U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 09:28 PM

423 posts, read 329,111 times

Advertisements

I have driven through the towns of North Mississippi this week and am rather amazed how this area is coming along.

One remarkable sighting was at night passing the new Amazon and Volvo facilities along Hwy 72 just outside Olive Branch. I heard my mind asking, "are we still in Mississippi?". Yes, indeed I was. And Google's facility is under construction in Southaven. (If it has opened yet, I'm not aware).

But mainly what I noticed was the clean, civilized and prosperous feel of the towns. Hernando's square is charming, which I already knew, but I've begun noticing little galleries and cafe's starting to pop up off the square. (It's almost as if they think they are Oxford...). Southaven and Olive Branch both are building upscale new town center style shopping developments, and high-end homes are popping up apace around the county. Wow.

Oxford speaks for itself, but each time I go I am still amazed by the natural beauty of the area and the historic elegance of the town. Hard to beat, anywhere.

Starkville is another one that gets better each time I visit. The Cotton District is filling in, bit by bit, and will soon connect directly with downtown, creating a single, walkable cultural district going from downtown all the way to Mississippi State's campus. And the campus is lovelier with each visit. Starkville isn't that far off from achieving critical mass and developing into a collegiate town that people from around the country will want to live in. I would say within 15 years they will have arrived.

Tupelo is another one that speaks for itself, ever the earnest striver in Mississippi that keeps outdoing itself. Downtown Tupelo continues to add brand-new buildings and feels clean and charming. Since Tupelo was virtually wiped out by a tornado in the 1930s, they are building their downtown from scratch. The entire city feels clean, safe, and prosperous - and with such a bright future.

Corinth is one that stays quiet but seems to be a sleeping giant. For a town of 14,000 people I am always taken aback by just how big it seems in terms of beautiful neighborhoods. They have a huge and very elegant historic district, but driving through town it shifts to the neighborhoods of the 50s and 60s era with huge, wooded lots, then to the 80s and 90s built around the country club, and then to the 2000s built around lakes. Downtown Corinth with its Mayberry vibe seems vibrant and confident these days. With its location just 15 minutes from Pickwick and easy drive to places like Nashville and Chattanooga, Corinth seems to have it all - and they know it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 08:17 PM

46 posts, read 43,721 times
Wow. Making me think I might actually want to visit Mississippi more. You've made these places sound really attractive. I've only been to Biloxi and Ocean Springs. Spouse did some consulting work in Laurel. Mississippi is still affordable and I believe the Magnolia state rates high on Forbes list of tax friendly states for retirees. Yet....that humidity

Old 01-27-2022, 08:47 AM

3,369 posts, read 4,778,258 times
Senatobia, Pontotoc, Iuka, and Houston all deserve mentions here.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:36 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,600,603 times
North MS really is an underrated place. Clean, lots of potential for jobs, and some solid schools around. Interstate 22 is starting to pay off (contrary to what many people think, it takes 10-20 years for the benefits of an interstate to truly begin opening up). Desoto area is your typical suburban sprawl, but at least it's solid growth for people who want that. Oxford is a college town, will always be money there, and has access to Memphis. Same with Starkville, and the GTR area has plenty of jobs. X factor is always Tupelo, since it's the major metropolitan area that is sort of an independent 'anchor', and located right on I-22. If they could diversify their economy, sky is the limit.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:59 AM

1,602 posts, read 762,676 times
Not in N. Mississippi, but....

We just spent weekend in Natchez. Beautiful city. Yet, some of the people who live there makes it one of the ugliest we've been to.

And yes, wife and I treat others the same as we expect to be treated. We engage friendly, but once you have an attitude, well expect it in return. In which some found out real quick.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:26 AM

2,424 posts, read 4,056,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Not in N. Mississippi, but....

We just spent weekend in Natchez. Beautiful city. Yet, some of the people who live there makes it one of the ugliest we've been to.

And yes, wife and I treat others the same as we expect to be treated. We engage friendly, but once you have an attitude, well expect it in return. In which some found out real quick.
What happened?

Old 02-21-2022, 12:15 PM

1,602 posts, read 762,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
What happened?
Attitudes. When we travel, we always have a smile. Always try to make a good statement because we don't want to give a bad representation from our state. Which is Louisiana. We are very respectable wherever we may roam because we're experiencing a new place, fresh faces...

I don't know if it was just a weekend thing or if they were rude in general.

However, we did meet a few people from town while out. Those people made a difference. One lady wanted to check out our vehicle because they never seen anything like it. I didn't know that I was a car salesman in my previous life! She said that she was looking for a vehicle with good gas mileage and will be on the search for one! Lol... there was a few more citizens that was asking me about it too.

Those people who were nice made a difference. But I'm not going to let a few bad apples spoil the bunch. Just those rude ones made it ugly. I shouldn't have called Natchez ugly. I'm sorry about that.

But we will return for a visit. I'm hoping next time we go, it will be a better experience.

Old 02-21-2022, 03:43 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,502,031 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLDptBdvHvQ

Old 02-24-2022, 05:08 PM

2,470 posts, read 1,681,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
North MS really is an underrated place. Clean, lots of potential for jobs, and some solid schools around. Interstate 22 is starting to pay off (contrary to what many people think, it takes 10-20 years for the benefits of an interstate to truly begin opening up). Desoto area is your typical suburban sprawl, but at least it's solid growth for people who want that. Oxford is a college town, will always be money there, and has access to Memphis. Same with Starkville, and the GTR area has plenty of jobs. X factor is always Tupelo, since it's the major metropolitan area that is sort of an independent 'anchor', and located right on I-22. If they could diversify their economy, sky is the limit.
Tupelo's still a micropolitan area for now. Later, we'll see the designation change.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:32 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,600,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Tupelo's still a micropolitan area for now. Later, we'll see the designation change.
I know, I was basically just pointing out that it was the biggest city in the area, and most organic growth will likely be in and around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi