Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:33 PM

212 posts, read 901,291 times

Advertisements

I have heard a lot of bad things about Mississippi, and I wanted to know if some of these things are true. According to Morgan Quitno, Mississippi is the least livable state in the U.S., based on 44 categories. Not to offend anyone, but Mississippi is number one in poverty. Not that the whole state should be considered bad because of this. Someone has to be number one. Mississippi is also number one in having the most overweight and obese people. Again, not that this should make Mississippi a bad state.
Obesity is becoming a problem all over the country, not just in Mississippi.
I would really like to hear some positive things about living in Mississippi.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:59 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
I have heard a lot of bad things about Mississippi, and I wanted to know if some of these things are true. According to Morgan Quitno, Mississippi is the least livable state in the U.S.
Who in the hell is Morgan Quitno???

Old 07-31-2008, 10:02 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
And just to answer the question Directly.

NO.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 PM

212 posts, read 901,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Who in the hell is Morgan Quitno???
Morgan Quitno is a research and publishing company. They probably base all of their information on statistics, but they probably have not bothered to visit Mississippi, which makes me think that their opinion should not be considered valid. If people still live there, then it must not be what they say it is.

Moderator cut: edit, orphaned post
If only this company had actually taken the time to have someone visit Mississippi for them, but of course they probably don't care that much. It's just another state to them, that, in their view, is nothing special.
I will visit Mississippi someday, so I can find out what it's really like.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-01-2008 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: ongoing thought, edited orphaned post

Old 08-01-2008, 07:35 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Morgan Quitno is certainly not the only, nor the first, nor the last, that has stated that.

Attacking companies or publications that rank Mississippi at or near the bottom will keep you people busy for a long time because there are many !

Why not have an intelligent conversation by pointing out which facts and which conclusions by these many publications are wrong ?

Old 08-01-2008, 07:39 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,141 times
AB, how many posts have you made already about how is the living here, how is the living there, taxing folks' brains to no end, and then coming up with some superfluous BS from who? Morgan Quitno? Does he live in MS? Somehow I doubt it. Something is tweaking my frontal lobes Moderator cut: edit , getting all this "info" and then coming back and hammering my home state. Even I, as a MS Native although not living there at the moment, have given you some of my time, and some information, but, ah, WTH, what do you really want? Someone to hold your hand? This ain't Beatles land, it's real folks, real scenery, real towns and cities. Perhaps you should look elsewhere. Lots of folks really don't appreciate getting whacked in the back after giving out information, ya know? Have a nice day.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-01-2008 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: DP, DP...no name calling, now...

Old 08-01-2008, 08:03 AM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times
Yes, we really are that bad. Its horrible down here. You won't like it at all . Please don't even visit. Pass the word around. Post it in every state listed on City-Data.com.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 14,829 times
I have lived in Mississippi my entire life and love the south hospitality and the warmth of the people. Before you beleive everything you read, you should visit. By the way
look up how many Mississippi America's have come from Mississippi. Proverty is something present in every place and here we make a rule of trying to help each other no matter how much we have or don't have. God help you for being so judgemental.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:29 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
This kind of post is getting old. Use the search link and see all the good things people have said about MS in answer to so many posts like this. Notice the explanations about demographics, history, and rural versus city atmosphere. Check out the parks, coastal areas, arts, and outdoor recreation not to mention the folks who were educated and raised here who have accomplished much in the fields of the arts, literature, sports, and science. Then give this stuff a rest for a while!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 AM

125 posts, read 435,296 times
Judging by the type of people I've met while living in the preferred places I''ll choose the place where the majority doesn't want to live every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi