Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 4,914 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know anything about Alexander's Ridge subdivision in Olive Branch? What about Center Hill High School? My son is currently attending a top 10 rated public school in Shelby County, TN. I need to put him in the equivalent in DeSoto County. Found a house we love in Alexander's Ridge subdivision off of Goodman Road near Alexander Road. Please help with your best advice! What are the teachers like at Center Hill High School? Is there school bus service? What is the marching band like? Are there advanced honors courses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:59 PM

45 posts, read 109,226 times
Do you have children? That really should make up your mind.

Byhalia is a small town with not a lot happening just southeast of Olive Branch. Certainly nothing at all wrong with it, and it could be a great place to live. Marshall County schools are not as good as DeSoto County by a long shot, so if you have kids you need to be in DeSoto County.

Also within an easy commute are Holly Springs, a historic town where the houses are dirt cheap because of the school situation. If you are rural Southern Baptist, you should consider the Slayden area, about 25 miles east of Collierville, where there is a large Baptist church. They bought the old Agricultural High School and incorporated it into the church. Of course, if you aren't Baptist, run like a scalded dog.

You really need to spend a couple of days in the area. Barton, Byhalia, Holly Springs, Mt. Pleasant and Slayden are all quite different areas, with a different feel. Visit them and see for yourself. Or if you want a more urban area, or schools are an issue, head for DeSoto County and the Lewisburg School District.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalCats View Post
Does anybody know anything about Alexander's Ridge subdivision in Olive Branch? What about Center Hill High School? My son is currently attending a top 10 rated public school in Shelby County, TN. I need to put him in the equivalent in DeSoto County. Found a house we love in Alexander's Ridge subdivision off of Goodman Road near Alexander Road. Please help with your best advice! What are the teachers like at Center Hill High School? Is there school bus service? What is the marching band like? Are there advanced honors courses?
I'd "like" the OBPD on Facebook. They post daily updates on arrests and other information. You can also ask the same on their wall and others that live in the subdivision and the area will probably answer you. It's a very friendly bunch of people.

CHHS - Center Hill High School | PowerIT

I assume there is bus service. I live less than 2 miles for DCHS and a bus comes through here.

Band - I think DCHS has the best band. I've read about them in the paper winning state competitions.

Honors classes - I would assume they are the same across the county. Maybe the school's site will answer that.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 4,914 times
What about living in Plantation Country Club area? Is it safe? Property values remaining good? Any issues with crime, etc?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:13 AM

I don't read all of the OBPD updates on Facebook but the majority of the issues are in the apartment complexes, manufactured housing communities (trailer parks) and neighborhoods closer to State Line Road.

That doesn't mean that there isn't crime in any other neighborhoods. If you lock your doors (home and car) to stop the petty crimes of opportunity then there is very little chance you will become a victim of a crime while living in this area.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,679 times
Could you please advice me to find a good place to live and good elementary and midle school in the area of chelby county, tn

thanks

Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelbycounty View Post
Could you please advice me to find a good place to live and good elementary and midle school in the area of chelby county, tn

thanks
Do you mean Shelby county?

We covered most of the places already. Where will you be working in Memphis? Downtown, then you probably want easy access to I-55 (Southaven). FedEx HQ? Then you want easy access to Hacks Cross (that's in Olive Branch).

Old 06-24-2011, 08:31 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I am also for Olive Branch. My son will start kindergarten at Center Hill elementary this fall! We are really excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi