U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 22,901 times

Advertisements

My family and I live in detroit,MI and My wife is being offered a position canton,MS... I have no clue as to what MS is like or if it is a good place for us to relocate...I have issues because the possible impending culture shock from city to country...etc....also we have 3 kids and i am not to fond of the possible move but $$$ talks...I am a teacher so i should have no problem finding a job but what are the public school systems like???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 05:14 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,614,144 times
Sorry you haven't gotten any info yet. Canton area anyone?? I only know broad generic info, but if you are coming from Detroit to Canton--is it for the Nissan plant? You would have a choice of areas to live including Madison and Brandon, Jackson suburbs, that I have heard good things about. You will have some culture shock but others, including myself, have survived it. I came from Philadelphia. I think there is every chance you will enjoy the warm winters, the friendly people, and the affordable housing. You can find most anything you want in the Jackson area and though crime would be a concern in the city itself, there are good places around. I imagine the same is true of Detroit??

Old 01-22-2007, 05:27 PM

22 posts, read 143,949 times
Madison and Ridgeland would be a better choice I think. The commute from Brandon might get old. I live in Ridgeland. I moved here from Flowood and I love it.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 22,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Sorry you haven't gotten any info yet. Canton area anyone?? I only know broad generic info, but if you are coming from Detroit to Canton--is it for the Nissan plant? You would have a choice of areas to live including Madison and Brandon, Jackson suburbs, that I have heard good things about. You will have some culture shock but others, including myself, have survived it. I came from Philadelphia. I think there is every chance you will enjoy the warm winters, the friendly people, and the affordable housing. You can find most anything you want in the Jackson area and though crime would be a concern in the city itself, there are good places around. I imagine the same is true of Detroit??
Yes it is for the Nissan Plant...I primarily wanted to know about the public school system since i am a teacher, would they pay more in jackson compared to other districts...Also what are property taxes,car insurance, utilities like??? just curious because we pay so much living here in Detroit...

Old 01-23-2007, 07:59 AM

Go to www.mde.k12.ms.us to get info about teaching positions. You can also go to a search engine and type in HInds County, Madison county, and Rankin county school districts for more info. Taxes in Hinds are KILLER! A car tag might cost $500 in Madison or Rankin Counties and cost $1500 in Hinds. Property taxes are higher in Hinds too. Utilities are about the same for all 3 counties. I live in a 2 story townhouse and I pay a little over $100 for electricity, about $25 for water, and $125 for a cable/DSL/phone bundle.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 11,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTARHIT View Post
Go to www.mde.k12.ms.us to get info about teaching positions. You can also go to a search engine and type in HInds County, Madison county, and Rankin county school districts for more info. Taxes in Hinds are KILLER! A car tag might cost $500 in Madison or Rankin Counties and cost $1500 in Hinds. Property taxes are higher in Hinds too. Utilities are about the same for all 3 counties. I live in a 2 story townhouse and I pay a little over $100 for electricity, about $25 for water, and $125 for a cable/DSL/phone bundle.
Actually, I live in Hinds County and taxes really aren't that bad at all. I think it my be the city of Jackson taxes you are thinking about.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:38 PM

It must be. I have a friend that lives in Byram and another in Terry. They moved out of the city because of taxes.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:51 AM

11 posts, read 54,602 times
Hi,

I am a public school teacher in the Jackson Public Schools. Jackson Public School District pays teachers the most in the area and that is probably going to be a concern considering you are leaving Michigan to teach in Mississippi....#49 in teacher pay. There is hope though!!! I love teaching in Jackson Public Schools. My husband and I live in Terry and I teach in South Jackson..you could live in any of the suburbs and teach in a Jackson school that is not TOO far from home. Check with the Jackson Public School website for the teacher pay scale. There are always job openings and I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble getting a job.

Laura

Old 02-02-2007, 09:15 AM
BB1

3 posts, read 21,605 times
I live in Northern MS. If you are planning on moving to the Canton area, I would suggest looking at the Madison area, just minutes south of Canton. You'll find a larger variety of housing options, better schools (Madison Central) and it's conveniently located on the north side of the capitol city, Jackson. Madison is close to Canton, and it's also near a large amount of very nice shopping in nearby Ridgeland. I've traveled this country all over, including New England, and you will find as many great things in the area you're considering as any other region......Good Luck & welcome home to MS!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 10,138 times
Default rankin

rankin co schools are great. canton is an ok area w/ a nice academy, but canton public school district is a critical needs area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or