U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:41 PM

17,341 posts, read 35,197,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post

But when I travelled to MS It was kinda a culture shock, I never knew there were places that looks so under developed or how it there was no structure or progressiveness.
I'm just curious, by "under developed" do you mean rural ? If so, there are many states that fit that description, like Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, etc.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,561,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm just curious, by "under developed" do you mean rural ? If so, there are many states that fit that description, like Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, etc.
No I meant like behind in the times, not up to date like NY or PA. I live in a rural part of Scotland but its not run down or anything. Tupelo, Hernando and Oxford are the only places that I enjoyed visiting, there seemed to be more to do in these towns. They were very quaint and beautiful.

I believe what your saying about WY, KS, NE. Never been to to the Midwest but i'd like to visit someday. Doubt I'm missing much in WY, KS and NE though.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:02 AM

783 posts, read 2,043,425 times
I lived a few years in upstate NY one winter

I can tell you there are parts of NY just as rural and (ahem) behind the times as many places in the south. People have a tendency to think of NY as NYC and it's just not like that - between those cities are miles and miles of interstate, cows, and dairies.

So far as racism... I was born in Michigan and lived here until my late teens. Its been more than twenty years since I left and one of the things I hate most about going up there for visits is all the venom spewed by white folk toward black folk... well, or arab folks now too, it seems. I've lived from L.A. to NY and I've seen racism everywhere, and honestly it seems the least pervasive and toxic here in Mississippi of any place I've lived. LA might have been second best in that regard, but once you get out of the city and into places like Burbank (much less the REALLY rural areas) you'll find plenty of folks whispering to one another at the site of an interracial couple.

The worse part is the religious zeal. In many ways Mississippi is "behind" I believe it leads on this front. The wild man of tupelo now seems more famous than our great George Ohr, or even Tennessee Williams or William Faulkner. With the entire nation now more religious than ever, it seems every private school in the state now refers to itself as a "Christian" academy. Sad when one considers we're sending so many boys into harms way to help folks living in another country where the schools are all filled with religion and the often toxic ideals that come with such a narrowly confined educational system.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,768 times
Mississippi a dry state? Have you not heard of Dr Tiscnor's (spelling?) Mouthwash? 75% alcohol I believe.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:06 AM

948 posts, read 3,510,844 times
I just bought a six pack beer , Sam Adams, and a six pack of Bacardi in Horn Lake MS

Old 02-14-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
I lived a few years in upstate NY one winter

I can tell you there are parts of NY just as rural and (ahem) behind the times as many places in the south. People have a tendency to think of NY as NYC and it's just not like that - between those cities are miles and miles of interstate, cows, and dairies.

So far as racism... I was born in Michigan and lived here until my late teens. Its been more than twenty years since I left and one of the things I hate most about going up there for visits is all the venom spewed by white folk toward black folk... well, or arab folks now too, it seems. I've lived from L.A. to NY and I've seen racism everywhere, and honestly it seems the least pervasive and toxic here in Mississippi of any place I've lived. LA might have been second best in that regard, but once you get out of the city and into places like Burbank (much less the REALLY rural areas) you'll find plenty of folks whispering to one another at the site of an interracial couple.

The worse part is the religious zeal. In many ways Mississippi is "behind" I believe it leads on this front. The wild man of tupelo now seems more famous than our great George Ohr, or even Tennessee Williams or William Faulkner. With the entire nation now more religious than ever, it seems every private school in the state now refers to itself as a "Christian" academy. Sad when one considers we're sending so many boys into harms way to help folks living in another country where the schools are all filled with religion and the often toxic ideals that come with such a narrowly confined educational system.
I was in Upstate NY and it didn't remind me of MS at all.

Compared to where I come from MS is way behind. People are very reserved and not very conversational compared to us. Found that quite strange and hard to keep making conversation/effort.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:09 AM

767 posts, read 2,092,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Wilson View Post
and you've been showing
that for over A MONTH now with a constant stream of RUDE, coarse
and BLUNT insults about Missisippi and its people.

Do a search on Scotslass and you will see see has been doing it a lot longer than a month. Almost every thread she gets involved in gets locked.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Do a search on Scotslass and you will see see has been doing it a lot longer than a month. Almost every thread she gets involved in gets locked.
Exaggeration. I'm hardly on the MS forum and you know that.

Raking up the past isn't going to solve things anyway. I think you just like to cause trouble i really belive that.

So I can't show honesty here, i've already said I loved MS. But it HAS problems. I won't deny that. We must cover up the bad and to hell with the rest? If you would take the time to notice you would see that Claude is just as bad or worse. 2 wrongs don't make a right. But because shes in MS thats ok though isn't it.

DOUBLE STANDARDS!

Moderator cut: vulgar language removed

Quote:
Why is it strange that they DETECT A SNOB and don't want to
talk to your smarmy little self?
For expressing honesty makes you a snob now?

Quote:
Honestly, your posts about MS are so narrow-minded, stereotypical
and MEAN-spirited.
Oh really? Have you actually stopped and looked at your own posting?

Quote:
And to think a moderator had the gall to get mad at me for calling you
on the carpet.
Because your rude and insulting.

Quote:
And you say that the people of Mississippi are "Behind"---no darling,
you're the ARSE to use a Scottish term, and you've been showing
that for over A MONTH now with a constant stream of RUDE, coarse
and BLUNT insults about Missisippi and its people.
Old fasioned/behind yes alot of them are. Stuck in their way. MS is popular with retirees.

You don't really have alot going to resort to person attacks...hmmm charming.

Quote:
am from California and I LOVE Missy.
Good for you.

Quote:
I have experienced NONE of what you claim is the standard
condition of Missy.
Glad to hear it.

Quote:
I've also been to Scotland and it's a BORE like none other.

Jesus Christ would NEVER live there.
Neither would a smart prostitute.
Not going to answer that.

Quote:
I mean one would literally turn to stone in Scotland from all the hideous
non-flavorful food, the lack of physical beauty in the people's OPAQUE
paleness, the frigidly cold yet beautiful countryside and towns that are
quite nice to look at for...about a day...until BOREDOM ices over one's
palette and freezes up the imagination.
Now thats comedy

Quote:
Having porridge, over-salted Clam Chowder and a bunch of bag pipes
and men in skirts don't make you better than anyone else, MY LOVE.
Yeah thats all we have to our culture...

Quote:
Nobody's freezing in Mississippi,
the food is absolutely delicious
and MOST of the folks in Missy...
got along great before you arrived
and will continue to do so after you've
"forwarded" yourself to the next
location.
Hmm they had snow last time i called my in laws...
Quote:
I wish you blessings, love and a change
of heart---not about Missy--but about
your own responsibility for entertaining and
coloring your days.
Sure you do, because your a good christian right? Likely story.

Quote:
I love the SOUTH
So do I when its not cold or too hot.

My posting

Quote:
I have a big fear of spiders but i can handle reptiles, not much of a problem to me.

If hurricanes didn't happen often in the MS gulf coast i'd definately like to live there. Quieter than FL and cheaper no?

I've heard its beautiful down there.
Quote:
Is MS different from the rest of the South, like i've been to SC and it was fab. You would never run out of things to do and there were alot of ammenities there, malls, stores, restaurants, parks, lakes etc. I liked that. I also never seemed to see alot of run down, non progressive areas. It was steeped in southern charm but was modern if that makes sense.

I've heard the Delta part of MS is very poor and probably like nothing i've ever seen before so i'd probably avoid that area. I have heard alot of positives about Oxford, Tupelo, Meridian, Hattiesburg, Starkville etc.

Is the cost of living, housing expensive in MS compared to the rest of the south? I know it is ALOT cheaper there than here by a long shot.

Quote:
Thanks very much for your information and advice, i am totally clueless lol.

I think I may stick to the Tupelo area or near there. I am drawn to the coast but i've just never had to deal with extreme weather before. The worst weather we've ever had here was 120 MPH winds and that was scary for us.

I was told as a RN i could earn $50,000 starting, is that a good wage to actually have a decent 3 bedroom house in a nice area? If my fiance gets this job he could earn up to $40,000 starting too.

We're praying that everything works out.
Incase its crossed your mind, people do change like i told you. I love MS but it is very different from here. But it has its own unique character which doesn't make it a bad place.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-15-2009 at 08:39 AM..

Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 AM

8,379 posts, read 19,328,304 times
Sorry, but I am closing this extremely hostile thread. Please try to be kinder to each other; it's not necessary to be so mean.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi