U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 06:44 PM

212 posts, read 850,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortneemitchell View Post
Mississippi is an awesome place to live! Work is fun wherever you go because of the great people, they become just like family. Travel is pretty crazy in places like Hattiesburg and Jackson. Crime rate is not that high in the smaller cities, but pretty high in Jackson.
Thank you. This is very encouraging and makes me think living in Mississippi would be pleasant.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-21-2008, 10:10 AM

179 posts, read 521,467 times
I bet there's as much or little negative stuff said about MS then just about any other place.

Lemme tell you one thing, since this is hubby's home - I have traveled the World and met what feels like a zillion people- But one thing you'll find in MS is friends that stay true to you and the friendship forever no matter if you're a world away form then.

To me the people in MS and their absolute great characters count muchhhh higher then any Stuff on some online ranking! And God knows if I could find our kinda jobs down there, I'd pack my family up in a heartbeat and move there.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:04 PM

948 posts, read 3,510,464 times
It is not fare to call out MS like that. MS is what it is and I happen to like it. I live in Memphis, a few miles from South haven MS and I like it. I never hear the N Word among white people as much as I hear it among blacks but thats same everywhere. If you like a place like LA, Seattle or Chicago then MS is not for you but If you just want a nice and quite country life MS has alot of that. I would live there before Memphis anytime.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:42 PM

73 posts, read 149,050 times
All I can say is I wish I was in Dixie. Mississippi is part of the USA, a great state in an even greater nation.

Out of the 50 states in this union, not a one can claim no need for improvement.

If you are truly an American and see a need, you ought to point it out but you should also roll up your sleeves and improve upon that situation.

I grew up in Mississippi and go back almost every year. After living in Idaho where it was very cold, I lost my tolerance for heat though I use to pick cotton in a flannel shirt and long pants in the dead of Summer/Fall. It is very hard to get family members to leave Mississippi and I can't blame them ...because it is HOME!

Mississppi had a hard time attracting industry which left a lot of people to earn a living farming or in retail.

I have never been in a fight in Mississippi, I was jailed in Rankin County (Brandon) 30 years ago for Civil Rights Marching but other than that no trouble.

Funny, everytime I return to Mississippi it is on I-20, right thru Rankin County, I never give it any thought. I am too busy holding the acelerator down to maintain 80MPH. Now that you know I fly down I-20, I am going to go the posted speed limit next time. Plus gas is just to dang high to blow it out the tailpipes.

I really hate the gambling has come to Mississippi but people got to eat, maybe other type of industry will soon follow.

Most of my classmates stayed in Mississippi and are still there. Some moved away but have since moved back.

Had my father lived, there is no way I would have moved away for a job. All of my classmates are making a living and have the opportunity to be around their family and friends they have had all of their lives. Now, how can you beat that.

PS: Oh, Lordy..all you can eat Catfish in a Dome-type restraurant on HWY 49S. They make you hurt yourself. That is worth a 12 hour drive by itself. Pretty passionate women reside in Mississippi. They have teh type of women you want to stay home because tehy really know how to be productive attentive housewives and mothers. Clean fresh air. It is hot but now I have air conditioning or I can dress for the weather and show off my great legs.

BTW: Do not believe a thing I have said, I would like to keep this gem a secret.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:21 PM

5 posts, read 28,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
I have heard a lot of bad things about Mississippi, and I wanted to know if some of these things are true. According to Morgan Quitno, Mississippi is the least livable state in the U.S., based on 44 categories. Not to offend anyone, but Mississippi is number one in poverty. Not that the whole state should be considered bad because of this. Someone has to be number one. Mississippi is also number one in having the most overweight and obese people. Again, not that this should make Mississippi a bad state.
Obesity is becoming a problem all over the country, not just in Mississippi.
I would really like to hear some positive things about living in Mississippi.
mississippi is not a bad state it is a beautiful state one of the best there is just not a whole lot here. no jobs especially if you have not degree if you have a degree or anything of the sort you will be fine here you will be in the most friendly state ever. this is my home state and i love it i am more of a city girl but it isn't bad here if you have a degree or a trade. we have a new toyota plant going in in tupelo and my husband works at a steel mill in columbus ms and near here there is some work coming up in near alabama i think hamilton and in tuscaloosa. you can make it here for sure but if you don't have any of these trades you may end up at mcdonalds or wendy's. welcome home!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,722 times
Mississippi is Bassackwards. I'm 27, I've been living in Mississippi for about Hmmmmmm... Oh 27 years. There is alot of racisim, old attitudes, and did i say racisim. I work at Fed Ex as a driver. The economy is slow, so jobs are hard to come by. I was looking for a part time job at a grocery store, as a stocker, out in Rankin county. There was a now hiring sign in the door. There were two stockers working at the time. One had no teeth and the other had two teeth both were white. The HR rep told me I was underqualified. By the way I'm Black. The guy who had no teeth was slightly disabled. And the other guy had no teeth. And I"m Underqualifed. Don't move here.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sissippi View Post
Mississippi is Bassackwards. I'm 27, I've been living in Mississippi for about Hmmmmmm... Oh 27 years. There is alot of racisim, old attitudes, and did i say racisim. I work at Fed Ex as a driver. The economy is slow, so jobs are hard to come by. I was looking for a part time job at a grocery store, as a stocker, out in Rankin county. There was a now hiring sign in the door. There were two stockers working at the time. One had no teeth and the other had two teeth both were white. The HR rep told me I was underqualified. By the way I'm Black. The guy who had no teeth was slightly disabled. And the other guy had no teeth. And I"m Underqualifed. Don't move here.
Where in Mississippi did this happen? Maybe that was just a bad city that you were in. I wouldn't say a whole state is bad when you have only seen one area of the state.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sissippi View Post
Are you one of those Mississippians trying to make Mississippi sound horrible so no one will move there?

Old 09-22-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
I posted in this thread because I found, based on my actual experience, that the stereotypes about Mississippi are just that - stereotypes. Mississippi is pretty much like everywhere else in America.

I traveled the east coast this summer from northern Maine to the Mississippi delta and back. I've lived in places as diverse as London, Texas, Hawaii and the Caribbean and I'm a dual US-European Union citizen. I have to admit I held some stereotypes and mythologies about Mississippi. Now that I've been there I know they were wrong.

Every region has it's cultural differences, and stereotypes sometimes have some basis in truth, but everyplace shares modern culture now thanks to the internet and the pop media.

I really like Mississippi. Nobody jumped out of the bushes with sheets over their heads and carrying burning crosses. Personally, I think they got over that era to a high degree and good people are moving on. It's modern times and, for better or worse, Mississippi is a modern place with modern advantages and problems. Nobody would have to twist my arm to get me to go to Mississippi. I'd go back there again in a heartbeat given the opportunity for another visit.
It seems like some states really have some stereotypes that most people believe, but I don't know where some people get these ideas. Take my state(Nebraska) for example. What is the first word that comes to your mind when you think of Nebraska? I bet it is either corn or football. We do have a lot of cornfields in the rural areas of Nebraska, but not everyone here is that crazy about football. Some people even think that there are still hostile Native Americans in Nebraska, and that they will attack people going down the highways and interstates in Nebraska, which is so ridiculous it's funny.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:27 PM

22 posts, read 108,433 times
A website to visit: http://www.mississippibelieveit.com

Lived here all my life, except about 2 years in Western Alabama (no real difference).
Here's some of what you need to know:

It's hot 48 weeks a year, except when it rains. Then its just extremely warm. Winter lasts about 4 weeks and it's not 4 weeks in a row, it's just 4 weeks spread out around whenever it takes a mind too.

We have hurricanes, but not NorEasters, Western Wildfires, or Earthquakes.

We have tornadoes. (This is where God practices his tornado making so he can let loose the real ones in Kansas, Oklahoma, etc.)

We have fat people. They are not exclusive to Mississippi. The reason there is so many fat people here, and everywhere, can be traced back to one individual...The Father of Cool - Willis Haviland Carrier

http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa081797.htm

Should we thank him or hate him? Hmmmm.

We have poverty. It isn't exclusive either.

We have racism. Who doesn't? (Being over 50 I can tell you that it has improved MASSIVELY in my life time. The vast majority couldn't care less, but you know how hard it is to live down stereotypes and the actions of a few under-educated knuckleheads.)

It snows in the Northern part of the state sometimes. Usually not over an inch. It's been about 12 years since we had a "good one" in Jackson. (good = 1 inch or more in Jackson and parts south.)

We are a rural state for the most part, meaning life is slower than the big-city rat races you find in the (supposedly) more livable areas of the country.

The fishing is good. Hunting too. I don't do much of either.

If you like beaches, we have them.

If you like the woods, we have them too.

Mostly we have the heat! So, come on down, the weather's fine!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-24-2008 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: removed URL tags
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi