Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:25 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by epedamia View Post
i lived in mississippi for about 4 years in laurel/hattisburg and the people there are really nice and stuff but you want to talk about back stabbing people all over the place. haha thats the thing about ms, you'll talk to someone and they'll be nice and then go behind your back and talk about big time, also the "N" word is used very often and if you get offended by confederate flags stay very far away, plus everybody there has at least 1 broken car in there front yard, and don't even get me started on relationships all i can say is use protection or you just slept with all your friends and there friends. other than that its pretty nice place, really pretty. oh one last thing everything smells like snuff.
You're 21 years old and live in Texas, moving to Seattle after the life dream of Boston? That's correct? Darlin', bless your heart....you have a lot to learn. I can only assume these are teenage memories of Mississippi - not to invalidate what you experienced, but things do change a little as you get older and aren't sleeping with everyone. People grow up. I think maybe as relocators to Mississippi, we're probably talking more about adults that have learned to control their mouth and tempers?

Old 08-03-2008, 11:47 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,052 times
Quote:
i lived in mississippi for about 4 years in laurel/hattisburg and the people there are really nice and stuff but you want to talk about back stabbing people all over the place. haha thats the thing about ms, you'll talk to someone and they'll be nice and then go behind your back and talk about big time, also the "N" word is used very often and if you get offended by confederate flags stay very far away, plus everybody there has at least 1 broken car in there front yard, and don't even get me started on relationships all i can say is use protection or you just slept with all your friends and there friends. other than that its pretty nice place, really pretty. oh one last thing everything smells like snuff.
Hopefully, you've "moved on," yes? Mississippi doesn't need whiners. You could also improve on your writing abilities. You did go to school, yes?

Old 08-03-2008, 02:09 PM

356 posts, read 1,345,524 times
Quote:
i noticed you didn't say anything about the "N" word. jk
i can only go by my experience when i lived in laurel/hattiesburg if you live in another part of ms i've no idea what is like there, i've been to pascacula and it was a very nice place with no broken cars or anything.
I forgot to respond about the "N" word. I rarely hear it, probably because people who know me know better than to say it in front of me. I admit I have heard some African Americans use it to each other though. I lived in Laurel for 8 years and I still didn't even have a neighbor with a broken down car in the yard.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:23 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,261 times
Quote:
i i've been to pascacula and it was a very nice place with no broken cars or anything.
I don't believe you have ever set foot in Pascagoula.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:08 PM

212 posts, read 901,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I don't believe you have ever set foot in Pascagoula.
That's what I was wondering. I have heard that some people try to avoid Pascagoula.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 PM

To all of the people who were offended by this thread, I apologize. I intended for this thread to be more like this: Someone has really offended Mississippi, but do they really have a clue what it's really like? Probably not, because they have a negative view of Mississippi, and won't set foot in the state because of this. This is your chance to prove to them that they are wrong and that Mississippi is a great state.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:26 PM

20 posts, read 106,642 times
Quote:
People stab each other in the back no matter where you live.

The "n" word is heard more by turning on the radio or MTV than I hear anywhere else.

Yes there are people with confederate flags, it is part of our heritage.

Not everyone has broke-down old cars in their yards. And once again you will see that in any state.

As for "sleeping with your friends and their friends" once again doesn't this apply to anywhere in the U.S. in this day and age. Hello, who wouldn't use protection!

As for everything smelling like snuff, I don't even know what you are talking about. A lot of the cities are going to the no-smoking ban. Even before hand I have never been somewhere that smelt like snuff.

Mississippi is very diverse and that is what makes it unique. People here are very hospitable and well mannered. I love it here. I moved here from the mid-west when I was still in high school. It took me a year to adjust-mainly to the heat and humidity, oh and learning to use ma'am and sir . Now that I am used to it, it doesn't bother me. I would rather deal with the heat, than deal with the cold and snow. And I don't think I could handle going back to restaurants that don't serve sweet tea!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftygal View Post
People stab each other in the back no matter where you live.

The "n" word is heard more by turning on the radio or MTV than I hear anywhere else.

Yes there are people with confederate flags, it is part of our heritage.

Not everyone has broke-down old cars in their yards. And once again you will see that in any state.

As for "sleeping with your friends and their friends" once again doesn't this apply to anywhere in the U.S. in this day and age. Hello, who wouldn't use protection!

As for everything smelling like snuff, I don't even know what you are talking about. A lot of the cities are going to the no-smoking ban. Even before hand I have never been somewhere that smelt like snuff.

Mississippi is very diverse and that is what makes it unique. People here are very hospitable and well mannered. I love it here. I moved here from the mid-west when I was still in high school. It took me a year to adjust-mainly to the heat and humidity, oh and learning to use ma'am and sir . Now that I am used to it, it doesn't bother me. I would rather deal with the heat, than deal with the cold and snow. And I don't think I could handle going back to restaurants that don't serve sweet tea!
This is a great post. I said I wanted to hear positive things about living in Mississippi, and this is it. I also live in the Midwest, and I'm not too fond of it, especially the winters.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 AM

340 posts, read 1,188,923 times
Born and raised in MS, lived there for 45 years ago, moved to TN 3 years ago.

The MS Gulf Coast is a wonderful area with wonderful people! Some of our dearest friends, people we could count on for just about anything, still live there. The food is awesome, the ocean is beautiful. Southern charm and hospitality is still alive on the MS Gulf Coast. And the perserverance of the people is something I am very proud of! The response to Hurr Katrina is a fine example of the caliber of the people there.

Each area of the state is different. On the coast is a diverse group of people with two of the best school districts in the state: Ocean Springs and Long Beach. There are several military bases, and John C Stennis Space Center there. Yep, one of the states always has to come in last, but to lump all of MS into one pile is like saying that the entire state of TN is the same. Here in TN, we have the ultra-liberal flat (as in no mountains) western part of the state; the moderate, musically centered, rolling hills with some mountains, middle part of the state (surrounding Nashville); and the mountainous, gorgeous, traditional and conservative eastern part of the state. TN could be 3 different states, each section is so different. MS is the same, north to south instead of west to east (like TN).

And, in case you are curious, I moved from MS to TN because this is where my hubby and I always wanted to end up. We love the mountains, and they were the only reason we could have left the ocean and great food for. We were looking for more moderate weather (read: humid and hot summers had just gotten to be too much for me) and we aren't beach people. An opportunity came up and we snatched it.

I am proud to say that I am from Mississippi.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:28 PM

18 posts, read 70,199 times
What's wrong with "southern friendly people" here, in Mississippi. Today I ran out of cigarettes and asked some smokers nearby. And all of them said "NO". Everywhere in world it's unbelievable... it's an offence, like saying "**** off, you punk i will not give you anything". You can hear "no" only in sentences like "no, i'm not smoking" or "no, sorry, it's my last one"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi