U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move out of Mississippi ?
Yes 172 67.45%
No 58 22.75%
Maybe 25 9.80%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:47 AM

15 posts, read 41,012 times

Advertisements

Yes I would leave MS but only because I am tired of the heat, humidity and hurricanes. I live on the Gulf Coast and love the area. Yes there are problems such as poverty, racism, and people who will judge you if you are different, but you can find that anywhere. Most people are very friendly and help each other. That was how we have started recovering from Hurricane Katrina. We may not be as exciting as some areas but there are several big cities close by. Most are within a few hours drive. Yes the litter is bad in some areas. I can't stand it when I see someone throw paper or cigarette butts out their car window. That it something we all need to work on. The cost of living is rising around here but the pay is slowing starting to increase. I love the area but i just really hate the fact that there is only one season HOT!!! I would like to move where the weather is a little cooler. I would miss it though cause my heart is here. I would suggest anyone wanting to move here to come see what we are like. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 03:48 AM

947 posts, read 3,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephk0424 View Post
Yes I would leave MS but only because I am tired of the heat, humidity and hurricanes. I live on the Gulf Coast and love the area. Yes there are problems such as poverty, racism, and people who will judge you if you are different, but you can find that anywhere. Most people are very friendly and help each other. That was how we have started recovering from Hurricane Katrina. We may not be as exciting as some areas but there are several big cities close by. Most are within a few hours drive. Yes the litter is bad in some areas. I can't stand it when I see someone throw paper or cigarette butts out their car window. That it something we all need to work on. The cost of living is rising around here but the pay is slowing starting to increase. I love the area but i just really hate the fact that there is only one season HOT!!! I would like to move where the weather is a little cooler. I would miss it though cause my heart is here. I would suggest anyone wanting to move here to come see what we are like. I don't think you will be disappointed.
I know what you mean when you say "I would miss it though, because my heart is here".. I feel that way about a few places I've lived... and would love to go back if even given the chance.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:05 AM

356 posts, read 1,215,617 times
Nothing like a good insult to get you going in the morning. Perhaps I spelled traveled wrong because I attended school in Great Britain. I have also spent a lot of time in other states and foreign countries so I'm not completely ignorant. By the way, I wouldn't know how to begin making a quilt and I don't have much time for making pies.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-22-2009 at 04:42 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 02:40 PM

59 posts, read 175,878 times
I am 31 and have lived in MS all my life. My family is from McComb and Amite County. I was born in McComb and raised in Jackson. I must admit, that MS is beautiful and yes, the smell is oh so very sweet. I love the history of the state (good and bad) and the friendliness of its people. I love the food and even the hellacious summers (lol). The mosquitoes and the fire ants can take a hike though; but I would have to say that I would move and will move next year after I graduate from JSU. MS is slow, but that is not the reason for my future move. I've never been the one who would want to stay in one place forever. I like to travel and experience different things. I'm moving to New Orleans next year for grad school and I can't wait for the experince. MY family and I love NOLA and can't wait to move there. I also found out when researching our family tree, most of my dad's paternal and maternal side of the family has creole roots in Louisiana. Most people in Pike or Amite county have roots or some type of connection to Baton Rouge or New Orleans. I would like to discover that Louisiana connetion some. Anyway, I have gotten off subject. One day, I think I would return to MS. Only because of family and my love for JSU.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:08 PM

134 posts, read 573,312 times
I already left MS in 2004 on full ride scholarship to the University of Arkansas-Fayetteville. Go, Razorbacks! Thank goodness! MS was so boring and too rural for my taste. I was born and raised in Grenada graduating from GHS. To be honest, I wouldn't want to return back to MS. Of course, I cherish my memories of growing up in Grenada and I still visit my family there. What bothers me about MS people is the fact that they are friendly then they eventually changed. That's like hypocrisy especially when most of them are being Bible thumpers who can't respect if you don't belong to a church. Also, it's the living environment that bothers me. Not all but the majority of Mississippians are generally narrow-minded and uneducated racists who don't like change. I thought in order for MS to progress forward in time, they ought to listen to former Gov. Ronnie Musgrove and approved that new state flag few years ago. How can you be Americans if you are embracing Rebel flags and Southern Heritage craps? Come on, this is 2009 with the first black President in Oval Office; get over it and move forward. It's no wonder why MS lags behind in everything. Arkansas has its own problems but at least, we are moving forward. My alma mater Univ. of AR is a 1st tier university ranking at 124th out of Top 200 American Universities while MSU and Ole Miss are both Tier 3 universities. Maybe if the Univ. of MS gets rid of its nickname Ole Miss and its racist mascot, it would be ranked as one of Tier 1 universities. Didn't you know that Ole Miss was an offensive term that white children used to call their mammy (black nanny) in Old South? The City of Little Rock is actually a city with vibrant Downtown area and full of amenties/choices/nightlife compared to Jackson. There are so much progress in AR with the state being the home state of Bill Clinton, Wal-Mart, J.B. Hunt, Tyson, and Dilliard including one Maybelline location and many trucking companies; partial smoking ban in AR is a plus. Anyway, here are my reasons for leaving MS plus it also explains why many people bash the state so much.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:51 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,598,153 times
In several Mississippi communities, people are moving in rapidly and in this forum often have had nice things to say; Hernando, Southaven, Olive Branch, Oxford, Tupelo, Starkville, Madison, Brandon, Ridgeland, Flowood, Hattiesburg, Laurel, Ocean Springs, Gulfport, and Bay St. Louis are all growing areas. Other nice communities include Corinth, Lucedale, Brookhaven, Columbus, Natchez, and Clinton, among others . National economic data last week are showing Mississippi's economy among the first to begin turning around, as evidenced by the unemployment rate which has dropped below the national average, for example up to two percentage points lower than Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama. While Arkansas is indeed doing well, perhaps due to Wal-Mart's success (to its credit) during the recession, Northwest Mississippi (DeSoto County), adding about 80,000 residents per decade, is growing just as quickly as Northwest Arkansas.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:38 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,612,910 times
I wish posters would stop referring to some little rural town with two stoplights, call it boring, and say they are leaving Mississippi because IT is boring. Mississippi has small, limited, rustic towns where most people never left the county. True enough. I wouldn't live there either. But it also has other areas that offer a good quality of life, value for the buck, and a very pleasant lifestyle.

Now for the young and restless--get out and see the world--to be sure. I grew up in a small Pa town and although we were only 80 miles from NYC it seemed like a million back in those days without the major access roads. And I wanted out. I left, ventured about, traveled, studied. When I settled into a career and raising a family I ended up in Ms and I never have regretted spending this middle part of my life here.

Without the restlessness of early youth I could appreciate the genteel and pleasant atmosphere, a beautiful home, nice people, and plenty of activities. And when I get antsy, I book a flight.

So it depends on where you are in life, what you have experienced so far, what means you have (without disposable income anyplace can become a prison. Stay in school and get a skill or a profession!!) and where you need to go. But somewhere along that journey MS offers glory days.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:43 PM

93 posts, read 186,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I want know your feelings on if you have/had chance ,would you move out of Mississippi if the opportunity comes to you ?
No, I would never want to move out of Mississippi.

I was raised in North Mississippi, although I've lived other places in the South such as Alabama & South Carolina. I even spent two years living in Los Angeles.

I've grown to love the state and its people. My husband is also from Mississippi, and getting him to leave would be a major effort. Also, by now, I've got a large client and colleague base here in Jackson - I moved here in 1989. We're here to stay.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:32 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,281,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
I wish posters would stop referring to some little rural town with two stoplights, call it boring, and say they are leaving Mississippi because IT is boring. Mississippi has small, limited, rustic towns where most people never left the county. True enough. I wouldn't live there either. But it also has other areas that offer a good quality of life, value for the buck, and a very pleasant lifestyle.

Now for the young and restless--get out and see the world--to be sure. I grew up in a small Pa town and although we were only 80 miles from NYC it seemed like a million back in those days without the major access roads. And I wanted out. I left, ventured about, traveled, studied. When I settled into a career and raising a family I ended up in Ms and I never have regretted spending this middle part of my life here.

Without the restlessness of early youth I could appreciate the genteel and pleasant atmosphere, a beautiful home, nice people, and plenty of activities. And when I get antsy, I book a flight.

So it depends on where you are in life, what you have experienced so far, what means you have (without disposable income anyplace can become a prison. Stay in school and get a skill or a profession!!) and where you need to go. But somewhere along that journey MS offers glory days.

I live in Scranton, Pa, where did u live?

Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 PM

783 posts, read 1,931,954 times
Sure I'd move out! I've left MS to live in San Diego, I've left MS to live in upstate NY, I've left MS to live in Los Angeles, I've left MS to live in Knoxville TN...

Just so long as I can move back, it's not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi