Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:47 PM

6 posts, read 12,984 times

Advertisements

I need some honest words and local insight from folks who are familiar with Mississippi. I have lived in Oregon all my life and want to know what to expect if I let him rope me into moving. I visited the southern area last year and it was way too hot. I heard that the nothern area does not get as warm? We have been looking in the Tupelo area, like Booneville or something. I would like someplace that is rural but yet still has ties to a larger city. Any suggestions? Does any area see snow? What about tornados?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 06:59 AM

22 posts, read 155,727 times
I am from the Tupelo area originally. Due to the narrow job market in that part of the state, I have relocated to central Mississippi. Tupelo/Saltillo/Baldwyn/Booneville would be excellent choices. The closest big city is Memphis, TN which is roughly 2 hours away. There are GREAT schools in Tupelo, Saltillo, and Booneville. Of course, if you decide against North Mississippi, Central Mississippi is another great choice. Jackson, MS is the state capital and there are very nice communities outside the city that still offer that country feel with all the modern convenience of a bigger city. I hope this helps.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:20 AM

275 posts, read 1,122,772 times
If you move to coast look for 99% Humidity.....
But oregon is foggy but not as hot.
jackson is big, Canton had Nissan plant, doing well...
just my $02

Old 01-30-2007, 11:58 AM

11 posts, read 60,441 times
You will be HOT...EVERYWHERE, north, south, east, or west! Snow.....almost never even in northern Mississippi....Tornados, not any more than any other state..... but....the PEOPLE here are wonderful and there's always air conditioning!

Laura

Old 01-31-2007, 11:41 PM

6 posts, read 12,984 times
Thanks for the info guys. Does the heat calm down between October - May? Or should I throw my sweaters out? Thanks again for your input!

Old 02-01-2007, 06:50 AM

11 posts, read 60,441 times
You'll want to keep your sweaters. We have short, WET winters so the damp coolnes can get to you. It usually starts to cool off sometime in November with cold snaps before and fluctuates ALOT....one day the high will be 43...the next day 75....you never know what you're going to get so it always helps to be prepared. The people here are GREAT though. You'll make friends fast!

Laura

Old 02-10-2007, 11:53 AM

61 posts, read 276,229 times
Post Mississippi - Weather

All of Mississippi is hot and humid, for the summers, and winters are mild and humid, which can make the tempertures in the 30's feel more like 20's. I am from Wisconsin originally and I thought I would never see the day I woudl need to buy a winter jacket, but that has happened. Why? Because of the high humidity levels it makes it feel even colder than what it is, and the chill gets deep into the bones. I do admit, I enjoy the humidity to the point I do not get my monthly nose bleeds from the dry winters from up north. Summer temps can be as hot, so hot that warnings do come out for older people, very young peple, and those with breathing conditions. I hate summer time in Mississippi and I am 11 miles south of the Tennessee border. Winter isn't as long as up north, but the warmer temps do remain. I can remember a few years back during late February sitting outside and getting sunburned. I don't know how I made it though band camp in high schoool. Do not throw your sweaters away, you will need them. My first few years here I did not need them, but I have in the recent years. As far as snow, very rarely we get snow, but the past week, we got a little, nothing stuck to the roads, but the schools closed. My first winter we got ice, now that is a pain. The ice snapped powerlines, and caused electricty to be out in some areas as much as a month.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-05-2008 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: removed signature block

Old 02-12-2007, 08:05 AM

227 posts, read 290,826 times
I think Tupelo would be a good choice. Decent size town with amenities, not too far from Memphis. Excellent schools. You can be rural in 15 minutes...
Weather: Dont even think about escaping heat anywhere in the state. Tornadoes are common place in MS and that part of the state. And to correct a previous post, there are probably more tornadoes in MS than most places. Not all, but most. This is something you just deal with when it happens.
http://www.tornadochaser.net/images/frequency.jpg
http://www.tornadochaser.net/images/frequency.gif

Old 02-17-2007, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,701 times
I am from Memphis, Tn, looking to move into a condominum for rent in Southaven, MS - Desoto County, closest to FedEx (been working there for 10 yrs). Does anyone know of a nice condo for rent, preschool ( I have a three yr. old daughter), and church?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,063 times
Default North Mississippi

Tupelo is a wonderful town depending on how you are. The city has some of the highest morality you will ever see. This is a good thing in my opinion. If you are looking for snow, you are just kinda out of luck. Tupelo gets some but it usually melts the second it hits the ground. Also, Mississippi is hot everywhere. You get accustomed to it though. I personally enjoy the hot climate. If you decide to move to Tupelo it isnt that bad but you will have to enjoy small town life. South Mississippi is very developed and on the up and up but north mississippi is slow in alot of areas, especially development but it has north mississippi has a wonderful geography and its very peaceful and picturesque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi