Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 PM

200 posts, read 899,992 times

Advertisements

I am moving out of Southern CA and want to move to a low cost state with low taxes and insurance rates. I will need to secure employment so area where that is possible is important.

Also would buy a house 150=185 is that possible and what would I get.

If you could live anywhere in those states where would it be and which state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM

24 posts, read 159,575 times
We too are looking to retire from SoCal to either MS or AL and we have found AL, especially the Huntsville area, to be both less expensive and better job opportunities (if want PT jobs later) than MS. You'll generally find that MS has higher car taxes and property taxes. Home prices are similar but vary by area. If you are looking at MS, I have heard that Hattiesburg is a fairly decent place to live, but you will find alot of different opinions on this board about that.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 AM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,645,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVH View Post
I am moving out of Southern CA and want to move to a low cost state with low taxes and insurance rates. I will need to secure employment so area where that is possible is important.

Also would buy a house 150=185 is that possible and what would I get.

If you could live anywhere in those states where would it be and which state?
What type of employment will you need? Some jobs are easier to find than others.
Do you want to live on the coast, rural, city? How important is your social life?
What do you like to do and what do you need to do?
Do you need schools for children?
The house will not be a problem. I know you can find something nice in MS or Alabama in that range. Hang out in all 3 forums. Find a city that sounds right to you. Ultimately you will have to visit to make sure, so plan on traveling.
Try searching MLS websites like the realtor or homes ones. use City Data to check crime and make up of each city that interests you. I went through the search myself 2 years ago. I went from 14 possible states and picked Mississippi. Mainly I wanted a certain lifestyle and property.

Good Luck

Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogirl View Post
We too are looking to retire from SoCal to either MS or AL and we have found AL, especially the Huntsville area, to be both less expensive and better job opportunities (if want PT jobs later) than MS. You'll generally find that MS has higher car taxes and property taxes.
While it is true that job opportunities in Huntsville are much, much better than anywhere in MS, I don't think that it is necessarily "less expensive" than Mississippi. While it is true that car tags and property taxes are a little more in MS (still quite low), Alabama's sales tax is 2-3 cents higher, depending on where you live. Income taxes are similar.

The main thing about Huntsville is that the booming economy is racheting up housing and land prices. As a result of the last base closure process, there are still 5000-7000 good paying federal and contractor jobs to be moved to Huntsville in the next 3 years. And I think you will find property taxes creeping up in that area soon to pay for all the new infrastructure necessary to keep up with the boom.

That being said, I would gladly live in Huntsville again, given the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: