U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you move out of Mississippi ?
Yes 146 66.67%
No 49 22.37%
Maybe 24 10.96%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:03 PM

2,595 posts, read 1,717,155 times
Isn't it funny, I just got back from Mississippi, and had an opposite experience. Though I was there for 2 days (so I can't really say anything against cwaggy) the food was great and the people were too. I was in Vicksburg and trekked downward to Louisiana. I didn't see any racism actually, it would be unfair to say that Mississippi is all racist and Massechusetts is the bastion of all purity and upstanding. Racial problems exist everywhere. And when I was in Mississippi it felt more like I stepped into a place where time stopped, nothing much went on and it was peaceful, and I'm here to tell you, that is not a bad thing. But I find that I could only realistically move to Mississippi if there were only a good job opportunity in New Orleans or Memphis or one of Mississippi's cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 PM

30 posts, read 39,508 times
I love Mississippi so much I decided to defend it by joining the MS Army national guard. 2 deployments later I still love it. We have one of the finest national guard units out of the country. During deployment I always smiled when we hoist the MS state flag or I met another fellow mississippian. I love it here so much. growing up, I moved to Texas, alabama, oregon and vermont and I always seemed to make it back to the sipp.

Good people
Cheap to live here
great food
southern charm
nice communitys

Nightlife may not be abundant as NYC but, you have to know where to look. there here, trust me.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM

30 posts, read 39,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
I just spent a week there on business; it has good BBQ and very nice people but I could not live there,not a chance. The roads are awful, the politics is still pretty Neanderthal and there is not much to do except go to the County Fairs. And the history there - the racism in particular - is still percolating through every day culture. Plus they still smoke in restaurants, nothing gets recycled and even in Jackson, the Capital, there was NOTHING going on after work. We went to a package store to get a nip for some Cokes so we could relax back at the hotel, which had cockroaches - and we were propositioned by the skankiest hos who were hanging out in the parking lot. Seems like I stepped into a bad movie for about 5 days. I could not wait to get home.

Thats what you get for staying in Jackson..jeez..even us locals find Jackson disgusting. You should of ventured outside the city and traveled up 55 to Madison or get off at the Lakeland exit. Just saying... dont judge the Sipp off of Jackson...seriously..

Even the locals here have bumper stickers that read "Pray for Jackson"

Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,953 times
I have lived in Mississippi for 33 years and the only change I've seen benefits "certain" people.
If you want to make it here its not what you know...its who you know....you better not get into any trouble because you will be scarred for life. This state is strict, very..... If they could get way with out it being illegal, they would still do public hangings.....they would still burn crosses (and that is so funny because how you go to church and claim christanity but kill, burn, and hate) HA!!!!!!!!!!! funny.....this state teaches us to hate difference...tolerate it a little but hate it....this state is afraid of change..but the funny part of it all is the people here think they are "ALMIGHTY"....I would imagine when this world comes to an end...MS will be the first to burn..that's why I gots to go....

Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,953 times
Sorry and no offense
But a Lie and I have been here 33 years.
Please don't be decieved.....

Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 539 times
Mississippi sucks over all but it has cheap living an good outdoor recreation but if only memphis had of been in mississippi then wed have revenue but nothing says a city like major league sports gooooooooo grizzliessssss and there are towns like lexington ms that has all type of poverty an from town to town all you see are people missing out on life and for jackson to be a capital is such a shame i mean downtown jackson is just as dead as all the small towns it looks down on an it it wasent for south haven an biloxi mississppi would have any good cities and the college towns arent any better so yea over all it sucks

Old 11-10-2011, 08:33 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSISSIPPI VOODOO ZOMBIE View Post
Mississippi sucks over all but it has cheap living an good outdoor recreation but if only memphis had of been in mississippi then wed have revenue but nothing says a city like major league sports gooooooooo grizzliessssss and there are towns like lexington ms that has all type of poverty an from town to town all you see are people missing out on life and for jackson to be a capital is such a shame i mean downtown jackson is just as dead as all the small towns it looks down on an it it wasent for south haven an biloxi mississppi would have any good cities and the college towns arent any better so yea over all it sucks
Not only did you answer a one year old post, but in the process of doing so expressed yourself no better than a Chick-fil-A cow.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 AM

186 posts, read 357,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSISSIPPI VOODOO ZOMBIE View Post
We obviously have some issues with education......

Old 03-30-2014, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 528 times
Ah. Mississippi. Between Memphis and the MS coast, it's a heck of a boring place to live. If you live there or want to live there, you better like high humidity mixed w/the heat of the summer and then the cold humidity of the winters that gets into your bones, which incidentally, feels colder than even Missouri, which has much lower humidity. Humidity is the key. You can't get out in the summer and ride bikes, jog, play tennis or do any other fast-paced sport 'cuz the heat will kill you. It zaps your energy, you can simply sit on your porch and you'll perspire as if you're in a sauna or run a 10-mile marathon. The coldness of the winters further north are tolerable. There isn't much to do in MS in the mid-section of the state either, and in Jackson, the capital, on a Sunday, there's absolutely nothing to do unless you want to go to a movie, the zoo or the science museum. It is THE bible belt and that tells you a lot. I'm a Christian but that doesn't mean life shouldn't be enjoyed in many ways. I lived there for 50 years, getting out recently and am so relieved. I do like the state in the spring and fall and will go back to visit...but at those times of the year.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 6,638,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagleolemiss View Post
Thats what you get for staying in Jackson..jeez..even us locals find Jackson disgusting. You should of ventured outside the city and traveled up 55 to Madison or get off at the Lakeland exit. Just saying... dont judge the Sipp off of Jackson...seriously..

Even the locals here have bumper stickers that read "Pray for Jackson"
I don't even want to "venture" why you consider Jackson "disgusting" considering it's the closest thing Mississippi has to "civilization".
I remember driving through your state and thinking "Is this really a American state"? Because I would say it looked more "third World" to me but that would be insulting "Third World" nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi