Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:35 AM

214 posts, read 868,960 times

Advertisements

even tho im not from mississippi i think the state always gets a bad rap for having a high proverty rate within the state but i also dug deep to look at the state also has a rich history too as well look at all the famous people who came out of mississippi oprah winfrey,morgan freeman,james earl jones,brandy norwood,faith hill,le ann rimes,bb king,bo diddley,john lee hooker,britney spears,nate dogg,afroman,david banner,elvis presley,sports-brett favre,the great walter payton,jerry rice,archie manning and his son eli manning who play college football at the univ of mississippi,steve mcnair nba star monta ellis,al jefferson,gerald glass and many more so i think mississippi has done very well bring out well name people from this state. at least one thing mississippi has compare to other states like places such as wyoming,montana,south/north dakota they don't half to deal with the cold winter and snow, you got great southern cooking in mississippi even with the bad rap this state gets i rather choose mississippi to the state i just mention.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:23 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,001,245 times
I have to agree with a previous poster on the first page that why go where everyone wants to go? most everyone now adays is a bad thing! I live and work in Chicago (i work at the thompson center off randolph) and have been dreaming about moving to Mississippi for a good year now. I can't wait to move there soon! i'm going to move to either hattiesburg or ocean springs...although i have yet to visit in person. i love hot and humid weather and i love a slower pace. i don't know what people with manners would be like! in chicago, everyone is so rushed because there are millions of people on the streets and everyone has somewhere to go. I don't like that pace. Plus you all know about chicago's crime...

i think Mississippi is a hidden Gem and i can't wait to visit! i am thinking about hopping on the Amtrack...

could any of you tell me if hattiesburg still maintains it southern charm? i hear it is a fairly large place with lots of out of towners. i want a genuine mississippi city to live in...thanks.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:48 PM

356 posts, read 1,340,549 times
Hattiesburg is a college town so the traffic can be pretty bad at times. You can find just about anything you want there though. If I had my choice, I would choose Ocean Springs. I always thought it would be such a nice place to live.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 PM

16 posts, read 53,393 times
this really depends on where you live...again. some areas are just as you described, while others are not. it's not how this state is all over-not ALL of us choose to live and be like that... it's the people's choice to live like they do. i have a good friend who lives in hattiesburg and LOVES it...

Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 PM
bjh

59,746 posts, read 30,187,814 times
I've never lived in MS but have visited it on many occasions. I've always had a good experience. MS is a beautiful state with a lot of good and friendly people.

But then again, like someone else said, yes it's terrible, tell everyone and stay away. I feel that way about the south in general. Fewer 'yankees' the better, even though my ancestors were yankees. (hey, they got to the south as soon as they could)

Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby78 View Post
this really depends on where you live...again. some areas are just as you described, while others are not. it's not how this state is all over-not ALL of us choose to live and be like that... it's the people's choice to live like they do. i have a good friend who lives in hattiesburg and LOVES it...
Sorry if it sounded like I was putting down Hattiesburg. I really wasn't. It's a nice town. I used to go shopping there all the time when I lived in Laurel.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:15 AM

16 posts, read 53,393 times
im sure hattiesburg has it's own problems too just don't know if it is as bad as jackson though...

Old 08-13-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby78 View Post
im sure hattiesburg has it's own problems too just don't know if it is as bad as jackson though...
Believe me, it's not even close to being as bad as Jackson!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:19 AM

20 posts, read 105,872 times
Tupelo to me is a great place to live. And it is growing so quickly. If you like slow paced living that is the place to go, IMO. We used to live there and I miss it. We use to travel to Memphis to do our shopping, but now they have everything we traveled to Memphis for. Yet it is still a small city.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:08 PM

11 posts, read 39,020 times
Default MS Beauty

I have been all over the US, Mississippi does have a higher rate of poverty Moderator cut: edit MS is gorgeous country, lush greens, beautiful architech and friendly people. Don't pass up a chance to visit this beautiful state!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-24-2008 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi