U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:06 AM
NWS

721 posts, read 1,481,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
I said it twice.

Notice the objections to my ignorance comment but apparently the comments on Mississippi education and heath care were deemed acceptable.

I really don't mean to be a jerk or arrogant because everyone I've met in Mississippi is really nice, and there are lots of dumb people in every state. But I think avoiding that characteristic is rather low on the list of concerns in Mississippi.

Speaking of being nice, I went ahead and brought back all my plastic bottles after my trip to MS because I know you Mississippi folk don't know about recycling yet. You're welcome.

Shelby, I personally don't know any billionare mississippi real estate people, but I do know that MS has the lowest per capita income in the country.
Now Roy G. make up your mind. Are you condemning MS because they are ignorant or poor?
Roy you used the word ignorant twice dealing with the same subject in your first post without saying ignorant of what. Aren't we all ignorant to some degree Roy G.? For example you are ignorant of proper behavior when visiting city data's Mississippi Forum. We are nice here and just like our state we like visitors to be nice. See what you just learned Roy G.. Now you are no longer ignorant when it comes to proper decorum in this forum.
Now Roy G. it breaks my heart when people mock others because they might be poor. There is nothing wrong with being poor Roy G.
I have to send you to the scriptures Roy G. because I feel you are a God fearing man. Go to James 2:1-9.
BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: James 2:1-9;
Now lets all try to be a little less ignorant here shall we?
Um, wait a minute. How many times did I say ignorant in this post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:53 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,324,213 times
MODERATOR: This thread is WAY off topic, getting too personal, and in danger of being shut down and infractions issued.

I believe the topic is What Attracts People to Missisippi. Let's get back there, please.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:41 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,253,538 times
Just two things for the naysayer:

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." - Abraham Lincoln

and

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

And Sam I Am is true to her word. Watch out!

Old 08-18-2008, 03:51 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,253,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
thats another thing, someone on one of these forums told me if I move to the South people will call me a yankee or a yank, but I dont even know what that is besides the New York Yankees baseball team but Im from New Mexico.
It would be only cause you don't have a Southern drawl, don't stretch your words out and flatten the vowels. Too precise speech is a dead giveaway. Sometimes the word can be a term of endearment, too. Stick around a few years, and you might even be called a farner by the folks back home in NM!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 PM

60 posts, read 219,673 times
NWS my comment about income was simply in response to shelby78 saying that there were a great deal of "intelligent billionaires" in Mississippi. My wife is from Tupelo and grew up in poverty and there is no one I love or respect more. But you're exactly right that everyone on the planet is ignorant about many things. However some groups of people and some entire cultures have a tendency to celebrate ignorance, and I don't mean this as an attack. What I mean is that knowing too much about certain things or coming off as being too intellectual is actually conisdered a character flaw in some cultural regions around the world and I believe Mississippi is one of those areas.

Certain things make life in the South special. Delicious down home cookin, good laughs, close community, friendliness, traditional Christian values, etc. Having extensive knowledge about science, health, linguistics, philosophy, conservation, or a host of other academic topics would make it hard to have an authentic southern identity of any sort (even regardless of race).

So what attracts people to MS? Its not attractive for being a place where learning and high academic achievement is celebrated. Other things at least seem to be more important there. Other areas in the country and world cherish their learning but treat each other with explicit contempt. Neither way of living is objectively inferior, its all just differences in cultural values. Personally I prefer to be somewhere in between these extremes.

Last edited by Roy G. Biv; 08-18-2008 at 09:03 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 08:34 PM

102 posts, read 323,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
Gosh Roy tell us how you really feel? You certainly say ignorant a lot.
Don't you think it's ignorant to lump an entire state with that label?
Why did you marry one of our ignorant citizens? Was she the last intelligent person left in Mississippi?
I have no idea where you loiter at when in Mississippi but evidently I haven't been there yet.
Don't act trollish Roy.
Oh, and Roy, trust me no one here would mistake you for a genius or anything, no disclaimer was needed.
NWS, unfortunately there seem to be a lot of people that have never been to Mississippi, but feel the need to insult it endlessly. They don't realize how great of a state Mississippi is, and that it's residents are very proud of their state. Like many of the other posters from Mississippi said, maybe it's better if the people from the north don't move to Mississippi and try to change what makes Mississippi so great. I have read several posts written by people who are from Mississippi, and not one of them said anything that makes them sound ignorant.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:55 PM
bjh

30,744 posts, read 23,788,091 times
Check out this link on the New Hampshire forum:

We are leaving New Hampshire and moving back to California!

YOu could replace the words New Hampshire with any southern state, or for that fact, any state at all on most of these forums.

Perception is an awesome thing, and people tend to perceive places they are not familiar with as being substandard to what they know. We tend to ignore the good in new places so that we can complain about the things we miss about where ever we call home, even though home (regardless of where it is) always has some flaws of its own.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,888,784 times
Well, theres learning and then theres learning. Theres education and theres education.

Since most people do not realize it, I must point out that Tupelo has a great health care system. The largest privately owned hospital in the nation is in Tupelo and has a great reputation. Last time I checked, Tupelo has a wonderful education system, helped along I might add by a more than generous donation of not only land in which to build a new high school, but several millions of dollars from one individual family.

People here are real. We are a very friendly people, but when faced with someone with an attitude of superiority, we tend to get our hackles up.

One might be well versed from the most prestigious of colleges, but that necessarily does not make one smart. Book smart maybe, but there are different types of smart. Then again, I must say that our colleges must be doing something very well as they are all full and on campus housing is bursting at it's seams.

We are a laid back people, and most people from other areas automatically think we are stupid/ignorant because of this. Yet, one never knows who he/she is sitting beside in a restaurant or other public place. Many of our affluent people have no desire to 'advertise' what we have by outward appearances. We also try not to judge someone not from here when they can't do the most simple of task that we learned about the time we started to walk.

We tend to ostracize people who are full of themselves and try to help them along with whatever might have brought them to our fair state in order to help them leave it as quickly as possible. Just don't have time for these types of people. We have a saying here, "We all put our pants on the same, one leg at a time" And we take care of our own, most of us do not look down our noses at our less fortunate friends and neighbors.

Remember, where ever one goes, there is always something to be learned, and we as outsiders could be considered ignorant in local customs and ways.

Just don't automatically assume we are uneducated and ignorant, while we might be in some areas, in others we might very well be considered an expert.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:21 AM

21 posts, read 38,081 times
ok roy not to make this personal..i live in the midwest also (saint louis mo.) and i am moving to grenada very shortly and its not to become ignorant or poor..let us not assume that the jobs we have in the midwest that don't now exist in the south makes us more intellegent or further up the ladder rung than those in ms. we are all 1 paycheck from the poor house as my grannie used to say...the economic conditions in ms. may not be as advantagouse as here but i am ready to trade that for the peace of mind ,safety and human compassion that overwhelmed me when i visited mississippi, i hate the tough persona and the "if it aint me i don't care" attitude that comes with this financial windfall if you choose not to then fine ..but to knock this area is not..yea i could stay here and make LOTS of money but the security of knowing my son will not be shot for wearing the wrong color in the wrong neighborhood....pricelesss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 AM

356 posts, read 1,217,788 times
I remember well when my sister moved here from St. Louis. She was so afraid that her children wouldn't get a good education because she thought the schools were so inferior. Now two of those children are doctors and they were educated in Mississippi. It's true that not all of our schools are great, but some of them are outstanding. I think you would find that in any state. The medical care in some of the smaller towns may also be lacking because most doctors want to practice where they can make the most money. The doctors in my small town are very good, but I know they won't be here long. They will move on to the bigger cities. I can't blame them for that. There are some of the best doctors in the country at University Medical Center in Jackson. I've only had experience at the hospitals in Jackson and Hattiesburg, but I have no complaints about any of them. I stay in Mississippi because it feels like home to me. I spent a lot of my younger life away from here, but I always came back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or