U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:22 PM

767 posts, read 1,999,034 times

Advertisements

When you folks from up north call us folks from down South "red necks", and we call you folks from up north "yankees", it means pretty much the same thing. I detest the phrase and I always try to run over the person calling me a red neck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 07:35 PM

9 posts, read 27,084 times
I was born in New Orleans and grew up in Hattiesburg (Petal). When I worked in the Northeast, (Ct. NY.) I would get called Rebel. I did not take it as a bad thing. I was proud to be a Rebel.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,429,783 times
but I still dont know what a yank is, Im from the Southwest so what would yall call someone from there?

Old 08-16-2008, 09:06 PM

60 posts, read 219,337 times
Mississippi is quite possibly the worst state I have ever been to. Although I've never been to West Virginia, and I'm pretty sure southern Arkansas is equally bad or perhaps a bit worse.

I am there right now in fact, in a hotel, visiting family that lives here (second time this summer). My wife is from here and she is extremely glad she got out and moved to the midwest.

Here are the reasons I would never live here:
-Public education here is horrible
-The health care here is horrible
-The people, although extremely pleasant and hospitable, are predominately ignorant. Not that I'm a genius or anything, but I thought this was just an unfair stereotype until I started visiting. I would elaborate on this point but cataloging all of the ignorant attitudes in Mississippi would be a daunting task and I simply wouldn't know where to begin.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:56 PM

102 posts, read 322,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
thats another thing, someone on one of these forums told me if I move to the South people will call me a yankee or a yank, but I dont even know what that is besides the New York Yankees baseball team but Im from New Mexico.
I think a yankee is supposed to be someone who isn't from the south.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:09 AM
NWS

721 posts, read 1,479,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
Mississippi is quite possibly the worst state I have ever been to. Although I've never been to West Virginia, and I'm pretty sure southern Arkansas is equally bad or perhaps a bit worse....
-The people, although extremely pleasant and hospitable, are predominately ignorant. Not that I'm a genius or anything, but I thought this was just an unfair stereotype until I started visiting. I would elaborate on this point but cataloging all of the ignorant attitudes in Mississippi would be a daunting task and I simply wouldn't know where to begin.

Gosh Roy tell us how you really feel? You certainly say ignorant a lot.
Don't you think it's ignorant to lump an entire state with that label?
Why did you marry one of our ignorant citizens? Was she the last intelligent person left in Mississippi?
I have no idea where you loiter at when in Mississippi but evidently I haven't been there yet.
Don't act trollish Roy.
Oh, and Roy, trust me no one here would mistake you for a genius or anything, no disclaimer was needed.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:13 PM

16 posts, read 49,158 times
There are too many intelligent real estate investors who make billions each year down here(and live down here)-that doesn't sound ignorant to me!!! You must have lived in a different part of town..... Ive never heard anyone down here call anyone a "yankee"....

Old 08-17-2008, 07:27 PM

20 posts, read 95,678 times
Roy G. Biv, take your sorry attitude and biased opinions elsewhere.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:15 PM

60 posts, read 219,337 times
Quote:
You certainly say ignorant a lot.
I said it twice.

Notice the objections to my ignorance comment but apparently the comments on Mississippi education and heath care were deemed acceptable.

I really don't mean to be a jerk or arrogant because everyone I've met in Mississippi is really nice, and there are lots of dumb people in every state. But I think avoiding that characteristic is rather low on the list of concerns in Mississippi.

Speaking of being nice, I went ahead and brought back all my plastic bottles after my trip to MS because I know you Mississippi folk don't know about recycling yet. You're welcome.

Shelby, I personally don't know any billionare mississippi real estate people, but I do know that MS has the lowest per capita income in the country.

Last edited by Roy G. Biv; 08-17-2008 at 10:37 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 10:55 PM
bjh

30,250 posts, read 23,703,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
thats another thing, someone on one of these forums told me if I move to the South people will call me a yankee or a yank, but I dont even know what that is besides the New York Yankees baseball team but Im from New Mexico.

Traditionally, a YANKEE is what southerners called inconsiderate and rude northerners.

If you are from New Mexico (SW US) then you are not a yankee.

FYI - a YANK is what the British call all Americans from all regions of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or