U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 04:02 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,284,441 times

Advertisements

Don't know about Morgan Quinto, but no...Mississippi is not "that bad". Much like anywhere else, it needs to be experienced. Lived there a large part of my life, loved it, still love it. You can only get so much info from a book or on the blue screen. Every state in the south and lots of other states have their "reputations" to cart around.

I would imagine this is why it's a diverse country and everyone chooses to live somewhere different, and that's the beauty of it all....but you'll never know if the South is a fit for you until you go there and see it first hand. It's not all plantations, and it's not all raging poverty...not at all. It's life in another place, regardless of what any poll or book or so-called expert tells you, just at a slower pace and with a lot more charm most of the time. It is distinctly different from Louisiana, another state you are interested in.

You have to understand - Mississippi, in my eyes, is a very well-mannered place...asking "is your home that bad?" just tends to raise the hackles on some very proud Mississippians. These are folks who would give you the shirt off their back, but don't talk down about their most beautiful and underappreciated state or you just might see them get a bit testy!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:15 PM

414 posts, read 1,467,492 times
I've never been to the great state of MS and what I learned about it was as a NY resident. My perception of MS is that the people are nice, laid back and proud of their southern heritage. The so-called bad perception I have of MS regards the weather. I have read that it's pretty humid down there and when it's hot in the summertime, the combination can be pretty steamy.

NY has hot, humid and unpleasant summers too so I don't know what makes MS worse, per se, except maybe just perception. MS is a large state and the weather probably varies accordingly. Not meaning to sound ignorant here but heck I am ignorant about MS. I saw this topic and was intrigued to see what the ensuing discussion was.

No mention of weather at all. :-)

Old 08-01-2008, 05:28 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,244,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
I've never been to the great state of MS and what I learned about it was as a NY resident. My perception of MS is that the people are nice, laid back and proud of their southern heritage. The so-called bad perception I have of MS regards the weather. I have read that it's pretty humid down there and when it's hot in the summertime, the combination can be pretty steamy.

NY has hot, humid and unpleasant summers too so I don't know what makes MS worse, per se, except maybe just perception. MS is a large state and the weather probably varies accordingly. Not meaning to sound ignorant here but heck I am ignorant about MS. I saw this topic and was intrigued to see what the ensuing discussion was.

Hm, you have a point. Yep, humidity is a major point with a lot of folks. Up in the Delta, between Memphis and Vicksburg, if it's not the humidity, then it's the skeeters. Little vultures soon as the sun goes down. Vicious. Blood-thirsty.

But the spring and the fall are my favorite times to visit, anymore. Beautiful flowers, blooms in the woods, along the interstates. Changing colors in the hills. Gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, too.

But don't let the mild temps fool you. I remember once upon a time, way back in 1966, 10" - that's ten inches - of snow fell one night. Gorgeous. Another incident I experienced first in Texas was the ice storm that fell across the Delta in 1994. Lots of misery there, for a long time. In fact, one can still see the effects of that storm, as long as you know what to look for.

Bitter cold when it happens, sweltering heat when that happens, and pleasant times in between.

As you, I don't know much more about NY state than what I've read. However, as my nephew and his family are moving at the moment to Albany, I'm sure I'll be in the middle of that state and its weather, sooner rather than later.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:33 PM

212 posts, read 830,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post

You will most likely have at least one bad season anywhere you live. I live in southeastern Nebraska, and I hate the winters here. We get a lot of snow, and it is so cold. I like a little bit of snow, but too much is a pain.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:29 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,612,910 times
I grew up in eastern PA with cold winters but not the severe storms (usually) found in upstate NY. When I first moved to south MS I literally got sick from the August heat. The heat and the cold air conditioning would make me nauseated and I would leave the store and go home. It was awful.

Now--some decades later--I don't mind the heat. Shows you how one can adjust. Here in the southern part of the state it never really gets very cold except for maybe two weeks in Dec. (We have had the odd snow--what we used to call an onion snow in Pa that melts in a few hours.)The heat is worst between July and early Sept. That is really not that long. I can go outside in the mornings and still be comfortable and most evenings get pleasant. Midday--inside! However, occasionally there are awful periods when the humidity and heat don't break over a 24 hr period but that is not common--kind of a "heat/humid" wave that lasts for a few days.

After the initial heat shock I now love not having to put on boots, scarf, or even a coat. I love the blue skies all year round and weather most of the yr. I can live with a few months of heat and even play golf in it early in the morning.

For those from colder climes--the heat and humidity of the South is not a problem because of the air conditioned car to the house to the restaurant to the office etc. The outdoor activities of gardening, biking, and walking become curtailed for the two and a half months of the heat--but even they are often doable early or in the evening.

Interestingly--though I never minded the cold of PA (used to it I guess) I now find the thought of going back to those gray cold winters and the heavy clothes, particularly wearing them inside a store where the heat is on and then taking them off and lugging them around-nearly unbearable.

It is obviously what one is used to.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:54 AM

51 posts, read 219,604 times
ok, to reiterate, I have lived in many states, including New York, New Hampshire, California and Arizona.
First, reasons for always coming in least livable does have a great deal to do with poverty rates. Let me say while I lived in upstate NY for the past 3 years I ran into a great deal of poverty in my daily life, most people barely getting by, worse off than most people in MS where I lived in over 20 years, the difference, VAST AMOUNTS OF MILLIONAIRES live in the same state. Now, living in the Adirondack mountains you may only see them in the Summer, their million dollar SUMMER homes are there, but rarely do you see them past August, they then pack up and go back to Boston, New York City, etc. My point, these very wealthy people fuel the economy by owning million dollar property while the majority of the townspeople live in crummy shacks, are underemployed, etc. but, they are there for the same reason many of the people live in MS, they were born, rasied, went to school there, etc. Now, I do see many wealthy people living in my same little MS town, but, not to the degrees that I saw on the Northeast, owning vast amounts of property but, rarely being in on the community or really caring about what goes on there. They only want to be there on weekends and in the Summer. In MS most people who are investing in land on the otherhand usually are involved with what goes on in the communities and you will see them and know them.
My point I guess, is that although MS comes in last a lot of it has to do with a numbers game, it takes many, many years to change. Education may come in last always, as does teen pregnancy, etc. but, mentality is passed down from generations, look at history and go figure why it takes so long to change. Many states in the NorthEast simply do not have a history of poor, enslaved people that they had to overcome, they were built on old wealth, etc. Likewise, they will more than likely always come in top, regardless of the fact that they have as many struggling, poor people as MS. But, the overall old money still pulls their states up in every poll. GET IT. But, if many of the struggling people in many of those thriving communities were able to live in MS for a year, doubt they would want to return to struggle in the cold again! Why do you think that I meet many people from NY, NJ, and all over the country in MS but, rarely in upstate NY did I meet people from MS or AL? Just my thoughts.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:32 AM

469 posts, read 2,553,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
You have to understand - Mississippi, in my eyes, is a very well-mannered place...asking "is your home that bad?" just tends to raise the hackles on some very proud Mississippians. These are folks who would give you the shirt off their back, but don't talk down about their most beautiful and underappreciated state or you just might see them get a bit testy!
And there, SAM, I think you've hit a nail on the head. I had an epiphany tonight that most of the people asking us these questions don't realize how it sounds to us. We're very proud. We may not have a damn thing, we may be one generation removed from sharecropping, but we're proud and it hurts when outsiders blurt out things like, "Why is MS so poor and dirty?" and "Will I be lynched if I so much as set a toe over the state line?" They genuinely don't mean to hurt us! They just don't see it!

It reminds me of when I lived in MD with my Yankee boyfriend, and we'd get into the worst fights because anytime he mocked anyone he thought was stupid, he'd put on this terrible "aw-shucks, hyuck hyuck" fake Southern accent and he couldn't understand why I found it offensive. He couldn't understand that I was proud to be a Southerner, that I didn't think of myself as a victim because I was born and raised in MS. And that's how a lot of these folks are. To us, it's like we invited them in our home and served them our best meal, and they sniffed at it and said, "Your house is so shabby. And this food is so poor!" But they just think its a terrible shame that we live in this inadequete dwelling. We're looking at the same thing but seeing two different things.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:56 AM

12 posts, read 33,612 times
i lived in mississippi for about 4 years in laurel/hattisburg and the people there are really nice and stuff but you want to talk about back stabbing people all over the place. haha thats the thing about ms, you'll talk to someone and they'll be nice and then go behind your back and talk about big time, also the "N" word is used very often and if you get offended by confederate flags stay very far away, plus everybody there has at least 1 broken car in there front yard, and don't even get me started on relationships all i can say is use protection or you just slept with all your friends and there friends. other than that its pretty nice place, really pretty. oh one last thing everything smells like snuff.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:15 AM

356 posts, read 1,215,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epedamia View Post
i lived in mississippi for about 4 years in laurel/hattisburg and the people there are really nice and stuff but you want to talk about back stabbing people all over the place. haha thats the thing about ms, you'll talk to someone and they'll be nice and then go behind your back and talk about big time, also the "N" word is used very often and if you get offended by confederate flags stay very far away, plus everybody there has at least 1 broken car in there front yard, and don't even get me started on relationships all i can say is use protection or you just slept with all your friends and there friends. other than that its pretty nice place, really pretty. oh one last thing everything smells like snuff.

What a great example of stereotyping! I don't have nor have I ever had a confederate flag. Both of my cars run just fine thank you. If I had a broken one, it would be in the shop. I know some people dip snuff, but not in my family or friends. Maybe it would be a good idea to just not sleep around no matter where you live. it's probably a good thing that you don't live here anymore.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:23 AM

12 posts, read 33,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbee View Post
What a great example of stereotyping! I don't have nor have I ever had a confederate flag. Both of my cars run just fine thank you. If I had a broken one, it would be in the shop. I know some people dip snuff, but not in my family or friends. Maybe it would be a good idea to just not sleep around no matter where you live. it's probably a good thing that you don't live here anymore.
i noticed you didn't say anything about the "N" word. jk
i can only go by my experience when i lived in laurel/hattiesburg if you live in another part of ms i've no idea what is like there, i've been to pascacula and it was a very nice place with no broken cars or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi