Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 01:49 PM
lhp lhp started this thread

13 posts, read 20,849 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Diamondhead.

I was reading through their ordinances and noticed they addressed noise.

But do they enforce it?

In previous towns, they had the restrictions for things like Subs ( cars Booming)
But they did not enforce it.

We are looking to move to a more regulated area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 08:03 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,327,792 times
yes very, diamondhead is like a suburb of home owner associates, you cant fart without a permit, and they do have a dairy queen

Old 04-18-2019, 06:32 AM

13,627 posts, read 12,242,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
We are looking to move to Diamondhead.

I was reading through their ordinances and noticed they addressed noise.

But do they enforce it?

In previous towns, they had the restrictions for things like Subs ( cars Booming)
But they did not enforce it.

We are looking to move to a more regulated area.

Thanks
Anywhere you go its a PIA to enforce noise regulations, because Barney Fife has to sit there with the noise meter at 15 feet (or whatever) to actually document the problem.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:49 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,529,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
yes very, diamondhead is like a suburb of home owner associates, you cant fart without a permit, and they do have a dairy queen
Now that's funny. Humor is in the truth. I agree with ya 100%. An hoa is the very reason why I would not even consider living in a neighborhood that has one. The homeowner is forced to join an hoa and then forced to hand over hoa fees each month. If the homeowner doesn't pay his fees, I suppose the hoa can confiscate the house and property? I don't know. Either way, the homeowner will have to go to court. It's no different than a city being allowed to confiscate a homeowner's house and property if the homeowner doesn't pay his or her property taxes.

And the fees are not a small amount of money, either. I heard of some being over $200 a month. I've heard of one hoa that charged $500 a month. And you know, that just like taxes, those fees will get higher as the years pass by. And then you still gotta pay property taxes which can run well over $1000 a year. .

Something about it just seems unconstitutional. If it's not, it should be.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 04-19-2019 at 03:59 AM..

Old 04-19-2019, 10:09 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,942,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Now that's funny. Humor is in the truth. I agree with ya 100%. An hoa is the very reason why I would not even consider living in a neighborhood that has one. The homeowner is forced to join an hoa and then forced to hand over hoa fees each month. If the homeowner doesn't pay his fees, I suppose the hoa can confiscate the house and property? I don't know. Either way, the homeowner will have to go to court. It's no different than a city being allowed to confiscate a homeowner's house and property if the homeowner doesn't pay his or her property taxes.

And the fees are not a small amount of money, either. I heard of some being over $200 a month. I've heard of one hoa that charged $500 a month. And you know, that just like taxes, those fees will get higher as the years pass by. And then you still gotta pay property taxes which can run well over $1000 a year. .

Something about it just seems unconstitutional. If it's not, it should be.
If you do not pay (your dues or fines), all they can do is not allow you to make use of HOA amenities/functions, and ultimately put a lien on your house if you sell it.

But yes, eventually you have to pay.

I keep my properties pristine, so having an HOA never bothered me. Money well spent.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
If you do not pay (your dues or fines), all they can do is not allow you to make use of HOA amenities/functions, and ultimately put a lien on your house if you sell it.

But yes, eventually you have to pay.

I keep my properties pristine, so having an HOA never bothered me. Money well spent.
It just doesn't seem right that a person is forced to join an hoa when they move into a neighborhood. Honestly, I don't see how that ever got to be legal. The cost of the amenities should be included in the price of the house. I could get on board with a fee of no more than $25 to $50 a month, but alot of these hoa fees are well over $100 a month. In my lifetime, in the 1970's and 80's, I've paid rent that was less per month than what some of these hoa's charge today.

If one of the amenities is a neighborhood swimming pool, not everybody wants to swim in the neighborhood pool and they shouldn't be forced to pay for something they are not going to use. Who ever uses the pool should pay for it. Maybe some would just as soon put up an in ground or above ground pool in their own back yard, or go to a lake.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:47 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,645,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It just doesn't seem right that a person is forced to join an hoa when they move into a neighborhood. Honestly, I don't see how that ever got to be legal. The cost of the amenities should be included in the price of the house. I could get on board with a fee of no more than $25 to $50 a month, but alot of these hoa fees are well over $100 a month. In my lifetime, in the 1970's and 80's, I've paid rent that was less per month than what some of these hoa's charge today.

If one of the amenities is a neighborhood swimming pool, not everybody wants to swim in the neighborhood pool and they shouldn't be forced to pay for something they are not going to use. Who ever uses the pool should pay for it. Maybe some would just as soon put up an in ground or above ground pool in their own back yard, or go to a lake.
The community I live in has 8k a month in just landscaping bills(common green areas), not to mention a pool and trails. Of course HOA fees will be higher. Cities prefer areas with HOA as they dont have to do all the violations.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:48 PM

12,583 posts, read 9,091,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock;54981446[B
]It just doesn't seem right that a person is forced to join an hoa when they move into a neighborhood. Honestly, I don't see how that ever got to be legal.[/b] The cost of the amenities should be included in the price of the house. I could get on board with a fee of no more than $25 to $50 a month, but alot of these hoa fees are well over $100 a month. In my lifetime, in the 1970's and 80's, I've paid rent that was less per month than what some of these hoa's charge today.

HOA regulations are all up front ... you know before you buy or even shop if the neighborhood has an HOA. When you close, you sign all sorts of forms agreeing to comply with the restrictions. It's far from illegal; in fact, HOAs very much have legal backing. If you don't like HOAs, nobody's forcing you to live there, but if you do, you agree to the regulations. It's that simple.

They are good for the homeowners and ensure that your neighbors maintain their property and don't decrease the value of yours because you're a slob.

I live in a large HOA, and dues are something like $450 a year. For that, we get a club house, pool, a nice large lake with walking/joggin paths, and most of all, common area maintenance. Keeping the grass areas mowed and leaves picked up, and keeping the neighborhood neat and clean are all well worth the fees.

Basically, if you don't like them, go somewhere else, but don't move in and then complain and try to change the regs. That doesn't go over well with the residents.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
HOA regulations are all up front ... you know before you buy or even shop if the neighborhood has an HOA. When you close, you sign all sorts of forms agreeing to comply with the restrictions. It's far from illegal; in fact, HOAs very much have legal backing. If you don't like HOAs, nobody's forcing you to live there, but if you do, you agree to the regulations. It's that simple.

They are good for the homeowners and ensure that your neighbors maintain their property and don't decrease the value of yours because you're a slob.

I live in a large HOA, and dues are something like $450 a year. For that, we get a club house, pool, a nice large lake with walking/joggin paths, and most of all, common area maintenance. Keeping the grass areas mowed and leaves picked up, and keeping the neighborhood neat and clean are all well worth the fees.

Basically, if you don't like them, go somewhere else, but don't move in and then complain and try to change the regs. That doesn't go over well with the residents.
I agree with ya. It's to each is own. When I move, I'm in it for the long haul. I don't plan selling my property so I don't get stressed out if my neighbor 2 houses away doesn't cut his grass and parks his cars in his yard.

I won't move to a neighborhood that has an hoa. Especially since I'm retired and on a fixed income. Without a doubt, that current hoa fee of $450 a year will increase faster than my social security check as the years fly by. 20 years from now, that hoa fee is liable to be $800 a year. I don't like being forced to pay for amenities and coveniences that I believe the city and property taxes should take care of, such as public parks and swimming pools and walking/biking paths, keeping the streets and sidewalks in good shape and cleared of snow and ice, if need be etc.

To me, hoa fee is no different than going to work for a company and then after 90 days you're forced to join a union and pay monthly union dues. It's like being forced to pay for something I will not need or use.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:04 AM
lhp lhp started this thread

13 posts, read 20,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Thank you for the input.

We have a son with Autism, so quiet is our main priority.

We want to live in the Coast area, but seems Diamondhead so far as been the least trashy and redneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi