U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2008, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 14,625 times
Default Mineral rights revert to owner?

We have land that has been in our family for over 50 years but do not own all the mineral rights.

Do mineral rights ever revert to landowner in Mississippi?

Someone told me they do after 37 years?

My sister owns 160 Acres and they say a timber company had her mineral rights.

I have 160 acreas and only have 1/4 of mine.

I am buying an additinal 80 Acres and am told I will get some mineral rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 14,625 times
Default Legal opinion

I finally spoke to an attorney who said unlike Lousiana that there is no time limit in Mississippi and the Mineral rights never revert back to the landowner.
Sounds like a law we need to get corrected.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,808 times
What constitues minerals other than gas and oil?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,251,635 times
In some states "mineral rights" consist of anything mined or extracted out of the earth, or basically anything that isn't alive and able to run away from the assayer. Gas, oil, coal, rock, sand, gravel, clay, ores, etc. I don't know the specifics of what is considered a mineral in Mississippi. Water, timber, grazing, and hunting rights are considered usage rights and are different than mineral rights.

I realize that this is a really old thread, but if anyone or any company owns any rights to any property then the information has to be filed with the property records in the local courthouse. And it's public information, so you just have to drive down there and look. Owning a piece of property in fee simple sometimes only means you own the ground surface plus a few feet of air above ground and a few feet of earth below ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi