U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 11:29 PM

8 posts, read 4,323 times

Advertisements

I am also in love with this show. .. . .actually I think it's what this little town represents. . . what life was like growing up when I was a kid in the 70's. .. .neighbors who care, slower pace of life, bringing life back to tired houses that were built with quality workmanship. .. . would love to visit Laurel . . .I'd consider retiring there, my dear husband retires in 3 more years. . .maybe we could get on the show! how fun that would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 05:44 PM

171 posts, read 285,145 times
We love this show, also, and we're amazed at the price of houses and what Ben and Erin do with such small budgets. My husband said...I wonder what the crime rate is for Laurel. I Googled it and it's really high...unfortunately. It said 1 in 19 will be a victim of a crime. There's few jobs and what there is doesn't pay much. Too bad. This is filmed with the best backgrounds possible. I wondered if it would become another Waco that was ruined by Chip and Joanna.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:20 PM

2,123 posts, read 3,399,355 times
Laurel is worse than Waco, because Waco at least has a major University that would force an educated population to live nearby. There is nothing in Laurel that would attract anyone from outside the area.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:53 AM

1,279 posts, read 862,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Laurel is worse than Waco, because Waco at least has a major University that would force an educated population to live nearby. There is nothing in Laurel that would attract anyone from outside the area.
I guess USM being 20 minutes away does not count? There's a ton going on in Laurel.

Please stop posting about anything outside the Jackson city limits.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:47 PM

919 posts, read 921,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I guess USM being 20 minutes away does not count? There's a ton going on in Laurel.

Please stop posting about anything outside the Jackson city limits.
Holy moly, have you been to Laurel? I have probably 20 times over the last 10 years. Laurel is ok for MS, heck even nice for MS, but there's not a lot going on (although it is improving). I've never seen the show, but it is likely framed to make Laurel seem much nicer than it is.

I drove through Waco recently, and even with that little experience, I can assure you there is a ton more going on in Waco than Laurel. There's very little spillover from USM into Laurel.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Holy moly, have you been to Laurel? I have probably 20 times over the last 10 years. Laurel is ok for MS, heck even nice for MS, but there's not a lot going on (although it is improving). I've never seen the show, but it is likely framed to make Laurel seem much nicer than it is.

I drove through Waco recently, and even with that little experience, I can assure you there is a ton more going on in Waco than Laurel. There's very little spillover from USM into Laurel.
Weekly for the last 1.5 years. You really can't be more wrong. I guess you don't realize that the state's most prosperous company employs thousands there.

Nobody is claiming that it is Waco.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:37 PM

2,123 posts, read 3,399,355 times
Median household income is about $30,000 - slightly lower than Jackson. So a few wealthy people and a sea of poor folks. No interesting restaurants, no nightlife or activities whatsoever. I guess if you're retired, your only outlet is church, and you're just hanging out waiting to die, it could be a good place to get cheap real estate.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Weekly for the last 1.5 years. You really can't be more wrong. I guess you don't realize that the state's most prosperous company employs thousands there.

Nobody is claiming that it is Waco.
Congratulations for finding the booming area of town, that no one else, not even my relatives (who actually bailed to Ellisville) know about!

In Mississippi, the public school system tells you all you need to know about the community, check out Laurel school district.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Congratulations for finding the booming area of town, that no one else, not even my relatives (who actually bailed to Ellisville) know about!

In Mississippi, the public school system tells you all you need to know about the community, check out Laurel school district.
I can obviously tell you are 55 and above from your posts - scared of any urban area, scared of downtowns, still obsessed with public schools.

Those times have passed. The younger generation doesn't have the same mentality you do. Homeschooling is on the rise, as are private schools for couples who both work. You simply don't need the public school daycare system anymore, especially when it breeds mindless drones with no innovation.

And speaking of Ellisville, you realize that's in Jones County? So everyone who lives there is still a part of the greater Laurel (and Hattiesburg) community? Most of Sanderson's employees are scattered all throughout Jones County too (and even further away, as far as Sumrall, Collins, Taylorsville and Richton). That's just the way it is in Mississippi.

The downtowns are the next frontier. To the younger generations and the out-of-staters who come here, they are finding great value and the challenge they seek, from abandoned downtowns (Laurel, Natchez, Water Valley, Hattiesburg, and especially Jackson).

Public schools have long been abandoned in some of the higher growth areas in this country. Can you tell me one single public school in Nashville? Of course you can't, nobody goes there anymore. In towns less than 10K-15K people, sure I get it, the public schools matter because they are a part of your community, a major employer, and a source of pride. But once a certain level of growth is achieved they simply do not matter anymore. Or once a metro area gets a certain size, no one single school matters. And in Laurel's case, there are certainly good public schools around if you want them (West Jones, Northeast Jones). You act like Ellisville isn't the same place, LOL.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I can obviously tell you are 55 and above from your posts - scared of any urban area, scared of downtowns, still obsessed with public schools.

Those times have passed. The younger generation doesn't have the same mentality you do. Homeschooling is on the rise, as are private schools for couples who both work. You simply don't need the public school daycare system anymore, - this is may be the most out of touch point you have ever made, in poor states like MS, public schools are even more important - especially when it breeds mindless drones with no innovation.

And speaking of Ellisville, you realize that's in Jones County? So everyone who lives there is still a part of the greater Laurel (and Hattiesburg) community? Most of Sanderson's employees are scattered all throughout Jones County too (and even further away, as far as Sumrall, Collins, Taylorsville and Richton). That's just the way it is in Mississippi.

The downtowns are the next frontier. To the younger generations and the out-of-staters who come here, they are finding great value and the challenge they seek, from abandoned downtowns (Laurel, Natchez, Water Valley, Hattiesburg, and especially Jackson). You do realize how few people are migrating into MS?

Public schools have long been abandoned in some of the higher growth areas in this country. Can you tell me one single public school in Nashville? Of course you can't, nobody goes there anymore - there are tons of very good public schools in the Nashville burbs. In towns less than 10K-15K people, sure I get it, the public schools matter because they are a part of your community, a major employer, and a source of pride. -this is most of the 'Sip, there are only about 10 towns with populations over 25k and another ten with populations over 20k But once a certain level of growth is achieved they simply do not matter anymore. Or once a metro area gets a certain size, no one single school matters. And in Laurel's case, there are certainly good public schools around if you want them (West Jones, Northeast Jones). You act like Ellisville isn't the same place, LOL.
I realize you like to cherry-pick, but if you re-read my post you will realize I wrote "in Mississippi," comparing Nashville, to anywhere in MS shows how unrealistic you are.

Please list the prosperous areas in MS that don't have good public schools (Starkville, Byrum, Ridgeland?). In the 'Sip, for the foreseeable future, public schools will remain important as there are too few high paying jobs in most of the state to pay for private schools and maintain a nice, consumer driven lifestyle and save for retirement.

Below are the highest per capita counties in the state and top-ranked high schools. There are a lot of similarities in both lists, in MS, the best indicator of a prosperous community is good public schools.

I appreciate how optimistic you are, but not understanding issues and not accepting reality prevents one from seeing the real issues.

Madison
Brandon
Hernando
Olive Branch
Clinton
Southaven
Ridgeland
Flowood
Coastal Cities (lumped together)
Diamondhead
Pass Christian
Ocean Springs
Bay St Louis
Gulfport
Biloxi

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...093990001/Best high schools in Mississippi: Top 10 list

No. 1: Lewisburg High School
Desoto County School District, Olive Branch
No. 2: Desoto Central High School
Desoto County School District, Southhaven
No. 3: Pass Christian High School
Pass Christian Public School District, Pass Christian
No. 4: Oxford High School
Oxford School District, Oxford
No. 5: Hernando High School
Desoto County School District, Hernando
No. 6: Center Hill High School
Desoto County School District, Olive Branch
No. 7: Ocean Springs High School
Ocean Springs School District, Ocean Springs
No. 8: Petal High School
Petal School District, Petal
No. 9: Oak Grove High School
Lamar County School District, Hattiesburg
No. 10: Gulfport High School
Gulfport School District, Gulfport

Last edited by viverlibre; 03-28-2020 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi