Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 05:49 AM

36 posts, read 125,088 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a latin restaurant that serves Barbacoa meat on the weekends (oven cooked meat from the cows head) and/or a Mexican Bakery in the Gulfport/Biloxi area.

I can't believe with all the Latinos in the area that no place serves Barbacoa meat on the weekends, as it's a huge latin tradition to do so, or that someone hasn't opened up a Mexican Bakery (Panaderia) yet. Having moved to MS from TX, I sorely miss these delicious foods.

Please leave me a message here or private message me if you know of any places that serve these foods. I'll even drive an hour or two to get the Barbacoa in case somebody knows where they have them in LA...lol. Thank's Y'all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 07:14 AM

36 posts, read 125,088 times
Default Success!

Success Guys!

I FINALLY found a place that sells both Barbacoa Meat and Mexican Sweet Bread in Gulfport -Yeehaw! The way I found it was by calling other latin businesses in Gulfport and finally someone directed me to a place called Supermercado La Veracruzana on Pass Rd. Here is their comlete info for anyone who is interested:

Supermercado La Veracruzana (people just call it La Veracruzana)

2044 E Pass Rd
Gulfport, MS 39507
(228) 604-3990

I went their this past weekend and purchased their Barbacoa meat. They have two types, the traditional from the cows cheek, and regular briskett type meat. They hold it in the two biggest pots I have ever seen right by the cold meat display where the register is, and the meat was piping hot and ready to serve. I purchased the cows cheek meat, and it was absolutely delicious! It was pricey at $8.00 a pound, but this is something that is only eaten and made on the weekends, so it was worth it, especially considering I haven't been able to find this mexican delicacy in the many years since moving here from TX. Give it a try if you've never had it before, as it is a very rich and moist meat, and eaten in a flour or corn tortilla as a taco. The also give you a complimentary bag of homemade hot sauce, and let me tell you, it was the hottest sauce I have ever eaten...but delicious in small amounts in the barbacoa meat taco.

I haven't tried their sweet breads as I ran out of cash when their, as they DO NOT accept credit cards, which I didn't know until I was at the register..luckily my hubby had cash on him. I'm just so happy the growing latin community here is bringing their delicious foods to our area.

Take care everybody!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:43 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,921,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNightbird View Post
Success Guys!

Supermercado La Veracruzana (people just call it La Veracruzana)

2044 E Pass Rd
Gulfport, MS 39507
(228) 604-3990

Take care everybody!
Hmm...I know that place, passed by there million times (Pass Rd). I do miss barbacoa..now I know. Thanks for the answer.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times
Restaurant Opening! They sell tacos and other delcious traditional Mexican dishes now! Like barbacoa! They also accept credit cards now.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:55 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times
Try La Nortena on Porter Ave in Biloxi. Not sure but I think La Bamba Latin Grocery has it too.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
...The also give you a complimentary bag of homemade hot sauce, and let me tell you, it was the hottest sauce I have ever eaten...but delicious in small amounts in the barbacoa meat taco.
The hottest I have had was a homemade ghost pepper sauce made in Belize, and the second hottest was at a restaurant in Jaurez, pictured below.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
...or that someone hasn't opened up a Mexican Bakery (Panaderia) yet. Having moved to MS from TX, I sorely miss these delicious foods.
Try Panaderia Bakery Latino at 1909 East Pass Rd, Gulfport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi