U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:12 AM

5,080 posts, read 8,057,543 times

Advertisements

CONGRATS! and good luck on your move, I wish you all the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 11:37 AM

41 posts, read 112,585 times
I really wish you the best of luck.

Practically speaking, please be sure to see a lawyer BEFORE moving here. MS does not recognize gay marriage, civil unions, or domestic partnerships (even from other states/they're not offered here) or allow 2nd parent adoptions of the same sex (a de facto anti-LGBT adoption law). You will need some explicit language in your will. Make sure to get a living will as well - outlining end-of-life decisions, who can make them, see you at the hospital, et cetera.

I grew up in Jackson, am a lesbian, and have not lived there since high school, although I visit my family a few times a year. One of my friends (also grew up in Jackson; now she also lives out of state) and her partner come down to MS every year or two to see family members. They literally walk around with their legal paperwork in their purses/bags. If they were to get in a car accident, for example, my friend has heard stories and is truly worried that she might be prohibited from even seeing, let alone making medical decisions, for her partner (or vice versa). Two of the three major hospitals in the area are religious based (Baptist and St. Dominic's) making her particularly more concerned.

Also, PLEASE invest some quality time in talking with your child about this move. A few years ago my then-girlfriend and I went down to MS to see my family for some holidays. We were walking through the parking lot of Kroger's to go grocery shopping for my mother when a group of women and children (they looked Pentecostal by their hair/outfits) started staring at us. My girlfriend, who was NOT from the South, was kind of confused by what was going down, turned to me whispered, "Who are those people? Do you know them or something?" I turned to her, kissed her cheek, and said "Nope!"

Well, you would have thought "the Devil" had spawned us there in the Kroger parking lot. The women started SCREAMING at the top of their lungs, "Not in front of the children! The devil ... (incoherent shouting about the Devil, something about Jesus, fiery hells, and eternal damnation or something like that). We very quickly walked into the Kroger (they were all congregating outside).

So. Take my experience for what it's worth. Just one personal experience.

More than anything, be prepared!

Hope it works out for you.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 PM

948 posts, read 3,417,271 times
How many of you people here are black vs white? Gay vs Hetero?
The reason I ask is because Many of those of you who has nothing bad to say about Mississippi as far as race or sexual origin goes. I just moved to Memphis, TN so I live only a few miles from MS border. I go there almost every day because my child's babysitter lives there. I am white and married to a white man so obviously we have never seen nor heard any racist remarks. But I can't speak for a black person or a gay person.

Last edited by redwine; 12-14-2008 at 08:40 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 AM
NWS

721 posts, read 1,483,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
...I am white and married to a white man so obviously we have never seen nor heard any racist remarks....
I think that is great Redwine. If you think about it most racist remarks are usually said when the people of that race are not around.
Many Whites and Blacks tend to use more "colorful" language when the other is not around
if that is what they are into.
I'm Black/Latin mix in my early 40's. I lived in New York City most of my life.
I moved to Raymond, Ms about 8 months ago. My neighborhood is about 90%
white. I have been treated warmly by all of my neighbors. No for sale signs have gone up yet :-)
I don't feel I would be treated as warmly if I moved into an area like this back in NYC.
I haven't traveled Mississippi from corner to corner. I wasn't raised here, so I can't say what it would have been like growing up during
those most difficult years.
I think if you search deep enough in any state you will find some form of racial issue but coming from a very diverse place I feel Mississippi is doing just fine.
I could live anywhere in the USA I wanted. I chose Mississippi.
I have no regrets.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,617 times
University towns- Oxford, Starksville & Hattiesburg might be most friendly
economy isn't great here, if you'd be looking for a job
(unless you're an RN or other skilled professional)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or