U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,315 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. Found this site while looking for somewhere to relocate. I currently live in Greenville and would love to get out. I am a single parent trying to run a small business here in Greenville. It's not easy. I was born at KDH (King's Daughters Hospital) and graduated from Greenville Christian School. I moved away for a while but came back after my son was born to be closer to family here. Both of my parents grew up in Leland MS and my grandfather operated a successful auto body and towing company there for more than 30 years. After moving away and coming back there was definatly a change here. Things went well for a while until school age came around. My son has been to several schools in Greenville and was even home schooled one year. We tried the public school but he was bullied and had property stolen or destroyed more than once. Private schools were too expensive and home schooling became a problem with time teaching and time working to make a living. We have since gone to Riverside School and it has been his best experience so far. Only two more years left until he graduates. Four years ago I bought a local store where I worked part time for eight years. It seemed a dream come true. I had enough faith in Greenville that something positive would soon happen. That faith was misplaced. I hadn't realized that my biggest compition was going to be crime. The business I chose to go into has always had a certian amount of criminal infrengement but never to the ammount it has been the last three years in Greenville. I called the police and turned these criminals in until I was blue in the face. They wouldn't do a thing. I finally had to go before the city council and ask them why nothing was being done. Only two of the Council men seemed concerned about my plite. Still nothing was done until a couple of days later when the DDT ran a scathing article against the PD that some results were seen. I received minimal support from the community. From a population roughly 36000 I was only able to collect 172 signatures on a petition. Mostly from my customers. Now I am having to consider closing a store that has been in Greenville 26 years. We do need new leadership and some direction for the future. I too have grest memories of growing up here and I will always cherish those but Greenville is not the same place. Yes we do have gangs here and I have received death threats for standing up and fighting for my rights. It's never been the easiest place to live unless you can afford a gated community or are among the "elite" but lately it has apporached the impossible. I'm afraid that if something isn't done quickly Greenville will become another Shaw. Just a blip on the map. My father was born in Shaw by the way. They used to have a Hospital. Wow. I'll always remember the Strip, Pretty Place, the archery range, and all thsoe other places we used to hang out. The food around Greenville has always been and still is among some of the best. No one has mentioned Frost Top rootbeer with a chili slaw burger. But back to the point I'm rambling. Greenville is not the same place we grew up. It is not one of the better places to live anymore. I'm not sure weither "I Beleive In Greenville" any more or if "I Be Leavin' Greenville" soon. It's great to see that most of the "frogs" are happy where they are now. I still chat with a couple of my high school buddies and they wouldn't come back unless forced. It's still a good place to visit but I'm not so sure on the Live part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 AM

26 posts, read 107,655 times
Yea DELTABOY I know just how you feel, I was robbed at gun point in my business, told the detective who it was, where he lived, age, school, name, and they never even questioned him or anything. The detective was more worried about violating his rights. I'v been here all my life, but looking to relocate in the near future. Greenville will never get any better, just worse. No new industry will ever come here because the work force is so bad. People here dont care about the quality of there work, they just want a pay check. People say there's not any jobs, Its alot of jobs out there, but they got to pass a drug test first to get the job. So Yea your right this town will end up like shaw or a big mound bayou.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:00 PM

123 posts, read 389,664 times
I was there for only 3 weeks and there was an armed robbery maybe a block or two from the place I was staying. A family member of one of the next door neighbors was a victim of it. She had a gun pointed at her head and told to lie on the floor.

I've lived in MD. between D.C. and Baltimore for years, but this was the first time I've met someone who had been in an armed robbery. I come back to the place I was born, a far smaller place comparatively, and I meet someone within three weeks, lol. Not to mention all the other burglaries(repeat burglaries)and a big number of assault cases all over the news.

The town has really filled up with very low-end businesses too: lots of check cashing, quick loan services, discount tobacco stores, pawn shops. The highways, 1 and 82, always had some of that, but they weren't practically the only types of businesses in existence. It looks like a place to commit crimes now.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 AM

52 posts, read 189,800 times
We moved to the Tupelo area 1-1/2 years ago. Tupelo isn't perfect but compared to Greenville it's pretty damn close. You see hope here because industry is coming in and new business opens all the time. There is none of that in the Delta...sad to say but true. We left and I left a job I had been at for 23 years. It was hard to make that decision but one I have not regretted for one moment. This area is growing. It has it's crime but the sherriff and police departments here don't play. They will nail criminals quick. Realty is expensive because of Toyota but sometimes you have to make those sacrifices. Greenville will never change because no one cares enough to change it. No one in power that is. I'm sure we all wish you luck. Sometimes you weigh your future options and make thise decisions. Come be a FROG.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:53 AM

315 posts, read 978,356 times
Much like the previous poster, my family moved to the Tupelo area from Cleveland four years ago. The deteriorating school system was the trigger for our decision, but declining quality of life issues in the community laid the groundwork. It was the best move we could have made. We embraced the community here and in turn were embraced. As bad as we thought things had gotten in Cleveland and the surrounding areas, we realized how much contrast there was to living here.

We still have to head back to the Delta for periodic family visits, and the thing that amazes me is not the ongoing downward slide in livability, but the number of people who are willing to stay. Get out now- you'll be glad you did.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:00 PM

52 posts, read 189,800 times
It's been a while since we beat on Greenville so I thought I'd drag it up. Does anyone remember West's Department Store and if so what year (period?) was it open. I remember my mother taking me shopping there but can't remember the year.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:07 AM

26 posts, read 107,655 times
Hey J, I remember West's store, I think it was on Washington Av. ,had to be in early 70's.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:11 AM

177 posts, read 839,016 times
I don't remember if or when it was on Washington Ave. but the last I remember, probably around the late 70's, it was in the old Mainstream Mall on Hwy. 1.
West's was one of the cheapest places, other than Steinmart, that you could buy kids clothes.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:46 AM

101 posts, read 278,464 times
Oh yeah I live in Da Sipp and Greenville is the last place you would want to stay. I'd rather stay in Jackson.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,886 times
Hi- I stumbled on this forum while looking for some information about Houston because my husband may have an interview there. I am orignally from Greenville Mississippi. Born and raised there till I was 8 then moved to California returned when I was 13 and left again at age 17. It has really broke my heart to read what has happened to the place that has shaped me into the 35yr old adult I am today! I am thankful everday that I was born in Greenville,Ms. I gained strong moral values, a strong sense of family and community because Mississippi was my home- because of this I am able to pass all of these things on to my sons. There is a terrible lack of respect for parents and adults in general in California but because of my up-bringing, my children although they live here in Cali do not display the disrespect that the children here do. My children also have a strong sense of work and it's value. I have always told them how my first job was at Greenville Seafood (located across from Wal-mart) when I was 16 and how much pride I took in that job. I tell them about growing up on Paducah street where everybody knew everybody and all the adults watched out for each other's kids. I remember the penny candy, baked beans, lemon heads, and small brown bag of cookies my brother, cousin and I would go down to Mrs. HappyJack's corner store and get. Most people who know me here in Cali has heard me talk about Shipley's doughnuts and the Hot tamales located in Greenville- you might think that since I am in California where the Spanish Culture is great, I should be able to find good Tamales- No! not true. There are not any Hot Tamales like the Tamales in Greenville. When my husband first tasted them he ate a dozen in a half by himself!

I know things have changed a lot in Greenville, things were not that good before I left my Senior year at Greenville High School (Oh! why did they combine Greenville High and T.L.) anyway a lot of guys I knew were killed beteween 90 and 1992. It seems to me that most of the crime that is happening is steming from teenagers. What is there for the teenagers to do? These young people are the future so people should be focusing on programs for them to get them out of the streets and their faces in text books- and keeping their hands busy positively. I don't get this generation that feel that need to take, when I grew up there I was taught to earn. My heart goes out to those of you who have been hit with crime sprees you work so hard for what you have and no one has the right to take it but it's not just material possessions it's also your peace of mind.

My last visit to Greenville was right after september 11th, in November- my dad was remarried he now lives in Leland but almost all of my family still live in Greenville. No matter what, I am proud to be from Greenville, Ms. and it will always be my home- Although my husband is a California boy he thinks it will be a good place to retire some day. I hope things get better for everyone still living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or