Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times

Advertisements

Hi there folks,

I dont know if this belongs in the health and wellness thread too, but I just had to say how humbled I felt watching a guy named Jeff on the Oprah Winfrey Show. I think the show was taped quite a few months ago now, (we're way behind in Oz), but the episode dealt with weight issues, and featured a man called Jeff, who used to weigh over 700 pounds, and was down to 620 at the time of filming.
He struck me as an amazing person, someone who really personifies determination and tenaciousness...and I hope he's still doing really well. I think everyone involved should feel proud of themselves, and y'all have my best wishes.
At the time, Mississippi was apparently the state in the U.S with the greatest number of people struggling with obesity. I bet that's changed now, but don't worry..Australia apparently is the most obese country in the world!
Anyway, just wanted to say well done, and thanks to the Mississippians who shared their stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 11:22 AM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times
"Walter Hudson (c. 1944 in Brooklyn, NY – 1991) of Hempstead, New York was the fourth most obese human in medical history. He also holds the Guinness World Record for the largest waist. It measured 119 inches (3.02m) in 1987 when he was at his peak weight of 1,197 lbs. Hudson lived on an average daily diet of two boxes of sausages, a pound of bacon, 12 eggs, a loaf of bread, four hamburgers and four cheeseburgers, eight portions of fries, three ham steaks, two chickens, four baked potatoes, four sweet potatoes, and four heads of broccoli. He also drank an average of 12 pints of soda with every meal.'

Did you send a note to New York and say well done?

Old 10-02-2008, 02:49 PM

I didn't mean to offend..what I saw was out of Mississippi, and I truly found the people featured inspirational. It moved me. Sorry if again if I offended anyone.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:52 PM

Just to clarify..I meant their weight loss was inspirational, and their attitude generally. They changed their lives, and I wish I had their tenacity, doesn't matter if it's about weight loss, studying, or just trying to better yourself generally.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:42 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,161 times
I understood what you meant. I don't know why someone else took it wrong.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:46 PM

67 posts, read 348,921 times
I doubt Mississippi has improved on the obesity thing. Our cities and towns are rarely walkable, our state food is basically anything fried, and we have one of the highest rates of poverty in the nation (and we all know poverty and obesity are related). I would love to see Mississippi become a healthier state, but if my relatives are anything to go by, I regularly hear this when preparing to attend family functions: "Don't bother bringing any of that healthy crap, we'll make sure there is plenty of real food there."

Old 10-16-2008, 10:47 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgemama View Post
I doubt Mississippi has improved on the obesity thing. Our cities and towns are rarely walkable, our state food is basically anything fried, and we have one of the highest rates of poverty in the nation (and we all know poverty and obesity are related). I would love to see Mississippi become a healthier state, but if my relatives are anything to go by, I regularly hear this when preparing to attend family functions: "Don't bother bringing any of that healthy crap, we'll make sure there is plenty of real food there."
That is a huge point not to be taken lightly. We have allowed, for the most part, our cities and towns to become what they have, dependent on the automobile.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:13 AM

Our new bridge between Biloxi and Ocean Springs has a 1 3/4 mile one way walking path. Every evening the bridge is loaded with folks walking.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:12 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Our new bridge between Biloxi and Ocean Springs has a 1 3/4 mile one way walking path. Every evening the bridge is loaded with folks walking.
I have seen that in person and it was a very pleasing sight

I was told that the mosquitoes only fly 15' high, which is why everyone likes to walk the bridge rather than the streets of Biloxi and/or Ocean Springs, so that they don't get bit. I don't know if that's the reason or not, but I'm glad it gets used so much!

Old 10-16-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I have seen that in person and it was a very pleasing sight

!
Its a shame but good news out of Mississippi never makes the press. When we make the top of the fatso list, thens its on every headline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi