U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-13-2008, 02:51 AM
 
34 posts, read 96,497 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

I currently live in Punta Gorda, Florida... ground zero for 2004 Hurricane Charley. It does take a while for rebuilding and regrouping, but we've come a long way and you can barely tell a major hurricane ever hit us except for some still vacant lots where businesses or homes used to be.


The job situation in my area is horrendous and I've been unemployed since January and desperate for work. I have a Bachelors in English with years of experience and certification in Activities (working mostly with seniors in Assisted Living or nursing homes). I also worked in promotions in a casino in Vegas as I lived there for about a year before moving to FL. I heard there are new casinos going up and wondered how the job situation is there? Down here, a new Target opened in near-by Ft. Myers and 500 people stood in line for hours to apply... only 100 were hired. It's frightening!

Also... our building codes are in line with the strict Miami/Dade codes regarding winds and hurricane resistance. What are the building codes now for Biloxi? It appears you don't have many concrete block homes (almost all of our newer construction is cb), so I wondered if builders are now required to use hurricane straps to attach roof to walls, etc.?

Right now, I own a house that was fortunately built in 2004 and sustained no damage from Charley due to being built to the stringent codes, so I want to ensure safety before giving up my house here. Great house for a retiree... not a good area for someone of working age. Would appreciate any hints, suggestions, warnings, recommendations and general "you go girl!" comments! Thanks, y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2008, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
37 posts, read 43,013 times
Reputation: 19
I just left Biloxi after 1 1/2 years of trying to find suitable employment. I have been in love with Biloxi my whole life, but I must say...was very disappointed living there. Your favorite place to visit does not always make your favorite place to live! Cost of living in comparison to salaries is so out of whack its frightening. Rents are outrageous...I paid $875 for a 1 bedroom, and the all brick home I had build cost 178K. Insurance was 3500 a year, and it was 10 miles from the beach. It is also VERY DIRTY WITH LITTER EVERYWHERE...THE PEOPLE ARE ABSOLUTE PIGS! I am a realtor, and am very familiar with the coasts housing stock. Very few are build like Florida's CBS, and if you do want it..it will cost you dearly...just like a pool and lanai costs at least double of what you pay in FLA. I do believe all have hurricane clips for the roofing however. So much of MS coast has been destroyed that there is still a very limited amount of goods and services, and service, on the whole...is poor at best. I really thought I could make a difference there and help in the rebuilding, but I feel MS is still a somewhat closed society. I would reccomend you stay in FLA where theres a greater influx of people from the north. All of this, keep in mind, is my opinion...and IM VERY PICKY AND FUSSY! Good luck if you do go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 03:06 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,999,496 times
Reputation: 1105
Humm.. I lived in Gulfport and found a 3 bedroom house for the same price. Ok the area was not the best.. but then again I had no major problems. I found 8 or 9 jobs in just a week.. all paying above 10 bucks an hour... and with plenty of overtime. I don't know why you had such a problem. I started at a Casino there and then transferred to a Security Company making over 12 bucks an hour. Ok it was not major pay compared to what you make as a Realtor.. I guess. But it was more than enough to get by with 3 kids. My Wife found work there as well just as fast. She was working at a casino and at the Great Southern Club, where she was paid really well. There maybe a limit on restaurants like Olive Gardens and what not.. since most of them were on the coast, and where washed away.. but there were still plenty of services and resources. As for the pigs comment.. some maybe.. but if you seen what it was like come Katrina and how far it has been cleaned up now.. I don't think you can call the people there pigs. They have lots of pride and strength... many lost everything and look at how they still hold their heads high and never give up. The coast there is going to change and not be the same.. change is hard... but they are trucking along and making great strides there. Soon, The Mississippi Coast will rival Vegas... and I for one am proud of the people and area. Rents are high because more than half the house base was washed away, or damaged beyond repair. So what you have left is in high demand.. but they are building at break neck speeds and as they get many new options there, prices will come down. Insurance above I10 is much lower.. everyone below I10 pays out the nose for insurance now.. times have changed.. major disasters do that. Oh and the building codes there are a lot higher than they were.. you must be above 30 feet now, so either build on stilts or raise the land... is one example of the changes there. Forget living below the rail road tracks though, unless your rich and can afford the insurance, or have a place there that survived. Most of the coast will be Condos or casinos. I did not find it closed at all.. people were very open and honest with me. I made many friends there. I don't know why you had such a bad time.. I wish I did.. because your experience and mine are so different. My only complaint was the school systems there.. other than that it was a great place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiloxi View Post
I just left Biloxi after 1 1/2 years of trying to find suitable employment. I have been in love with Biloxi my whole life, but I must say...was very disappointed living there. Your favorite place to visit does not always make your favorite place to live! Cost of living in comparison to salaries is so out of whack its frightening. Rents are outrageous...I paid $875 for a 1 bedroom, and the all brick home I had build cost 178K. Insurance was 3500 a year, and it was 10 miles from the beach. It is also VERY DIRTY WITH LITTER EVERYWHERE...THE PEOPLE ARE ABSOLUTE PIGS! I am a realtor, and am very familiar with the coasts housing stock. Very few are build like Florida's CBS, and if you do want it..it will cost you dearly...just like a pool and lanai costs at least double of what you pay in FLA. I do believe all have hurricane clips for the roofing however. So much of MS coast has been destroyed that there is still a very limited amount of goods and services, and service, on the whole...is poor at best. I really thought I could make a difference there and help in the rebuilding, but I feel MS is still a somewhat closed society. I would reccomend you stay in FLA where theres a greater influx of people from the north. All of this, keep in mind, is my opinion...and IM VERY PICKY AND FUSSY! Good luck if you do go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 09:13 AM
DB3
 
55 posts, read 279,355 times
Reputation: 41
Tishpit,
Mrbiloxi's post is extreme. I don't think realtors anywhere in this country are having great success right now so his views on the job market could be a bit biased. The casinos are always hiring and I would say that pay for service jobs on the MS gulf coast is at least equal to if not more than what you'll find in Florida today. Unemployment on the coast is lower than it was prior to Katrina. Northrup Grumman (sp?) just held a job fair in Pascagoula because they're having a hard time finding enough workers.

Apartment rent did skyrocket post-Katrina (supply vs demand) but now there are plenty of fantastic one bedroom apartments for less than $800. A friend of mine is in an incredible gated apartment complex in D'Iberville in a one bedroom with about 1,000 sq ft with washer/dryer hookup and she pays less than $800. Prior to that she lived in an apartment in Ocean Springs and paid about $850 for a two bedroom.

The Coast is still being rebuilt and there's more to be done the further west you go. Each town is struggling with different issues and they're addressing the biggest priorities first and working their way down the list. It's actually amazing how much has been accomplished considering all that needed to be done and also considering how politics tends to cause everything to come to a screeching halt (i.e., New Orleans recovery).

You are right about there not being a lot of CBS construction. Most of the homes where I live are wood framed, brick faced on slab. Unlike Florida, prior to Katrina there wasn't a lot of code enforcement in Mississippi!

And insurance costs will be an issue, even if you buy a home north of I-10. You need to budget somewhere in the area of $5k a year for wind/hail and fire/theft coverage. There are so many less homes here compared to Florida that rates increase because there are less residences to divide the cost of coverage between (and because our ex-insurance commissioner wasn't exactly the best at sticking up for his constituents but that's another story). On the other hand, property tax rates are much less here than Florida. So there's good and bad.

There are a lot of small towns all along the coast and each has it's own particular niche. I don't believe anyone with your background and education would have a problem finding a $10-$15/hour job here to get your foot in the door. I don't know if that is enough to live off of, but faced with no jobs at all, it's not a bad alternative.

You'd definitely have to come spend some time here. Where you live is so much more beautiful (I think). But come down and talk to the HR departments at some of the casinos and see what's available for you. The local paper is Sunherald.com and the local news is WLOX.com. They should also give you more of an idea of what's going on.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI
37 posts, read 43,013 times
Reputation: 19
Just a follow up. Moderator cut: edit Regarding litter...yes, most of all of Katrina is picked up. Im talking about all of the "other litter"...which is everywhere, and the Sun Herald reports on it constantly. Fast food debris does not remain on the ground for nearly three years after the storm, so save your Katrina propaganda and crutch...as a matter of fact...get over it!
Regarding the apartments in D'Iberville, I lived there, Arbor View, Apt. 517, a 1 bedroom and my rent was $875 a month.
Finally, no one has ever promoted MS Gulf Coast like I have for over 25 years, MS was my life...my car tags read MRBLOXI, my nickname is MR Biloxi, and I have been written up in the Sun Herald several times, so believe me when I say no one is more disappointed about my experience living there than me. Imagine putting all of your time, effort and heart into an area that is closest to your heart, just to find out all along you were wrong about the place.
No...my comments are not at all extreme, they are very accurate and are supported by most of the locals that know the truth and are willing to speak it, not propagandize the area into being something its not. Moderator cut: edit Check out any Walmart parking lot and that speaks volumes. FlithyModerator cut: edit Furthermore...Beach Blvd has about 1 mile of sand beach in which to build on the beach side...what kind of idiots...after having a clean slate of which to work from, rebuilds a gas station and waffle house on a beach...THATS NOT USING THE LAND FOR ITS HIGHEST AND BEST USE!! WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY THE BACK OF A WAFFLE HOUSE AND GAS STATION MUST HAVE A BEACH VIEW....PLEASE TELL ME THE LOGIC????!!!! Furthermore, I am not an acting "realtor" I hold a license in the state of WI, I do not practice in WI or MS. I am, however, a real estate junkie...I like homes almost as much as I use to like Biloxi.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-15-2008 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2008, 12:37 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,999,496 times
Reputation: 1105
I will agree about the parking lot remark.. people don't seem to put the carts back.. and they are dirty.. with that many Sea Gulls swarming them, they are going to be. The Waffle Houses on the Beach are a welcomed site! Heck it beats nothing at all, and half dead tress and empty foundations. As for Gas Stations, there will never be another Gas Station on the beach.. a law was passed saying there could not be. So what gas Station are you talking about on the beach? There is also a nice new Beach store that sells towels and swim suites and all that stuff.. its really nice.. what about the nice Italian place in Gulfport on the Beach?

You say your right, and I say your wrong. There maybe some truth to what you think.. but its not as bad as you pass it off to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiloxi View Post
Just a follow up. Moderator cut: edit Regarding litter...yes, most of all of Katrina is picked up. Im talking about all of the "other litter"...which is everywhere, and the Sun Herald reports on it constantly. Fast food debris does not remain on the ground for nearly three years after the storm, so save your Katrina propaganda and crutch...as a matter of fact...get over it!
Regarding the apartments in D'Iberville, I lived there, Arbor View, Apt. 517, a 1 bedroom and my rent was $875 a month.
Finally, no one has ever promoted MS Gulf Coast like I have for over 25 years, MS was my life...my car tags read MRBLOXI, my nickname is MR Biloxi, and I have been written up in the Sun Herald several times, so believe me when I say no one is more disappointed about my experience living there than me. Imagine putting all of your time, effort and heart into an area that is closest to your heart, just to find out all along you were wrong about the place.
No...my comments are not at all extreme, they are very accurate and are supported by most of the locals that know the truth and are willing to speak it, not propagandize the area into being something its not. Moderator cut: edit Check out any Walmart parking lot and that speaks volumes. Flithy,Moderator cut: edit Furthermore...Beach Blvd has about 1 mile of sand beach in which to build on the beach side...what kind of idiots...after having a clean slate of which to work from, rebuilds a gas station and waffle house on a beach...THATS NOT USING THE LAND FOR ITS HIGHEST AND BEST USE!! WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY THE BACK OF A WAFFLE HOUSE AND GAS STATION MUST HAVE A BEACH VIEW....PLEASE TELL ME THE LOGIC????!!!! Furthermore, I am not an acting "realtor" I hold a license in the state of WI, I do not practice in WI or MS. I am, however, a real estate junkie...I like homes almost as much as I use to like Biloxi.
You say your LIC Plate has your name on it.. so does mine.. Click it for a larger view.


Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-15-2008 at 04:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2008, 04:00 AM
DB3
 
55 posts, read 279,355 times
Reputation: 41
MrBiloxi, I also say you're wrong. There's so much anger in both of your posts it's pretty obvious there's something else behind it and certainly not information that's helpful to the thread starter, unless she too has psychological issues dealing with Waffle Houses near the beach and shopping carts on the loose at Wal-Mart which is not something I picked up from her post asking about the job situation and housing construction on the coast!

$400-600 a week to start is decent money when you're currently making ZERO. And I'd also say that it is at least comparable to and most likely more than the current pay for service jobs in Florida. And your rent information is outdated and not representative of current apartment rents.

Are there a lot of things wrong with MS? Tens of thousands. Just like there's tens of thousands of other things wrong in Florida and every other state in this country.

Prior to Katrina Biloxi was not a "pig stye." There wasn't this volume of trash that you speak of, which pretty much points to not your "lazy, worthless, illiterate" locals that are littering but those who have come since.

I'm not sure how you go from being "MrBiloxi" to calling the entire population lazy, worthless illiterates but it's probably time for a tag change at your next renewal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2008, 01:32 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,999,496 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB3 View Post
MrBiloxi, I also say you're wrong. There's so much anger in both of your posts it's pretty obvious there's something else behind it and certainly not information that's helpful to the thread starter, unless she too has psychological issues dealing with Waffle Houses near the beach and shopping carts on the loose at Wal-Mart which is not something I picked up from her post asking about the job situation and housing construction on the coast!

$400-600 a week to start is decent money when you're currently making ZERO. And I'd also say that it is at least comparable to and most likely more than the current pay for service jobs in Florida. And your rent information is outdated and not representative of current apartment rents.

Are there a lot of things wrong with MS? Tens of thousands. Just like there's tens of thousands of other things wrong in Florida and every other state in this country.

Prior to Katrina Biloxi was not a "pig stye." There wasn't this volume of trash that you speak of, which pretty much points to not your "lazy, worthless, illiterate" locals that are littering but those who have come since.

I'm not sure how you go from being "MrBiloxi" to calling the entire population lazy, worthless illiterates but it's probably time for a tag change at your next renewal.
Well said DB3, I tried to rep you for your comment.. but I have to spread some around first.. but as soon as I can, your getting 3 from me. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 08:28 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,873 times
Reputation: 11
Dear Mr Biloxi. I grew up in Middle Tennessee, never lived any other place. My husband is in the ANG and we were stationed at Kessler for 8 months. We are back home now in Middle Tennessee. Keep in mind I have never lived anywhere else, except for our recent time in Biloxi (DIberville) Ms. I want you to know, I feel as if South Mississippi is my other home town. Yes Tennessee is a southern state, and Nashville was voted as the most friendliest City. I could not believe just how friendly we were treated by the people of the Biloxi area. The people at the drive through s to the corner gas station, and our apartment friends. I loved it. The beauty of the beech, and the coast with all it southern charm, and the courage and strength the local folk had to move past and beyond what was experienced during Katrina. I could see these folks didn't depend on some one to save them, they hung on to each other and worked together to rebuild. Rebuild they did, I had the pleasure of visiting the Biloxi welcome center. The Jefferson Davis home. and the City Cemetery. I lived in the Arbor View Apartments, yea I think rent iwas high; Well just so that real estate fellow knows, they are building the same sort of luxury style living apartments here in Clarksville, with the same Promises and perks. So nothing is perfect anywhere. I never saw any more litter down there then I do here. Litter is not a southern problem its a people problem. MR Biloxi, I truly fell in love with Your home town and consider it hopefully to be my other home to live in again. Thankyou so much! CMV Clarksville Tennessee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top