Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:55 PM

469 posts, read 2,735,644 times

Advertisements

My friend's younger brother plays on the soccer team at Warren Central High School. The YMCA also runs a soccer program for kids. My friend's little sister also plays on her high school's softball team. All kinds of other sports are offered at the high schools.

Vicksburg is also visually gorgeous. Beautiful, stately old antebellum homes, little bridges, majestic hills, and an adorable but sadly quiet downtown. I think if more people actually came to V'burg they'd fall in love and more folks would move in. I'm currently staying with my friend here, and everytime I visit I find myself charmed by V'burg.

Unfortunately, it's not a very 'happening' city and finding things to do can be a challenge. Which isn't to say people don't stay busy. There's pilates classes downtown (in a building directly across the street from Highway 61 coffee shop). Speaking of Highway 61, it's my favorite hangout -- they have live music a couple nights a week, and a really cool art gallery upstairs with pieces by local artists. The YMCA is out on Oakridge Rd, and offers water aerobics, weight training, etc. You can tour the Old Courthouse and other historic mansions. My friend is really into crafty stuff and goes to two knitting circles -- one's at the Senior Center and the other's held at Highway 61 coffee shop. She loves Lael's and Evelyn's (out in Bovina) for restaurants. I haven't been to Lael's, but Evelyn's is fantastic, delicious authentic soul food that any Southerner will love. As far as I know, there are no bars or nightclubs (quite different from Gulfport-Biloxi, where they're plentiful!) and church seems to be everyone's favorite hobby. A woman I took a ballet class with, Chiquila Pearson, teaches African dance at the Jackson Street Community Center and let me tell you, she's incredible! Well worth checking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi