Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2021, 12:47 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,238,589 times

Advertisements

Announced by Wicker (R, MS) as part of the infrastructure plan under consideration:
https://www.natchezdemocrat.com/2021...0EkJyjEC-Z9_0A

Congressional authorization to extend I-14 from TX-LA border, cross the MS River at Natchez, follow Hwy 84 to Laurel, dual-sign with I-59 to Meridian, then follow Hwy 80 through Montgomery, Columbus, and Macon, ending in Augusta. Possibly also upgrading Hwy 49 between Hattiesburg and the coast.

It'll take decades to finish, of course. They aren't even close to finishing the portion in Texas and that was authorized years ago.

Also, of course, there will be hordes of people and companies rushing to drink from this potential taxpayer-funded spigot. There will be countless efforts, some successful, to steal from it. But the fact that those efforts exist isn't a valid reason for canceling the project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 01:09 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,251,719 times
That is one of the few things I can think of that would put Natchez on the road to recovery. I believe it would make a huge difference.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:57 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,770,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That is one of the few things I can think of that would put Natchez on the road to recovery. I believe it would make a huge difference.
What does Natchez need to recover from?

Old 08-05-2021, 06:26 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,238,589 times
Natchez is one of the oldest and once one of the most important cities in the lower Mississippi Valley, at the crossroads of major travel ways (River, Natchez Trace, and several east-west trails). Situated on safe bluffs, it was much better (and older!) than the more famous swamp city farther south. It was once the capitol of Mississippi Territory and State, and was major trading center and concentration of wealth. By surrendering quickly, it was spared destruction during the Civil War and was an antebellum history buff destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
What does Natchez need to recover from?
Loss of river traffic to the railroads in the early 20th century, construction of the low-clearance Louie P Long Bridge in 1940 that prevented tall ocean vessels from traveling farther upstream than Baton Rouge (many say that Louisiana did this on purpose), and Vicksburg getting I-20 in the 1950's. I-20 was the final blow, and Natchez has been declining ever since.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:35 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,981,771 times
While Natchez has been growing in the wrong direction industrially for 50 years, the tourism industry there is growing. They are also making a lot of movies there. There are signs of life.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
While Natchez has been growing in the wrong direction industrially for 50 years, the tourism industry there is growing. They are also making a lot of movies there. There are signs of life.
Natchez is one of our favorites. We were surprised to see how well Natchez is doing with international tourists from Europe.
But the town itself could use an influx of permanent residents. A freeway may bring it if industry finds its location appealing. Dying towns have a strange appeal to them, though, because they become locked in time. Neighborhoods like are found in Natchez will never be built again. We stay at a B&B in one of those neighborhoods, but the owners are selling out and going back to New Orleans..

Old 08-08-2021, 06:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,889,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Natchez is one of our favorites. We were surprised to see how well Natchez is doing with international tourists from Europe.
But the town itself could use an influx of permanent residents. A freeway may bring it if industry finds its location appealing. Dying towns have a strange appeal to them, though, because they become locked in time. Neighborhoods like are found in Natchez will never be built again. We stay at a B&B in one of those neighborhoods, but the owners are selling out and going back to New Orleans..
The place in Natchez I really want to visit is Kings Tavern, hopefully someone reopens it.

My oldest and I were in Natchez on a Sunday afternoon back in the spring, there was a nice crowd gathered under the hill.

The biggest problem with Natchez is that it is so far from anywhere. Nearly two hours from Jackson or Baton Rouge. Although Natchez is a nice town with attractions, I don't think the draw justifies the four hour round trip, especially compared with the Coast or NOLA (either just a little more driving time).

Old 08-08-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
The place in Natchez I really want to visit is Kings Tavern, hopefully someone reopens it.

My oldest and I were in Natchez on a Sunday afternoon back in the spring, there was a nice crowd gathered under the hill.

The biggest problem with Natchez is that it is so far from anywhere. Nearly two hours from Jackson or Baton Rouge. Although Natchez is a nice town with attractions, I don't think the draw justifies the four hour round trip, especially compared with the Coast or NOLA (either just a little more driving time).
I am sorry to hear it closed!

They found a skeleton in the fireplace brickwork according to the chef a few years ago. He caught on to the fact that I was interested in the history of the place and showed me around.
The story of King's Tavern was covered in The Devil's Backbone, which is the history of The Natchez Trace.

You could eat and drink yourself silly at Under The Hill. There are several fun places on that little strip and people will just grab ya and start talking.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:32 AM

577 posts, read 560,028 times
I-14 appears to provide a straight shot from Natchez to College Station, Texas and to Houston, Austin, and Dallas.

The best part of the project for Mississippi though appears to be the interstate from Hattiesburg to Gulfport. That would leave just the part of Hwy 49 from Jackson to Hattiesburg left as a regular state highway.

If they could convert that part of Hwy 49 into an interstate, especially from Jackson to Florence and on down to around Mendenhall, that seems like an area ripe for growth because of Rankin County schools as well as the pretty landscape as you get past Star, Mississippi and around Mendenhall and Pinola.

It's especially evident on google maps' terrain section and also evident driving down Hwy 13. Very pretty area, and I love that feeling of being "on the way to Florida and the Coast" once you get past Florence and into rolling Simpson County. Something about the woodlands down that way feels particularly lush that suggests the coastline is coming closer. Maybe it's in my imagination but I always feel that direction has the ideal combination of trees to make a beautiful forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi