Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 07:35 PM

5 posts, read 14,079 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for a nice down-home place to live in Mississippi close to a University. I currently live in Texas, close to the DFW metroplex, and I'm sick of all the industry that's moving in, it's swallowing up a lot of beatiful country and turning into the city. I'm a 26 year-old college student with a husband and pets, so I can't live on campus and I need some place to live that's not going to look down on me because I choose to live in a trailer, and some place that's affordable. I've been looking a colleges all over the state, but I don't have the resorces to vist all these places before I move there. I have been drawn to the idea of Oxford becauseI have heard, like me, they hate chain stores. I much rather give my money to the people of my community, then some hartless cooperation. I would like to lay my roots down in some place that's not going to make changes to make a buck. I'm just worried Oxford might be a little stuck up for me. Snobs are the only kind of people I have a hard time getting along with. And it's not for my lack of trying, I've cleaned enough of their homes, I just think they think I'm weird because I rather spend my days working in a field or cleaning a house then stuck behind a desk in some middle management hell. Anyways, I had also heard good things about Oxford's natural science departments, and that's a plus for me. But I have also heard about these new Toyota plants they are building, and I'm not going to be suckered into paying more for land just because some company moved in. So now I'm thinking maybe another school would be better for me the Olemiss. Anybody have any ideas or tips for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times
Land in Oxford is on the expensive side without the involvement of Toyota. Actually, Toyota is locating East of Oxford in Blue Springs which is between New Albany and Tupelo.

For years, Oxford has had a tremendous growth session and land is high. One place you might want to check out is neighboring areas, Batesville is located nearby but is also starting to grow. There are plenty of rural area communities that are nearby yet not so expensive. Oxford is about 45 min to an hour from Tupelo, Yet Pontotoc is a bit closer.

I wish you luck in obtaining what you are looking for though.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:26 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,498 times
Oxford is very expensive when you get close to the Square, however it is still very cheap when get out to the country (and still only be 5-10 minutes the square). You would probably like to live close to Taylor, which is a tiny arts community about 15 minutes south of Oxford. There are little artists shops, a theater that puts on a Prairie Home Companion-like production on Saturdays (except more Southern and you can bring coolers of beer/wine/liquor), and an awesome catfish place with great live music. I lived 5 minutes south of Oxford, 10 minutes north of Taylor in a 2 bedroom 10 year-old house surrounded by woods and paid only $650/mo (probably $700 now). I absolutely loved it there. Oxford has its share of snobs, but the vast majority of people are friendly and easy going, even the snobs (they just make sure to flash their rolexes).

Old 04-15-2008, 05:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
South of Oxford is Yocona (pronounced Yocknee by old-timers). The road is beautiful, 2-lane winding past fields and woods.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:27 PM

14 posts, read 89,161 times
I would suggest living in one of the small towns around Mississippi State University. The town of Starkville, which houses the Univeristy, is rapidly growing for that part of the State, but the rustic simple life can still be enjoyed around the city. These small towns (Scuba, Winston, Artesia, West Point) are more than open to trailers and field hands. Nothing wrong with living that way! MSU is very big on Agriculture and Engineering, don't know if those are interest of yours, but both are plentiful on and around campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi