U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 10,392 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Just moved to Olive Branch, MS near 178 and craft.

Back behind the walmart and shopping area.

I heard from a few people this isn't that safe of an area, since it is so close to Memphis.

Can someone give me some input on this?

I don't want to fear for my family's safety each night.

I originally thought Olive Branch was the safest and nicest of desoto county areas.

I'm originally from Huntington Beach, CA so this is all new to me.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 10:26 PM

20 posts, read 98,618 times
Hello! My husband and I moved to Desoto County from Lee County last November. I know how hard it is to try to find a good area, especially when you have so many biased opinions. Alot of people will tell you that you don't want to live north of Goodman Road. I am sure the neighborhood you live in is fine. We have friends who live off 178 near Craft Road, and they love it! They have been there for about a year now, and they have never felt insecure or unsafe. When we go to buy a home in Desoto County we will either buy in Hernando, or in the Desoto Central school district.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 AM

8 posts, read 40,074 times
I know that crime could happen anywhere...but I have two friends that had their homes broken into during the daytime. They lived in Plantation or Plantation Lakes, so its not right where you are. I also remember reading a story in the paper six months ago or so about a lady coming home from the grocery store and having a gun in her face in that area. I wouldn't live north of Germantown Rd.

I moved here from ATL about 6 yrs. ago. We rented an apartment for 6 months and got to know the area. We bought a house off old 178 and lived there for five years. Our kids were in the Olive Branch school district. We recently moved and now live off 305. Our kids go to Lewisburg schools and I like them a lot better. They are a level 5, which is the best. It's real quiet out here.

How long have you lived here?

Old 09-03-2008, 03:21 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,390,246 times
The crime is relative. Your neighborhood compared to most anything in Memphis is much safer. But you are closer to Memphis so comparing your neighborhood to mine (off of Church Road) you are more likely to be a victim. In reality, you are in a very safe location but you should still never let your guard down.

Even down here we aren't immune to crime. In the 6 years I've lived in this neighborhood we have had 1 break-in. I also know that one house has had a few noise complaints during their pool parties. On the other hand, I've had a family member leave the door of their car open all night and nothing was disturbed.

-Robert

Old 09-09-2008, 07:48 PM

Thank you for your responses.
What grocery store are you referring to, by the way?
Those five years you lived off old 178, did you feel safe? Were there any problems?

And to answer your question, I've been back and forth between Southaven and Huntington Beach since Christmas 2004.
But now I've been here kind of permanently the last 2 years.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:51 PM

8 posts, read 40,074 times
The article didn't say what grocery store she was shopping because the altercation occured in her driveway.

We felt really safe there. We had really great neighbors and we looked out for one another. There were a few things happen in the neighborhood as it is a pretty large neighborhood (Lee's Crossing BTW) but nothing too serious...unless you count the pipe bomb in the mailbox...Some of the people on my street had their tires slashed, my parents were visiting and someone let a fire extinguisher off in their car, someone's lawn caught on fire on the 4th of July and several four wheelers were stolen. I don't think we'd even know about all of that happening if we didn't have a neighborhood assoc. I'm sure most of that was just bored teens as there is not much to do in this town.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split3ways View Post
The article didn't say what grocery store she was shopping because the altercation occured in her driveway.
I remember that one. Her son chased the perp down and shot him a couple of times. Shot him once in the leg because he wouldn't stay on the ground and wait for the police.

Even though we don't have an official neighborhood watch, we do look out for each other. I've called the cops on a suspicious truck parked on the street at 5am. Turns out it was a finish carpenter working on the new house across the street.

As for an actual home invasion down here, I think even the Memphis thugs are not that stupid. At least in my neighborhood, ever truck has a DU (Ducks Unlimited) or a deer hunting sticker on the bumper. That means the the driver is a gun owner.

-Robert

Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 AM

And yesterday the 2 guys responsible for this got 40 years - link.

-Robert

Old 09-22-2008, 09:14 PM

wow 40 years!
thats awesome, justice was actually served.
the woman was ok though, right?

yeah i was thinking about getting a gun just to be extra safe.
i'm about to have my security system hooked up too.
you never know for sure.

but i thank all of you for your help and input on this!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozzy View Post
the woman was ok though, right?
Just shaken. No physical harm that I remember. Most of the people following the story were more concerned for her son. Since the shootout and capture of the perp happened on Stateline Road, part of it was in TN. The Memphis city attorney had to "carefully review the case". His words not mine. Basically, there was such positive support for this guy it would have been a career ender to prosecute the son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozzy View Post
yeah i was thinking about getting a gun just to be extra safe.
This is MS. I thought one was issued with the official welcome package. And why stop at one? My wife and I have over 20 assorted weapons. Yes, I included my wife in that because not all of them are mine. Mod cut-advertisement was her latest purchase.

-Robert

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 09-23-2008 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi