******* smoker." I don't know how to proceed with this. We need some guidance or something. This is the first apartment I've lived in outside of a college town and I never had issues like this there/never had complaints about myself like this. Wtf do we do?

Relevant lease provision: 14.2.2 You, an Occupant, or any guest or invitee shall not engage in criminal activity, including drug-related criminal activity, on or near the Premises.
"Drug-related criminal activity" means the illegal manufacture, sale, distribution, use or possession with intent to manufacture, sell, distribute, or use of a
controlled substance (as defined in Section 102 of the Controlled Substance Act (21 USC 802)).

TL;dr: New neighbors smoke a lot of weed, makes girlfriend sick, smell could potentially stick to our stuff and cause me to lose my job, efforts to address it have not worked. Help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 11:38 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
What have you said to your apartment manager or LL? Can you place any window unit fans set to blow OUT? Even at a lower speed it may help block the flow from the outside (where the smell and smoke are coming from). What about a fan on a deck or porch blowing away from your unit when you are home? It may not block all of it but could help with the intensity.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:35 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDoMe View Post
Might want to strap in, this is long. Just wanted to provide as much detail as I could.

I want to get this out there first and foremost. I am 100% okay with adults choosing to smoke weed for whatever reason they choose. Years ago, I used to smoke a ton myself. I have been around it many, many times. I am 100% in favor of it being a legal activity to partake in. However, when your habit has negative effects on others, I believe that is a problem.

So my girlfriend and I recently moved into an apartment in Rankin County. All has been great since moving in. We love our unit, the location, the staff, everything was pretty rad from the start. A few days after we moved in, some people moved in directly above us — no problems with them or anything. Apart from the dogs barking occasionally or what sounds like them hulk smashing with their feet every so often, it's all groovy.

This past week/weekend, some new neighbors moved in right beside us on the ground level (As in our door is right beside theirs). That's all cool. Saw them moving in, said hello, but other than that we haven't had any contact with them. We can't usually even tell when they are home most times because they are relatively quiet it seems. The times we can tell they are home, however, when they smoke what seems like enormous amounts of weed. On all but one day this week, we've found our apartment filled with a pungent smell of weed at random times throughout the day. When we come home from work, when we wake up, when I have come home for lunch, and even once when I woke up to take a **** at 4 AM on a weekday - all of these times we find our entire 2BR 2BA apartment to wreak of weed. I am aware that the timing of these events could all be coincidence and it could be another neighbor, but I honestly find that hard to believe.

As I said earlier, my girlfriend is pregnant. The overwhelming smell of it in our apartment is causing her to become extremely nauseous as well as giving her splitting headaches. So not only is she having to deal with waking up and going to work pregnant, but she also has to deal with going into work feeling like absolute crap because of the smell. On top of that issue, I work for a company that does not allow drugs whatsoever (unless prescribed of course). Despite popular belief by weed smokers, weed's smell does "stick" to things. It just doesn't stick as much as something like cigarettes. They just cannot smell it because they are noseblind. We cannot risk me losing my job because of someone else's habit.

We've tried informing them of the habit in casual, non-threatening ways. We've left notes on their door, said loudly through the walls that we smell their weed, exclaimed about how bad it was when we walk into the apartment, and we even put a damn note/bulletin on the lamp post directly in front of the stairs of our building. This has done nothing, however. I tried to be nice about it and to be a "bro", but I cannot accept someone's habit to affect my girlfriend's wellbeing. I compare it to when I used to smoke cigarettes: I tried my damn hardest to never be near high traffic areas, tried to not smell like an ashtray when I was in class, etc. because I did not want to be "that ******* smoker." I don't know how to proceed with this. We need some guidance or something. This is the first apartment I've lived in outside of a college town and I never had issues like this there/never had complaints about myself like this. Wtf do we do?

Relevant lease provision: 14.2.2 You, an Occupant, or any guest or invitee shall not engage in criminal activity, including drug-related criminal activity, on or near the Premises.
"Drug-related criminal activity" means the illegal manufacture, sale, distribution, use or possession with intent to manufacture, sell, distribute, or use of a
controlled substance (as defined in Section 102 of the Controlled Substance Act (21 USC 802)).

TL;dr: New neighbors smoke a lot of weed, makes girlfriend sick, smell could potentially stick to our stuff and cause me to lose my job, efforts to address it have not worked. Help.
Call the law. Of course this will cause other problems, possibly.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:16 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Your pregnant girlfriend and unborn child are the priority here, I see three choices.

1. Move
2. Get Apartment Management involved
3. Drop a dime to 5-0

Obviously, all three will bring a lot of a__pain, but the last two may bring some retribution from the occupants (you may not want to deal with that and a newborn). Maybe management can move you to a better unit close to some older longterm renters?

Old 03-09-2019, 10:29 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Whatever you do, don't call the police.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:43 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Buy a can of smoke odor eliminator. You can find them in a head shop and on Amazon. I smoke weed everyday and I spray smoke eliminator in my mobile home and on my clothing and neither my mobile home nor my clothing smells like weed.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:08 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Tell the apartment manager you want out of the lease because the unit is inhabitable due to the odor.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:48 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Buy a can of smoke odor eliminator. You can find them in a head shop and on Amazon. I smoke weed everyday and I spray smoke eliminator in my mobile home and on my clothing and neither my mobile home nor my clothing smells like weed.
I'm gonna go with nope.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:40 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
It sounds like you have talked to them and tried to be nice, so now it's time to get the landlord involved. It sucks that someone violates the rules and disregards the feelings and well-being of the people around them, and the worst part is YOU will be the bad guy for calling the landlord.

But that is what needs to happen. My attitude is I tried to be nice, but I will not let someone run over me. This person has made the choice to make things hard, so let it get hard. If the landlord can't fix it call police.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:40 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I'm gonna go with nope.
And you'll be way wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi