U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 01:27 PM

10,453 posts, read 7,722,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Man, this is the best description I've heard of the two.

A lot of Starkville's influx was due to Dak Prescott for sure, but very overlooked was the economy that grew around the Golden Triangle LINK. A lot of good jobs have been brought to the 3-county area over the last 20 years plus the Air Force Base.

Ole Miss is a relic of the past, and while they are moving past the stereotypes, it's still a serene college town without much economy outside of the school. Most of their graduates move on while a number of people at MSU can stick around.
Although I prefer Ole Miss and Oxford based on the greenery and layout, MSU and Starkville feel more like "the small town you grew up in" if you grew up in a small town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 01:41 AM

132 posts, read 65,716 times
I just read your list of potential places to live after finishing school. If you're not concerned about crime issues, I will say that Jackson has some great urban neighborhoods. Everyone in this forum knows about the Belhaven, Fondren, and Eastover areas of Jackson which are actually a neat little urban community with lots of personality. Madison and Brandon are both lovely suburban areas outside Jackson, and Belhaven/Fondren/Eastover are the charming and diverse urban piece of the puzzle.

I love that "downtown Fondren" in Jackson is opening its first new hotels along the walkable main street part, and new restaurants, cinemas, and entertainment are under construction. It's evolving from a emerging urban neighborhood to a real one.

The state is helping the city to build all new roads and has allowed individual neighborhoods to form their own taxing districts in order to raise money for cultural and aesthetic enhancements. With all the big institutions all in this one area (state government, colleges and universities, stadium, and four or five huge medical centers) it's kind of a cool area. It just needs a couple of decades to transition from being neat and charming with lots of potential to being truly exciting and urbane.

It's interesting to me that you mentioned places like Vicksburg and Clarksdale. These are places with loads of character but desperately in need of gentrification. Actually Greenwood is the one in that category that I find irresistible. The downtown and historic residential area I think equal Oxford in terms of beauty. And I love the Delta atmosphere. You just have to add a big area of impoverished neighborhoods and a tired commercial highway around the edge of town to complete the picture. But the good part as well as the local culture are divine.

Kind of the same thing with Natchez, which is arguably more beautiful than Oxford both in terms of urban fabric and the natural beauty of the surrounding hills and forests. If they had an economy down there (can someone build a large university there, please?), Natchez would be Oxford on steroids.

I think you mentioned Ocean Springs, Pass Christian and Bay St. Louis on the Coast. All three are postcard beautiful. I don't know of anywhere else on earth that offers their unique combination of five things; (wide-open ocean/gulf; sugar white beaches; giant live oaks, lush green lawns; and historic southern architecture) all wrapped up into one serene package. As far as I know, that setting does not exist anywhere else on earth.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:24 AM

154 posts, read 40,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I just read your list of potential places to live after finishing school. If you're not concerned about crime issues, I will say that Jackson has some great urban neighborhoods. Everyone in this forum knows about the Belhaven, Fondren, and Eastover areas of Jackson which are actually a neat little urban community with lots of personality. Madison and Brandon are both lovely suburban areas outside Jackson, and Belhaven/Fondren/Eastover are the charming and diverse urban piece of the puzzle.

I love that "downtown Fondren" in Jackson is opening its first new hotels along the walkable main street part, and new restaurants, cinemas, and entertainment are under construction. It's evolving from a emerging urban neighborhood to a real one.

The state is helping the city to build all new roads and has allowed individual neighborhoods to form their own taxing districts in order to raise money for cultural and aesthetic enhancements. With all the big institutions all in this one area (state government, colleges and universities, stadium, and four or five huge medical centers) it's kind of a cool area. It just needs a couple of decades to transition from being neat and charming with lots of potential to being truly exciting and urbane.

It's interesting to me that you mentioned places like Vicksburg and Clarksdale. These are places with loads of character but desperately in need of gentrification. Actually Greenwood is the one in that category that I find irresistible. The downtown and historic residential area I think equal Oxford in terms of beauty. And I love the Delta atmosphere. You just have to add a big area of impoverished neighborhoods and a tired commercial highway around the edge of town to complete the picture. But the good part as well as the local culture are divine.

Kind of the same thing with Natchez, which is arguably more beautiful than Oxford both in terms of urban fabric and the natural beauty of the surrounding hills and forests. If they had an economy down there (can someone build a large university there, please?), Natchez would be Oxford on steroids.

I think you mentioned Ocean Springs, Pass Christian and Bay St. Louis on the Coast. All three are postcard beautiful. I don't know of anywhere else on earth that offers their unique combination of five things; (wide-open ocean/gulf; sugar white beaches; giant live oaks, lush green lawns; and historic southern architecture) all wrapped up into one serene package. As far as I know, that setting does not exist anywhere else on earth.
I am fine with 'urban' living. Did it for many years in Detroit and Atlanta.

Greenwood, and Natchez, ok I'll have to look into those.

idk you've almost sold me on the gulf coast, sounds amazing.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:11 PM

950 posts, read 956,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCAA5000 View Post
I am fine with 'urban' living. Did it for many years in Detroit and Atlanta.

Greenwood, and Natchez, ok I'll have to look into those.

idk you've almost sold me on the gulf coast, sounds amazing.
If I were a young buck and had no ties to the 'Sip, about the only place I'd live is the coast. Good things about the coast, there's growth, a happening vibe (adult entertainment options) and NOLA and the beach are day trips (the beach and coast are different).

I would not advise anyone to move here for opportunity unless there is a great offer or some other connection.

Last edited by viverlibre; 11-24-2019 at 04:32 PM..

Old 11-25-2019, 03:26 AM

132 posts, read 65,716 times
Another town that really is postcard beautiful, particularly the historic district and residential area, is Laurel. I believe Laurel has the state's largest and most intact collection of early 20th century architecture, right around the Lauren Rogers art museum.

There is something about Laurel that always reminds me of Dallas' wealthy Highland Park enclave. I think it's the wide streets with curbs and sidewalks, giant live oaks arching over the street, lush lawns and polished landscaping, and elegant homes. Laurel also has a pleasant rolling terrain with spacious yards and huge trees in the newer residential areas.

I think it was money from northern timber companies locating their headquarters there that really made Laurel. Along with the state's first art museum they built an urban park designed by the man who built Central Park in NYC. The downtown is cute in a sort of unpretentious way and recently has been brought back alive since the new HGTV show located there.

Among slightly smaller towns, some of my favorites are Brookhaven, Corinth, Columbia, and New Albany. I believe that both Brookhaven and Corinth were important railroad junctions for cotton and timber, and the result is so many elegant homes and tree-lined streets. And both have cute, small downtowns. I'm always amazed at the wealth, or at least appearance of it in small towns such as these as reflected by the elegant homes and lawns.

Columbia is a bit smaller but as you drive around is really quite cute. It's small but I think what grabs me is the location, way south by the Pearl River almost into Louisiana. It's like you know you're in the true South when you're next to a wide river and that close to the Louisiana border. Columbia to me has a more cottagey feel but also I'm always surprised how pretty the newer neighborhoods are in towns like this that are like 6,000 people. They have a huge courthouse that looks down a pretty cool little downtown Main Street that's going to get nicer over time. Being just 25 minutes from Hattiesburg, this town has a future.

And New Albany, maybe because of Toyota, seems to have evolved into one of the nicer small towns in the state. I've stopped there a few times over the years, just because the Main Street is right off the interstate and is a lovely place to take a quick walking break, just up and down the main downtown drag. This town doesn't have as many of the elegant homes (there are a few) but it feels so amazingly clean and charming. Due to its cleanliness and proximity to Tupelo and Oxford, you can tell that they know life is good in their community and on the way up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi