U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:34 PM

18 posts, read 38,680 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Alabama and after graduating from Auburn and marrying my Yankee husband (from NY) we relocated to Maine. Maine is about as "yankee" as it gets. It is quintessential New England; and all that is good and bad about New England happens here. We started two businesses and have enjoyed our 6 years here, but even my Yankee Fell'er is ready to head South. We have chosen North Mississippi after many visits. Despite being from only 4 hours east of the Oxford area, I find it to be much different from my part of AL. To me, the Oxford area is a nice hybrid of where I am from and what I am now used to. To be community-oriented is a very New England trait, but a good hardy Southerner knows when to mind their own damn business. Having access to a small city (Memphis) is similar to what I'm used to now (Camden to Portland) and how I grew up (Gadsden to Birmingham).

However, there is something about Mississippi that I just can't seem to sum up. It has all the intoxifying qualities of a New England dirt road in the winter. To me, Mississippi is the thing of dreams...the feeling evoked by the great Southern films. That cricket-in-the-background, slow-paced, twinkle-in-his-eye, all-out mysterious GIVE ME MORE! character has me heading down to Mississippi this spring. I can't wait. I love Maine but the cost of living and the politics have exhausted us.

I think I hear crickets already...

Lauren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:55 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,597,402 times
I think 'sultry' is the state of mind you are describing. Great description. I think there is something to that. Presently it's about 40 degrees and beautiful, perhaps like Maine in early spring.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,153,290 times
You want to know one thing that maybe attracts people to MS, and the deep south in general? It's because within reason, you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want to on your own property.

You live up north you have to accept certain rules - leaf raking, snow shoveling, car in the garage, whatever. Down here I can park my cars on the lawn, get a barrel and burn my own trash, fire guns in the woods behind my friends house, and pretty much no one gives a darn or gets uptight.

The sense of freedom from authority is real down here.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:15 PM

149 posts, read 464,859 times
Hmmm...I am now longing for a visit. Maybe sometime next year-def not during summer lol!

Old 12-16-2011, 03:55 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,108,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You live up north you have to accept certain rules - leaf raking, snow shoveling, car in the garage, whatever. Down here I can park my cars on the lawn, get a barrel and burn my own trash, fire guns in the woods behind my friends house, and pretty much no one gives a darn or gets uptight.

The sense of freedom from authority is real down here.
Try that in suburban Jackson, Southaven, Olive Branch, or the Gulf Coast.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:26 PM

13,450 posts, read 8,466,468 times
Quote:
What attracts people to MS?
I hate to state the obvious, but the thing that attracts people to Mississippi is, well, (gulp) nothing. People don't move here, much.

According to the 2010 US Census, Mississippi has a population of 2,967,297.
The 2000 Census reported Mississippi's population as 2,844,658.

That's an increase of 122,639 people, or 4.3% in ten years. Probably more people than that were born here during the ten years.

Don't get me wrong. I like it here just fine. But the neighborhood Welcoming Committee just doesn't have all that much to do.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:33 PM

55,479 posts, read 74,366,214 times
manners and spirit
hence the acronym
MS

Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,302 posts, read 12,178,369 times
I think I might like Mississippi ...... really the only thing stopping me from checking it out is its reputation for high humidity and all the biting insects that come with it.

I think the previous remarks about anti-intellectualism have a lot to do with the fundamentalist Christian religion that is common through all the Bible Belt of Dixie. (by fundamentalism, I mean the belief that a religious scripture such as the Bible is the perfect word of God, and meant to be interpreted very literally for the most part). That can squelch intellectual conversations ..... but throughout my life, I've found that intellectual conversations aren't all that important outside of academia, and at any rate with the Internet one can indulge in them to one's hearts content a few clicks away, you don't have to be sitting right next to a person debating about existentialism or Christopher Hitchen's articles on pain and strength (RIP, poor bastard).

I just checked the rents on Craigslist, and they're not as supercheap as I would have expected. About in line with Oregon and some of the Rocky Mountain states.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:00 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,597,402 times
December in Mississippi is beautiful...a crisp 50 degrees and sunny. The woodlands always look clean and pristine this time of year. The farms and forests, small towns, hills and ravines, and lack of traffic and sprawl...overall feels good. This is a great time of year to walk.

In the summers, finding a nice, cold swimming pool, perhaps overlooking a lake, with radio, food, drinks, and books is the thing to do.

From a cultural perspective, Mississippi's culture overlaps the culture of New Orleans in many ways. That's not something you hear about a lot, but it's very evident in places like Oxford, Natchez, the Gulf Coast, and even suburban Jackson such as through food, architecture, and social interactions.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:57 PM

114 posts, read 446,194 times
Friend told me not long ago, people do not move to Mississippi to live, they move there to die.

What does that mean? Well I posted this in the hate Mississippi topic, and its basically the reason why towns may grow is because people out of state are moving in after retiring or they worked a while out of state and wanted to move due to the cheap housing.

if you lived in Mississippi for a period of time you really cant honestly see how some people afford what they have by working jobs in Mississippi because the good paying jobs are just not there for any of that to happen. I know in the southern part of the state, most of the people who the big homes, fancy new cars, was workers in Louisiana, the amount of people that work or had worked in Louisiana is mind boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or