U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:06 PM

91 posts, read 271,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfrass View Post
My husband and I have lived here for nearly a year and still can't get used to how backwards the area is. We live outside of Jackson. I have taught in the school system (told the best in the state) and have been saddened with education here. We find that there is nothing to do around here. Our African American friends tell us to stay our of Jackson area. It is seriously depressing living hcere. We go somewhere nearly every weekend because when we stay in town we are bored out of our minds. Anyone have any suggestions? We moved here from a city and miss that city-life... I don't know how Madison or Ridgeland got the votes of being top-anything honestly. I am a well traveled person and there is NO appeal to either of them. I will say they have beautiful homes, but that's it... Please if we are missing something please let me know! We are a young couple wanting to settle down, but refuse to settle in this area where the school systems are so sad, and I know from experience! Please help!

I agree with Thriftygirl. The midsouth is the place to be. I'm on the border of Southaven and Olive Branch Mississippi and love it. We are nowhere from Memphis. My hubby and I go down to the riverside for special events and entertainment from time to time. Southaven has so much to offer, we find ourselves debating on what concert to go to or which movie to see as well as where to go eat dinner. When our family comes down from Chicago to visit, they have a ball. My sister and her family will be moving down here next year. They are both professionals and she has been given a job offer already. She posted her resume on this particular company's website and the rest is history. My husband's brother and two of his friends are looking for homes here as well. You're welcome to send me a "Direct Message" if you need more info. I can provide you with some references (property management companies and realtors) to assist you if you care to take a look at this area. Come up for the weekend with the family and you will see it is a different world here. I was born in the Mississippi delta in a small town 50 miles north of Jackson Mississippi which was really slow paced. My dad and uncles are still there and love it. They are retired so it works for them. However my hubby and I love to socialize with positive people and live life to the fullest so this was a good fit for us. Good luck with whatever you decide. Just don't take the south for granted. It definitely has a whole lot to offer. You just have to go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,388 times
hi every1..i'm coming from Egypt to oxford MS ..and i wanna know abt any activities there, and abt the safetly, crime...
can any1 help?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:44 AM

286 posts, read 167,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Growing up in Mississippi, I was very depressed. I have nothing against my home state or the people, it's just not a place I could ever return to. I was bored out of my mind. Depressed doesn't really say it. Since leaving many years ago, i've been much happier. It sounds like you require a more densely populated area. Jackson may help, but I think you'll require a much larger city than Jackson, I know I did.
This is how I felt. So many of us feel this way though. I just can't believe those people who say "I've been here for years and it's the best place in the world to live"...only a lifelong KKK member can feel that way about Mississippi, tbh.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:02 PM

13,457 posts, read 8,472,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin View Post
This is how I felt. So many of us feel this way though. I just can't believe those people who say "I've been here for years and it's the best place in the world to live"...only a lifelong KKK member can feel that way about Mississippi, tbh.
You answered a 3 1/2 year old post. Just sayin'.

On the other hand there are those of us who call Mississippi home and feel we have reason to like the place. When you come down to it, the problems I have to deal with are my own neighborhood and city. We don't have any particular crime problem; no particular race problem. Show me a problem here, and I could show you the same problem somewhere else.
My neighbor is black. Hers is white. Sometimes she borrows tools from me. My little white dog has a thing for her little white dog. She voted for Obama; I voted for McCain. We talked about it. No one got mad. She's Baptist; I don't go to church. She doesn't care. I forgot and left the keys in my truck last night. No problem. I had some left over lime that I was putting on my yard and I asked her if she would like for me to put it on her bare spots; Yes.
I've been meaning to call Johnny; I worked with him for years and we have the same birthday, but I retired. His wife was killed about 5 years ago. I think he's probably too lonely to retire. He's black.

See? It's all right.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You answered a 3 1/2 year old post. Just sayin'.

I just found this site. it's pretty cool to check the archives. I needed to catch up anyway, you guys have been going at it..lol

Quote:
On the other hand there are those of us who call Mississippi home and feel we have reason to like the place. When you come down to it, the problems I have to deal with are my own neighborhood and city. We don't have any particular crime problem; no particular race problem. Show me a problem here, and I could show you the same problem somewhere else.
My neighbor is black. Hers is white. Sometimes she borrows tools from me. My little white dog has a thing for her little white dog. She voted for Obama; I voted for McCain. We talked about it. No one got mad. She's Baptist; I don't go to church. She doesn't care. I forgot and left the keys in my truck last night. No problem. I had some left over lime that I was putting on my yard and I asked her if she would like for me to put it on her bare spots; Yes.
I've been meaning to call Johnny; I worked with him for years and we have the same birthday, but I retired. His wife was killed about 5 years ago. I think he's probably too lonely to retire. He's black.

See? It's all right.
I grew up in Mississippi and yes there is a sect of downhome people in Mississippi that are nice as heck and will bake you a pie when you didn't ask for it. I agree.

My whole peg on Mississippi, since I'm from there, is WHY it chooses to remain in the dark ages in terms of lifestyle, quality of life, etc...

you and I both know that Mississpi should be the best place for tourists, to raise a family and best in quality of life in all of America, but sadly it's not, and that's by design. the old guard has trained the new guard to "keep it low" and low it shall remain.

Mississippi has numerous museums, landmarks, etc..but that's it. the state itself is set up to be so much more with all the rolling hills and Tall trees and goregous lanscaping and just positioning on the map..and things grow green in Mississppi. BUT instead of capitalizing on that potential. Mississippians(mainly the leadership) has steered Mississippi towards becoming the ultimate retirement community, rivaling those in Florida.

I'm convinced that Mississippi was not sure of which way to go during the days of the New Orleans booms, Memphis booms, Birmingham booms and Atlanta booms and just got lost in the shuffle and turned inward on itself and it's inhabitants. causing what you have today...stagnant growth run by stagnant people.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:14 PM

2,478 posts, read 4,850,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin View Post
Keep in mind Truckin, although not exclusive to Mississippians (but I'd say it's more common than in the West or North), many people born in a given area never give other parts of the country a try, they just assume. I can't understand it, but it's the attitude and mentality of several members of my family. To me it's akin to saying you don't like a type of food, yet you've never tried it, smelled it, etc. You've only seen it on TV. It's backward thinking, but what are you going to do. I have family that has never been outside of MS, AL and LA. They have no desire to either. I shake my head, because to me, life is too short to live in one place. Try on several places, and see which one you like the most. Sample all that life has to give.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Keep in mind Truckin, although not exclusive to Mississippians (but I'd say it's more common than in the West or North), many people born in a given area never give other parts of the country a try, they just assume. I can't understand it, but it's the attitude and mentality of several members of my family. To me it's akin to saying you don't like a type of food, yet you've never tried it, smelled it, etc. You've only seen it on TV. It's backward thinking, but what are you going to do. I have family that has never been outside of MS, AL and LA. They have no desire to either. I shake my head, because to me, life is too short to live in one place. Try on several places, and see which one you like the most. Sample all that life has to give.

I agree. I'm a trucker,hence my user name..corny I know..lol..but anyways, It wasn't until I got on the open road and went to other places like Northern California all the way to the twin Cities in Minnesota(Goregeous cities btw)...back down to Miami that I realized.....
.....Mississippi, although an awesome state in terms of: Weather, scenery, position on the map(Dead center in the South butted up next to the Gulf so we have beaches like California/Florida and bordered by a giant River named after OUR state) and landscaping(Mississippi is far from flat...lots of Gulley's, Rivers, mini gorges, rollings high hillls, tall trees, etc..), ....
.....It suffers from: Backwards thinking, Arrogant, slow ambition having, finger pointing, unadulterated ignorant people that dominate the populous across the board from white to black, who are too busy in-fighting over the future of the State. So you end up having a continuous campaign of fraudlent politicians trying to win positions across the state for their "groupthink" which landlocks any and all progress for Mississippi. Too much political posturing from both sides so nothing ever gets done. the leadership sucks in Mississippi..statewide. Just a bunch of lazy bums in office, enjoying their squat state jobs, and going fishing on the weekends. So in essence, Mississippi is just one big retirement community. only one culture and that's "porch life". Every story on the news, if not about crime, is about Ms. Mable who grew a garden and yeilded a truckload of snap peas....JUST SLOW. That's Mississippi in a nutshell.

Also when the Fed sends money to the state or the state itself wins a lawsuit(big tobacco), the money never gets put to use because of the in-fighting and gradually is secrectly syphoned off until somebody is busted for embezzellment, and the circus continues.

And don't let me get started on the Banks in Mississippi. You need an act of Congress to get a SB loan unless you're in the good ol' boy network.

Poor Mississippi.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindajlue View Post
Mississippi is a great place to raise children if you plan on doing that any time soon. I think you are always going to be bored. I say move. I am hoping to move to Florida now that my child is grown and can't wait to get there. I have lived in MS all my life and I am bored..lol

Only in the country towns of Mississippi like Oxford or Tupelo. not in cities like Jackson, Meridian, Greenville, Gulport. too much crime.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
For all y'all who are indicating you can't leave the state fast enough, that you are "bored", that you only have "negative" things to write about the state in toto, let me ask you this: Is it of your opinion that the rest of the population in the area you live owes you something, must step up to the plate wearing its heart on the arm, showing an open breast, just to please you, just to get you out of your "boredom"? We are all bored from time to time, not just in MS, either (I'm in TX, by the way, and my home state is MS). When boredom sets in, it is up to the individual to get from beneath that yoke, not someone else's. Now, if you're chomping about depression, real depression not just "boredom", then I would suggest professional assistance.
It's not about wearing your heart on your arm but it is about voicing your concerns and if nobody is responding to your concerns(Mississippi leadership), then it's time to leave. that's common sense. why keep spending your tax money in a place that doesn't respect or appreciate your hard earned dollar? You people who would justrather suffer thru decades of non-prosperity and lack, you go right ahead, but for me, common sense trumps nonsense anyday.

and you're in Texas, WHY? looking for things to do right? go figure

Old 02-02-2012, 11:39 PM

5,844 posts, read 15,901,573 times
Again - it's a 3+ year old thread. Sassyfrass hasn't posted since 2008. I doubt she comes here and looks around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi