Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2022, 09:12 AM

799 posts, read 1,065,524 times

Advertisements

https://apnews.com/article/business-...f97543410964e9

Essentially they're replacing the 5% bracket with the 4% bracket over the next 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 08:31 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,986,434 times
This will make us pretty attractive when it comes to nominal tax overall, but competing states will still say, "Mississippi still has a state income tax".

I'm not sure how I truly feel about this. Obviously it's good for me because taxes are reduced, but I don't think we gained much in the way of outside perception. But there's also something that made so many of the legislators skeptical (like Lt. Gov. Hosemann). I guess I can admit that I don't fully have all the information.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:16 AM

577 posts, read 563,201 times
My first thought was that Phillip Gunn needs to run for Lt. Governor next year against Hosemann. The Republican primary voters would get a crystal clear choice between the conservative Gunn for lower taxes/business growth versus liberal Hosemann for higher taxes/government growth.

Mississippi has had virtually no GDP growth since 2008 and eliminating the income tax would create a huge splash for Mississippi into the world of business and employer growth.

Especially in DeSoto County, the tax difference between Mississippi and Tennessee keeps rich households in the Memphis metro area on the Tennessee side of the line. Elimination of the income tax would transform the already-growing DeSoto County into something akin to Northwest Arkansas, Greenville, SC, or Huntsville, Alabama. Mississippi's future really is in the hands of one of two people, especially if Gunn runs for Lt Governor.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:03 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
My first thought was that Phillip Gunn needs to run for Lt. Governor next year against Hosemann. The Republican primary voters would get a crystal clear choice between the conservative Gunn for lower taxes/business growth versus liberal Hosemann for higher taxes/government growth.

Mississippi has had virtually no GDP growth since 2008 and eliminating the income tax would create a huge splash for Mississippi into the world of business and employer growth.

Especially in DeSoto County, the tax difference between Mississippi and Tennessee keeps rich households in the Memphis metro area on the Tennessee side of the line. Elimination of the income tax would transform the already-growing DeSoto County into something akin to Northwest Arkansas, Greenville, SC, or Huntsville, Alabama. Mississippi's future really is in the hands of one of two people, especially if Gunn runs for Lt Governor.
Yes, the income tax is definitely a factor; at least it was for me. When I relocated from Pearl to Memphis in 2015, I specifically picked an apartment in Memphis rather than in DeSoto County because I didn't want to pay $3k to $4k per year in state income taxes in MS. Granted, property taxes are probably a bit lower across the border in DeSoto County but not enough to make up for the income taxes that I would pay in MS. The other factor was just not wanting to commute via the interstate everyday.

Old 03-31-2022, 06:46 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
This will make us pretty attractive when it comes to nominal tax overall, but competing states will still say, "Mississippi still has a state income tax".

I'm not sure how I truly feel about this. Obviously it's good for me because taxes are reduced, but I don't think we gained much in the way of outside perception. But there's also something that made so many of the legislators skeptical (like Lt. Gov. Hosemann). I guess I can admit that I don't fully have all the information.
Concur, everyone in the south knows the tax free states, TX, FL and TN and people will live there just for that reason, even if it may cost more due to property taxes, housing values, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi