U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:42 PM

739 posts, read 1,883,088 times

Advertisements

We visited Mississippi for the first time this summer. We're an interracial couple and our biggest concern was race. We really loved Mississippi, especially the people, and would say we were treated very well everyplace we went. It's not the 1950's anymore, MS has moved into modern times, and IMHO has progressed more racially than has rural New England where we're from.

We did not experience culture shock, at least as visitors. A Starbucks or a strip mall in Hattiesburg isn't any different from a Starbucks or a strip mall in Suburban Massachusetts. What was truly shocking was the City of Jackson. We really were not prepared for what we saw and how things are there.

I happen to know for a fact that a lot of really good people live in Jackson, and I won't malign them, or their place. But to describe Jackson as a viable city, or Fondren as a relatively progressive or artsy place, as most people would understand the meaning of those words, is either deluded, wishful thinking or very dishonest.

I've lived in third world countries and a war zone so I'm not easily rattled. Jackson is scary. The streets are deserted of people even mid-day, on a weekday, in perfect weather, even around all the new construction area where the art museum is. We drove all the areas of Jackson, around Fondren, Belhaven, West & South Jackson, around JSU, and the length of Gallatin.

I'm very sorry, I wouldn't post this, but we were misled by posters on this an another site. Good people, yes, but Jackson is seriously depressed and an obviously dangerous place to be an outsider not in the know. People need to know that beforehand. It was heartbreaking - and the good people of Jackson surely deserve better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 08:01 AM

21 posts, read 52,955 times
Hi Mississippienne, Must be something in the food and/or water! It is very different than where I was raised, Bronx, NY or where I have previously called home, San Francisco and now NJ. I am so ready for a change. Everyone "warns" me about heading south. Do they mean I am an outsider or something? :-)
If they are talking about the pace, I am all for slowing down. What's they hurry? We're all headin' to the same place, aren't we? take care, MM

Old 09-06-2008, 08:14 AM

21 posts, read 52,955 times
Hi Wiildufauve, I saw/read your post after my last post. Oh my, that is a shame. I understand what your a relating. It is all relative-to say an area has progressed or is moving in another direction is positive; but it sounds like Jackson really isn't there yet! I took my kids to Charleston, SC this summer.
I used to be a Flight Attendant and Charleston for me was a home away from home. That being said, at the time 25 yrs ago--it too was considered dangerous. We were warned all the time about going out and remaining watchful.
Fast forward to this summer, I could recognize areas from the past but generally all those dangerous areas where gone and replaced with numerous shops, cafes etc. And I dont mean little mom and pop places I mean very hi-end designer oriented stores! Back then--there was always the Citadel and various colleges in area but I never remember seeing so people out on the streets in the past....there may have been a really cool shop and nothing for blocks and blocks. Now it is really quite a bustling beautiful city. ..as I think back the potential was there; but never any people. So perhaps in time Jackson will indeed be transformed. It takes time and energy and suddenly the shift is made. It is sad that we have ignored that part of the US until Katrina hit. So it'll take time to make change but it can happen. take care, MM

Old 09-06-2008, 08:15 AM

356 posts, read 1,217,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
We visited Mississippi for the first time this summer. We're an interracial couple and our biggest concern was race. We really loved Mississippi, especially the people, and would say we were treated very well everyplace we went. It's not the 1950's anymore, MS has moved into modern times, and IMHO has progressed more racially than has rural New England where we're from.

We did not experience culture shock, at least as visitors. A Starbucks or a strip mall in Hattiesburg isn't any different from a Starbucks or a strip mall in Suburban Massachusetts. What was truly shocking was the City of Jackson. We really were not prepared for what we saw and how things are there.

I happen to know for a fact that a lot of really good people live in Jackson, and I won't malign them, or their place. But to describe Jackson as a viable city, or Fondren as a relatively progressive or artsy place, as most people would understand the meaning of those words, is either deluded, wishful thinking or very dishonest.

I've lived in third world countries and a war zone so I'm not easily rattled. Jackson is scary. The streets are deserted of people even mid-day, on a weekday, in perfect weather, even around all the new construction area where the art museum is. We drove all the areas of Jackson, around Fondren, Belhaven, West & South Jackson, around JSU, and the length of Gallatin.

I'm very sorry, I wouldn't post this, but we were misled by posters on this an another site. Good people, yes, but Jackson is seriously depressed and an obviously dangerous place to be an outsider not in the know. People need to know that beforehand. It was heartbreaking - and the good people of Jackson surely deserve better.
Unfortunately, this is what I keep trying to say on here. I lived in Jackson for years and it was a thriving city back then. Now I wouldn't feel safe living anywhere in the city. I don['t think it's going to get better anytime soon either. Crime is awful and the public schools are awful. They just hired a new school superintendent. The old one was sued by a school principal for sexual harassment (settled out of court), but instead of firing him, they kept him on as a "paid consultant" and will be paying him $200,000 for the next year. They can't pay the teachers decent salaries though.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,547 times
Hi, if you give Mississippi a chance you will find it to be a wonderful place to live and nice area to raise a family. It is truely a well kept secret. We have a mild but tropical climate, low taxes, lots of churches and many friendly people. Music and art is a way of life here. Canton is an old and quaint small town that seems to have retained the look of a 1950s town. Not to worry, Madison and Jackson are just down the road and offer any and all of your needs. The Canton school public school district is not currently rated the best but it does have a good private academy. If you move 6 miles south to Gluckstat or Madison the schools are wonderful. That might be a consideration for you. Don't let Hollywood's picture of Mississippi sway you..... it's nothing like they picture it. Come on down...you'll be treated like family.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:47 PM

12,249 posts, read 18,005,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painting by janelle View Post
Hi, if you give Mississippi a chance you will find it to be a wonderful place to live and nice area to raise a family. It is truely a well kept secret. We have a mild but tropical climate, low taxes, lots of churches and many friendly people. Music and art is a way of life here. Canton is an old and quaint small town that seems to have retained the look of a 1950s town. Not to worry, Madison and Jackson are just down the road and offer any and all of your needs. The Canton school public school district is not currently rated the best but it does have a good private academy. If you move 6 miles south to Gluckstat or Madison the schools are wonderful. That might be a consideration for you. Don't let Hollywood's picture of Mississippi sway you..... it's nothing like they picture it. Come on down...you'll be treated like family.
THe thread is 2 years old......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or