U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move out of Mississippi ?
Yes 172 67.45%
No 58 22.75%
Maybe 25 9.80%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:52 AM

356 posts, read 1,215,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by too long in mississippi View Post
I've lived in MS off and on since I was born over 40 years ago and now it's just a matter of time until I move away for good. The heat and humidity is nothing compared to the narrow mindedness of the people. If you are not Baptist and Republican you might have trouble making friends. And if you are a member of ACLU or PETA be sure to lock your doors and board your windows. People here have low tolerance for those that are different. The good things about MS (the friendliness of the people, the food) are overshadowed by people who just can't live and let live. Most people here feel it is their place to tell others how to live their lives. My advice is - don't move here. It's hot most of the time, we hardly ever get snow in the winter time and the job market sucks. Not to mention illegal aliens, litter, corrupt politicians and racial problems. There's just not enough here to justify moving here when there are 49 other states to pick from. After all, Mississippi doesn't rank 50th in most catergories for nothing! I think the only two things MS is 1st in is unwed teenage mothers and syphillis. Think about it carefully!

From reading your post, I would guess you haven't travelled much. You are going to find the problems you talk about all over the country. I hope you find what you're looking for, but I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,703 times
Default Hurricane fatigued

I've lived here off and on most of my 47 years. Here, West Texas, here, Chicago, here, San Diego, here. It was the saltwater smell that kept bringing me back to the Coast.

However, I'm done. Hurricanes just never seemed to be as frequent when I was younger. Now every year there's a 3 - 4 day panic, 3 or 4 times every summer. I'm still trying to find that "place" which has no bad weather. No tornadoes, no wild fires, no earthquakes, no whatever. It probably doesn't exist. But my nerves can't take it any longer.

It is lovely here and you do have friendliness that I have never found elsewhere in the country. Imagine the looks I got in San Diego when saying Hi to someone I didn't know! LOL!

Here is my take on the trash everyone keeps mentioning. It is HORRIBLE along the Coast. The excuses range from "I didn't do it, it blew out of the back of my truck." to "It's OK, the prisoners are going to pick it up anyway." It's part of the culture here, and until that is changed, trash will remain a problem.

I believe that the stereotypes most people have of Mississippi (and the South) are perpetuated by Hollywood. I don't think anything has been shown the way it is here today. All I see are rehashings of how it was 40 - 50 years ago.

As for anyone looking to move here, by all means, come!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:54 AM

21 posts, read 52,746 times
LOL You said it "Sam I Am" Thanks again to all of you. 'Too Long in MS', I feel for you. It is frustrating to live amongst all that; but we do see and find what we look for. And believe me, I am not satisfied by my location. It is a very nice middle class environment; but everything you say rings true here as well. Most people want to think they are surrounded by people just like themselves. That's why we' re all shocked when we find out someone is a closet cross dresser....or has a 2nd family somewhere...I dont mean to make light. I don't think I have ever found a place that completely allows live and let live.
Certainly you are not alone in your ideas about things as they are around you. Most people are just doing what they were taught to do without thinking about why they do it.
It takes strength and courage to be true to one's self, that's why we all admire someone who achieves that. It means stepping out and being yourself, regardless of what others might say, you can still "do it" and ignore the riducule or negativity.

We have Baptists and Republicans, litter and illegals here in NJ too. But I dont have to listen to the Baps, or Repubs, the litter crosses all income levels and usually the spoiled kids around here who don't pick up after themselves. As far as illegals, they ususally do the jobs no one else would be willing to take, they do fantastic landscaping and charge nothing....
There is enough for everyone, everything because we don't all want the same thing. Our ideas of what we want is not the same. It is illusion that if it werent for this group or that, we wouldnt have problems. All those ways of thinking is meant to control the masses. Anyway, I digress from the original posts. I don't mean to use this for personal rants.
Thank you for all your insight. And when its all said and done we are all FREE to move where we want, when we want in the US. We are all response-able for what we have/get in life, regardless of where you are right now. Be well, MM

Old 09-13-2008, 12:21 PM

947 posts, read 3,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchidog View Post
Hello, I'm not from Mississippi, I live in the Chicago area. As I'm reading some of the Mississippi threads, I hearing that alot of people that from Mississippi want to move out of the state and a lot of transplants from up North and west coast that moved to Mississippi recently saying that they have made a big mistake, saying that it is too slow and boring, lack of nightlife, activities, good schools and they want to move or move back to a big city metro area. I want know your feelings on if you have/had chance ,would you move out of Mississippi if the opportunity comes to you ?
I worked in The MS Delta from October 2003 to June 2004 and only left 'cuse I couldn't put up with my boss anymore, plus the nearest place related to my industry was 20 miles away east or west and there weren't any job openings.

I would come back again, though.. and I've looked for work in the state.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:24 PM

947 posts, read 3,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
I am kind of thinking about leaving now that I am retired. I am from Pa and I have all my family there. I love PA and missed it a lot at first. But now I would miss Ms like crazy. As another poster said it has a mystery and is haunting. It has special charms and an appeal that grew on me. Most importantly, it is a cheerful place. Blue skies, smiling faces, and upbeat attitudes despite adversity.

For the "MS is boring" problem, I would like to make this point. When I was younger and without family obligations, I enjoyed the big city. Certainly, that is understandable that young single people looking for adventure and new experiences and a chance to grow don't want to be settled into a family-oriented locale. That would be true of many places besides Ms. When you are young you should explore the offerings of as many places as you can and that includes a big city and its myriad opportunities for learning and meeting a variety of viewpoints, tons of freebies as far as fun things, and connecting with the world at large.

But when you become engrossed in your career, your family, and your home then turn back to Ms. Particularly if you have a great job and have the means to travel and stay connected with the outside world, it becomes your personal oasis from which you can venture out as often as you like. Then you can come back and enjoy the smiles and the sunshine and sit poolside in your
beautiful five bedroom home on a lake that you paid about $300,000 for--before you book yourself a trip to see some shows in New York. So Ms is great if you are settled or if you have means. Young or on a strict budget--not so much.

I think ANY TOWN, no matter where it is or where your from.. if someone has spent a great amount of time there.. say 2 to 3 or more years.. it will just grow on you.

After you've been somewhere awhile, you feel like you're at home.. you feel like you belong ebcause you've gotten settled into a routine and that's what's safe and comfortbale with. And by no means is anything wrong with that.

All that combined, you become attached to a place without even realizing it, because you know if you moved to a completely different state, you'd have to have a whole new routine all over again.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
You can get a 5 bedroom lake home for $300k? Is that for a fixer-upper or a newer construction. With prices like that, I'll bet MS is a up and comer for us snowbirds.
You can get that for $100K in Jefferson Davis County. After NAFTA, the economy here took a nose dive, and houses are cheap. Prentiss, MS has become a retirement community. Everyone here is retired, and it shows, everything is becoming geared toward providing for retirees. As the economy shifts towards a retirement community, the houses will go back up in price, but right now you could get a 3/2 for $25,000 if you shopped around.

[url=http://www.jeffdavisms.com]Jefferson Davis County Economic Development[/url]

Later,
RushB

Old 10-21-2008, 03:57 PM

2,478 posts, read 4,850,856 times
I was born and raised in Mississippi. The day after I turned 18 I was gone. I would never move back. Family is always trying to get me to come back, but seeing some of the places i've seen, I can't imagine living in the state. I am proud to be from Mississippi but life is too slow in Mississippi for me. I don't agree with the way of thinking either. Its always good to go back home and visit, but after a few days, i'm ready to get out.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 PM

22 posts, read 65,383 times
I moved out of Jackson (actually suburbs Byram and Florence) to Miami, FL just 3 days after I graduated high school, only to find out my school wasn't accredited and I still had to get my GED. How embarrassing, I mean it's bad enough to come from the most uneducated and poorest state. Off topic, but that really ticked me off, since I had already dealt with so much living in that state.
I won't give all the details of my troubled child hood, which is about 75% of what I think of when I think of Mississippi, but I will say that with the lack of extra curricular activities, and lack of self worth and ambition, parents and kids end up finding themselves stuck there, with no place better to go, because they don't know that there are better places, and more opportunity somewhere else. I think every single one of my friends' parents, and my own, had some sort of addiction to drugs or alcohol abuse, and I can't count how many girls in my middle school and high school got pregnant and didn't graduate. I am aware that this happens everywhere, but I remember the first couple times I heard of teen pregnancies, and I'm pretty sure it started in or around MS. I could go on and on and on about the negatives of living in or being from Mississippi, but I won't. (I don't mean to offend anyone, these are my own opinions from my own experiences and aren't meant to label everyone.)
I still love Mississippi with all my heart, and it will always be my first home. I do have many many good memories there, and I can contribute that fully to my dear grandparents who still reside in Florence. The smell of the air in MS is refreshing and clean, and the skies are gorgeous. I love the changing seasons. We have one season here, and it's summer. Twice a year we get a "cold front", which consists of 2 days of 65 degree weather. People actually bring out their fur coats and snow boots!!! I also really love the people and how friendly they are. It does really bug me that when I go to a store here in Florida, the workers don't even hardly look at you, much less say Hi, and yesterday, in the checkout line at Big Lots I said Hello, how are you, and the girl didn't say ONE WORD...
About the racism in Mississippi, trust me, it is EVERYWHERE. The only difference is, here in Florida it's not just black and white, it's every race. And pretty much every race hates each other. I think I see it here more than I saw it in Mississippi, or maybe people aren't afraid to speak their opinions here.
Trash is everywhere too, not just in MS. And we don't have prisoners picking up our trash, we just get fined for littering.
One of my favorite things about Mississippi is the coziness of it, especially in my grandparents' house, and the lifelong friendships you make. Mississippi friends will take bullets for you when others will jump behind you

With that said, I don't think I would oppose moving back to Mississippi, if it was for a good cause, or if I was retired with nothing else to do, just know that there are many, many places I need to see first.

Last edited by mrspowers; 10-29-2008 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: forgot to answer thread question

Old 11-03-2008, 12:09 PM

11 posts, read 34,250 times
Default Re: Mississippi

I agree with one post I read about the contradictions inherent in Mississippi. There can be racism, but along side it, compassion. In fact, the most generous people in the country live in Mississippi. Mississippi is number 1 in charitable donations in the entire country. Most Mississippians are able to deal with contradictions, and they don't get entirely offended if someone says something bad about the state. I live in Maine now, and they dislike outsiders. It's something that everyone knows, but I said it on this forum and was told I was "trolling". In Mississippi, you can say, people are not educated or that the state has the highest rate of obesity in the United states, and noone will come at you with an intolerate raving. Even though it is a red state, surprisingly, there is a tolerance for opinions.
Having said, this, I experienced a town with some clickishness that was in the extreme. An outsider would like the friendliness and generosity of the people, but probably dislike the inefficency, and lack of openess to improvements. I live in the northeast which is exacty the opposite of Mississippi, but it is helping me balance parts of me that were perhaps too generous and friendly. If you are attracted to Mississippi perhaps on a higher spiritual level your soul is seeking some kind of lesson. And if people want to leave Mississippi, the same goes for them. About the welfare image of Mississippi, I've seen more welfare abuse in the northeast by far.
I can say that about Mississippi but not about the northeast without getting an angry reply. That's one difference between us...we're more laid back.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:46 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,024,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I want know your feelings on if you have/had chance ,would you move out of Mississippi if the opportunity comes to you ?
I've lived here all my life, grew up in several towns, graduated from high school and college in MS, and now work and live in MS. Many of the students that I graduated with moved off to places like New York, Austin, Switzerland, San Diego, Chicago, etc, but I stayed here. I have a 5 year old daughter, so that is one big reason, and almost all of my family lives in MS. If that wasn't the case, I believe I would still be here, because I have developed a love for the city of Jackson and she is on the upswing right now, which provides me with a great opportunity to make exciting changes to the built environment. I also believe in giving back to those who have helped you along the way, and since I was raised in MS, I am glad to provide my services to those who need it here. It is not only my duty, but it is a way of being respectful and showing dignity, which are very common traits here in MS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi