Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move out of Mississippi ?
Yes 172 67.45%
No 58 22.75%
Maybe 25 9.80%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:55 PM

756 posts, read 2,000,031 times

Advertisements

I lived in MS. most of my life and now I live in TX. I have moved and sometimes I miss it but I think that I am just missing the south weather it be GA,LA,MS....I just miss that feel of being home.
I have lived in CO.WI.KY.TX. and they still do not feel like home at the same time I am the 1st. to say MS. has many faults that I am not very proud of but at the same time I am very proud to say I am from there, but sadly I do not think I will ever live there again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 09:59 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,466 times
I would definitely move; I don't have much of a connection here (besides family, of course) and I wasn't born here.

That being said, it depends on where I'd move; I don't care much for the bigger cities in the Southeast, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to move to any of those cities unless I had a huge increase of salary (not just making up for higher costs of living.) If I had an opportunity to move to the Northwest, Great Lakes, or New England and keep my same standard of living (or slightly lower, but just slightly), I'd do it.

Yeah, it's all about the climate for me. I don't mind rural or small town life; I'm not a social person, so it's easy to find things to do by myself or with an acquaintance.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:34 AM

51 posts, read 241,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
I would definitely move; I don't have much of a connection here (besides family, of course) and I wasn't born here.

That being said, it depends on where I'd move; I don't care much for the bigger cities in the Southeast, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to move to any of those cities unless I had a huge increase of salary (not just making up for higher costs of living.) If I had an opportunity to move to the Northwest, Great Lakes, or New England and keep my same standard of living (or slightly lower, but just slightly), I'd do it.

Yeah, it's all about the climate for me. I don't mind rural or small town life; I'm not a social person, so it's easy to find things to do by myself or with an acquaintance.
good luck keeping same standard of living in small New England. I am back in Mississippi making slightly less than I was in the rural adirondacks of New York on the Vermont border, my cost of living was much higher, but standard of living about equal to MS, cost of hearting for the upcoming year is looking to be around 600.00 a month, of course with a wood stove that would come down some. I am not certain what type of work you do, but the job market in small town NEw ENgland is very slow. Of course having said that, if you are thinking more along Boston, Hartfiord CT then perhaps more work, but then housing goes up hugely and still the problem with heating and fewer opps for wood heat in the city. Good luck. Just my expereince, and yes, I loved the New England area as I was raised in rural NH but, very expensive, and my sister if she could sell her house, is a nurse at Dartmouth Hitchcock agreews and wants to move out as well.
Good luck

Old 07-28-2008, 07:32 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiloxi View Post
I just left MS because it is just too unkempt. The people have little pride in the state and there litter problem is out of control. It breaks my heart because MS is such a beautiful place.
All of my life I wanted nothing more than to live in MS, I have been to every state except Alaska, and still like MS best, in spite of its faults. After all, no place if perfect.
The MS experience is hard to put in words for me, in many ways it is a state of contradictions and extremes, very mysterious and hauntingly beautiful. MS is more of a feeling for me, I use to feel better there then anywhere else. It even smells better than any other state. True Mississippi lovers will know what I mean when I say it is a state unlike anywhere else and its allure will work on only a select few; I feel fortunate to have been one of the few "that gets it".
Although Ive been gone only two months, I know I will eventually miss it, its pull on my heart strings will once again draw me back; but only for a visit, I will never live there again unless it changes drastically, to my liking...which it will not, and should not unless it wants too. Anyway, Im rambling...but Yes...I did move there, left there after 1 1/2 years and would not return.
I saw very little litter along I-20 and surrounding areas while passing through.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:12 AM

15 posts, read 61,917 times
Ya I don't understand the litter thing but maybe it was more where that poster is from. Here in Philadelphia the city jail gets volunteers to pick up litter on side of roads in city limits. They get small amt of pay for it and like they say, its a good chance to feel the outdoors and really stretch out (inmates have said). I have traveled through north of ms and eastern and south but not the western side of the state at all so maybe its regional?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:14 AM

756 posts, read 2,000,031 times
The litter is not that bad in MS. compared to other areas I have been.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:29 AM

21 posts, read 58,741 times
Hello Everyone, You all have alot to say on this topic. I am interested in moving down from NJ. I hope when I come you lock the gate and don't let anyone else from NJ in!

We are all at different chapters in our lives. I had a very exciting life in my youth because I had the opportunity to travel all over the world. So I am past foot loose and fancy free. Well my kids will be leaving and I will be foot loose and fancy free again but in a different way.

I am looking for quiet, slow and heat! And whoever posted about the scent...of MS...I know what you mean. It is subtle and fragrant.

Also the parent who wrote about the quality of education---I agree--your kids get out of it has more to do with your ongoing support and involvement. Doesn't that just make sense?

If you love it---stay if you don't ---there is someplace right for you!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
I'm 25, I just graduated from college this past May and I bought a 1520 sq ft house here in Mississippi. Better yet, only 18% of my wife's and my income goes toward our house payment. And no, I'm no doctor, lawyer, or even close to that type of salary.

I'm not leaving Mississippi, it's my home and is a great place to come home to after my travels. The low cost of living allows me to travel and spend time and money on other hobbies, while still allowing me to save and invest as well. The politics are not that great right now, but neither is the country's either. I'm hoping to see a turn around in both in the near future.

I get a little bit of the city life here in Jackson, and I get out to the country in less than 30 minutes drive from the house. I like visiting big cities, like Chicago and Boston, but I like my lifestyle the way it is right here in Mississippi.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 14,796 times
I've lived in MS off and on since I was born over 40 years ago and now it's just a matter of time until I move away for good. The heat and humidity is nothing compared to the narrow mindedness of the people. If you are not Baptist and Republican you might have trouble making friends. And if you are a member of ACLU or PETA be sure to lock your doors and board your windows. People here have low tolerance for those that are different. The good things about MS (the friendliness of the people, the food) are overshadowed by people who just can't live and let live. Most people here feel it is their place to tell others how to live their lives. My advice is - don't move here. It's hot most of the time, we hardly ever get snow in the winter time and the job market sucks. Not to mention illegal aliens, litter, corrupt politicians and racial problems. There's just not enough here to justify moving here when there are 49 other states to pick from. After all, Mississippi doesn't rank 50th in most catergories for nothing! I think the only two things MS is 1st in is unwed teenage mothers and syphillis. Think about it carefully!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:26 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Wow, too long...I think your name says it all! Baptists, Republicans, illegal aliens, litter, political corruption, racial problems, and people who can't just let live, narrowmindedness and heat and humidity...oh my! And no snow....so you gotta be headed north. I'm almost afraid to ask where you're headed to that has none of that, or even a substantial reduction in that.

I'd bet where ever you are headed they will find your accent quite charming...you'll most likely be one of a kind, or one of a few. Good luck in pursuing your dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi