U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 11:22 PM

3 posts, read 9,491 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early thirties and looking for a change of pace from northern Virginia. I grew up in southern Virginia and have spent a good amount of time throughout the south. At the moment I work as a consultant (independent) with a six figure income.

I have read a few posts on here about Oxford, but I have a few questions that remain to be answered. First, where is the nearest commercial airport? Second, will a $150k to $200k income allow for a home in the area? I've read several threads that allude to the high cost of real estate. Third, how is the dating and social scene for an early thirties male? Fourth, is there ample duck hunting and fishing within an hour drive? Fifth, is the area conservative? I am conservative by nature and fit best in areas that tend to be conservative.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 09:51 AM

79 posts, read 271,122 times
I am in my thirties, and a virginia native who lived in Oxford for 3 years and LOVED it.
First - there is a small airport in Oxford. The nearest commercial airport is one hour north in Memphis. There is also an airport in Jackson - 2 hours south.
Second - you should be just fine on that income. In fact, you will be making more than most. The cost of housing is high in relation to the rest of Mississippi - not U.S., and if you decide to live about 5 - 10 minutes outside of town you can get a killer deal.
Third - dating.... yes there are single people in Oxford. I dated while I lived there but didn't find anyone to get serious about - see answer 5.
Fourth - I have no idea about duck hunting, but Mississippi is a very hunting-friendly part of the country. We had deer all the time which my friends would kill and prepare.
Fifth - the area in not conservative in my opinion. The laws tend to be conservative, but the people are not. Oxford has a thriving music and art scene, and the people tend to be creative types. Now, this is only MY experience. I gravitate toward people who are non traditional, so take it for what it's worth. I am sure that there are conservative types there too, but I tended to avoid them
Hope this helps.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:39 PM

376 posts, read 1,617,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizTrvler85 View Post
I'm in my early thirties and looking for a change of pace from northern Virginia. I grew up in southern Virginia and have spent a good amount of time throughout the south. At the moment I work as a consultant (independent) with a six figure income.

I have read a few posts on here about Oxford, but I have a few questions that remain to be answered. First, where is the nearest commercial airport? Second, will a $150k to $200k income allow for a home in the area? I've read several threads that allude to the high cost of real estate. Third, how is the dating and social scene for an early thirties male? Fourth, is there ample duck hunting and fishing within an hour drive? Fifth, is the area conservative? I am conservative by nature and fit best in areas that tend to be conservative.

Thank you
The nearest airport is in Memphis, a little over an hour away. It is a major hub for NWA with direct flights to just about anywhere. Real estate is high for Mississippi but still cheap compared the northeast. You will be wealthier than most with that income, especially in your 30s. For a small town the social scene is excellent, but nothing like a big city. Most people are in their early 20s, but many just don't seem to be able to leave. It's the South, so people tend to get married young. There down time. Since you like to hunt, this shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes you'll have to keep yourself occupied. Mississippi is obviously a very big hunting state with world-famous duck hunting in the Delta only an hour away. There's plenty of federal land where you can deer and duck hunt only 15 minutes from town (a national forest and a large lake run by the Corps of Engineers). Oxford is largely conservative. Probably 70% of the people there call themselves conservative, but the young people tend not to be very socially conservative, except when it comes to old Southern ways like not officially living together before you get married. A girl and guy can spend every night together, but they still have to have seperate homes until they are married. Oxford is a very preppy town.

I live in Charleston, SC now and love it here. It's like a big version of Oxford on the water, though it is less Southern. If you don't think you can do small town life, check out Charleston. There's a huge social scene here for people in their 20s and 30s. Often I miss the fantasyland-like atmosphere of Oxford. The town operates like it is the center of its own little universe, which makes it a pretty special place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi