Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 05:16 PM

20 posts, read 106,563 times

Advertisements

I was watching Rachel Ray on Food Network last night and she was doing a show that featured "off the beaten path" restaurants that were worth going to. She featured Gus's Fried Chicken in Memphis. Sadly, I know the one in Southaven closed.

What other "off the beaten path" restaurants do you like to eat at?

My husband took me to Dale's off Stateline Road for the first time this past Saturday. It was really good and very affordable. We will be going back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
I thought Dale's was a Southaven landmark. The owner's house is even painted in the same pink color scheme.

Some of my favorite, non national chain restaurants are:

Jim Neeley's Interstate BBQ on Stateline - The main store has been on the food network a bunch. Alton Brown has stopped in. Guy has mentioned it a few times even when he showcased Brenda Neeley's restaurant in CA. Brenda is Jim's sister.

Hueys - It's a Memphis landmark. My wife and I have sampled the different stores across Memphis and Southaven is the best. Jock and Terry keep the restaurant running smoothly and the service is top notch. After a few visits, you will feel like family. We were even invited to one of the server's baby shower. It was GREAT!

La Hacienda - There are 2 in town but we go to the one that is in the parking lot of Pet Smart/Sports Authority (behind Danver's). The fajita's del mar is the best thing on the menu.

Boiling Point - I've only been a few times because it is a little more expensive than others but the food has been fantastic every time.

I've heard that Bangkok Alley and The Chop House are both excellent as well. I haven't been to either yet even though they are just around the corner from my neighborhood.

-Robert

Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 AM

21 posts, read 71,272 times
I know it isn't in Southaven but The Catfish Company in OliveBranch is pretty good and I don't even like fish
My husband swears Evans Cafe in Horn Lake is good but I have never been.
Casa Mexicana in Southaven is sooooo yummy!! We moved to Utah and can't find any Mexican that even comes close to that place.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBudsMom View Post
I know it isn't in Southaven but The Catfish Company in OliveBranch is pretty good and I don't even like fish
Been there and it is really good. But the Chatterbox south of OB on 78 is even better. They tried to tell us a shortcut to take us back to Southaven and we ended up in Coldwater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBudsMom View Post
Casa Mexicana in Southaven is sooooo yummy!! We moved to Utah and can't find any Mexican that even comes close to that place.
Casa Mexican in OB was our favorite Mexican place until we tried La Hacienda.

-Robert

Old 08-16-2008, 08:08 AM

I love Casa Mexicana. We go to the one on Church Road. They are so friendly there.
Thanks for the input. We have only been in the area for almost a year and we are still learning about it. Thanks for telling me about the places in Olive Branch too. We like to go there too. We just don't like having to drive into Memphis.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftygal View Post
We just don't like having to drive into Memphis.
Leonard's BBQ is worth the drive. The Saturday night all you can eat rib buffet starts at 4pm. Skip lunch and eat an early supper (we call it lupper) You can be safely across the state line well before dark.

-Robert

Old 08-17-2008, 07:14 PM

LOL We will have to "go to the dark side" to eat some lupper at Leonards!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftygal View Post
My husband took me to Dale's off Stateline Road for the first time this past Saturday. It was really good and very affordable. We will be going back!
We ate there tonight for the first time. It was excellent.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:07 PM

8 posts, read 44,459 times
I know that the Catfish Company gets a lot of business but I can't see how. I know I must be in the minority for thinking that it is GROSS! The food was not awful but it wasn't good either. The place was just dirty inside. I came home and showered. This was several years ago so maybe they've cleaned up the place?

Another place that is "off the beaten path" for sure is Uncle Chuck's. It is really good. It looks like a real hole in the wall but it is clean. Pricer than you'd expect from looking at the outside. It is way down 305 inside Lewisburg. They are only open weekends.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:37 PM

78 posts, read 394,558 times
Timbeaux's in Hernando is now open under new owners. Have a lunch menu that is $8 to $10
Evening is quite a bit more expensive & is really pretty good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi