U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:01 AM

3 posts, read 15,668 times

Advertisements

I honestly do not think it would be much of a problem for you to move here. I live in Flowood, Mississippi and I am not too far from Clinton. Really, I do not care who people marry or have a relationship with. If you are in love, then that is all that matters. You will find all sorts of different people here. Some may not accept it, and others will and are probley in the same situation as you. Please, if you want to move here, then by all means come on down. There are many people here who are extemley generous and have open minds. Do not have what you have heard or seen about Mississippi to control your actions. I really do think people would understand. I do think you will find the education system in Clinton to meet your approval. I personally think that the high school is a good place to get an education. This is a great place to live and I think you would be happy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM

246 posts, read 921,190 times
from what I have seen and heard from a gay close family member who has lived in the south and visited for long stays in MS, you may actually get a long better as a lesbian couple than say a male homosexual couple would. Strange as it may seem, but as my relative told me, it seems that if the lesbian couple is at least womanly in appearance and action, they have a better chance of getting the bad treatment than a male homosexual couple as to a lot of people, they come off as very feminine and that draws bad attention.

Was an eye opener to hear that from him, but I could see it making sense in an odd way.

As for you guys getting married and all prior to moving, best of luck to you on that. Not sure if it will matter any in MS, as whoever is not the biological parent is pretty much treated like a stranger unless there is some specific legal stuff setup, or, an adoption was done.

Biloxi would be a pretty good choice for an area to live.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:51 AM

246 posts, read 921,190 times
sorry meant good treatment here:

"they have a better chance of getting the bad treatment"

Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 AM

658 posts, read 649,294 times
Your post title gave me such a belly laugh. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 AM

340 posts, read 1,063,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnbu View Post
California is currently a state that recognizes gay marriage. However, although we've been together for a bit over 8 years, we have not yet married. That said, we are likely to prior to moving.

Regards,

Kvnbu
Actually, MS voted a couple of years ago to only recognize heterosexual marriage. So, the marriage wouldn't be recognized there.

Not an opinion, just info.

And how you will be treated really depends on your neighbors, just like it would anyplace else, as you already mentioned. Having been born and raised on the MS Gulf Coast, interracial couples were pretty commonplace with the military bases nearby. Can't speak for Clinton.

I commend your partner for wanting to care for her elderly parents. There aren't many who do these days. Hope all goes well for you.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,464 times
Default Mississippi HeArts Against AIDS

I have been a long time resident of Mississippi (30 years). I grew up in the north and moved to Mississippi as a teenager. My brother was gay and he was tormented to the point of being sent to relatives in the north to live. This was 1979. Mississippi gets a really bad rap for everything. There are still many racist people but as long as you find a niche of like minded people Mississippians can be very loving dedicated people. I belong to an organization called Mississippi HeArts Against AIDS. We have an annual fundraiser every year around Valentines to raise monies for people living with HIV/AIDS. I have been a member of this organization for over 10 years. You find this group of people very loving, supportive and fun. We are always looking for new people to become committee members. I don't know when you're planning on moving but I can give you the information you need if you are interested. I think it would be a great way for you to feel comfortable in a very new enviroment. I lived in Madison for 19 years until just this week. I'm not sure how old your child is but the Madison County School system has a nationwide ranking of 9 out of 10 as opposed to MS overall having a 5. Both of my sons attended Madison schools all their life. When my 24 yr old was in high school he had interracial couples and gay and lesbian couples. They even held a wedding for a lesbian couple in their class...lol.. My best friends are a black woman and a gay man and I have dated interracially for many years with no problems. Finding a community that fits your lifestyle is what will work best in Mississippi. Please look at our website mississippihearts.org. I would be willing to give you any more information or insight if you would like to email me. I have family and friends all over the Jackson metro area so am familiar with most of it. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:30 PM

36 posts, read 138,558 times
I would say you are a little crazy yes. You will probably have a hard time fitting in. We don't lynch people in the south anymore, so no worries.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,744 times
Regardless of world issues please be sure you brace your children for the real world. I'm in a heterosexual marriage (near 20 years) - we raised our 2 boys in the same town for 11 years. You would think a white family - married parents, etc would be left alone. No, they will find something to torment them about. I remember being concerned growing up about getting too close to one of my best friends - who was a black male. I worried about how children in a multi-race home would be treated. Due to fear - I've lost track of a great friend. Honestly, now that I have one in high school & one in middle school, I feel I can honestly tell you, the best thing for your children is to be given a lot of love. They need to know their place in the home matters & if you decide to move, watch their every move. The child I thought would adjust quickly, I about lost and the one I thought would hate me forever, well, he has friends running out of his ears. WHICH, I might add, is the complete opposite from where we'd lived. So - I think you will find culture issues EVERYWHERE...teasing, etc will be everywhere - they need as much stability as possible. I wish you luck whatever you decide. For the record, my 15 yr old white son has come home & said, "Mom, there are some really pretty black girls. I think some are prettier than the white. Would you & Dad ever let me date a black girl?" His dad & I told him, stick with a girl with your similar values and morals and race will become invisible. I personally wouldn't care - but I know I may not represent all southerners, even though I was born & raised a southerner, left & returned to the south!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,793,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnbu View Post
Hey All,

I've been reading the posts from MS with great interest for the past month or so, as my partner and I are seriously considering moving to Clinton, MS to be closer to my partners family. Her parents are getting older, and she feels the need to be nearer to them. As we both put a strong value on family, we're putting the house on the market, and moving once it sells.

I'm not completely ignorant to MS, I visited there once and thought it was one of the most beautiful states that I had ever seen. However, I am getting a bit nervous regarding what other folks have told me, and about some of the stories I've been reading in the Clarion Ledger, the reported race relations (she's white, I'm black), what rights we'll be losing as a couple, how folks will treat our kid, and what feels like a million other thoughts that pass through my head as I'm trying to fall asleep.

I don't mean to be offensive, I'm just looking for some direction/advice/information. Any would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

kvnbu
I think you should be able to move wherever, and only have to worry about neighborhoods, schools, job market etc. It is really a crime that in 2008 anyone should have to choose where they move due to race or sexual preference.
I wish your family the best, no matter where you make your home.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 16,048 times
Hey Guys!

I haven't written in quite a while - too busy watching our house decrease in value. However, no matter. We're going to rent it out and make the move to MS right after Christmas. I wanted to take a minute and thank all of you for being such a help and taking time out of your day to get back to us. Some of you even said that we should look you up! It's meant a lot, and I guess I'll see you all out there.

Warmest regards,

kvnbu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or