U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:10 PM

14,822 posts, read 31,240,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Southernbliss you need to read my whole statement. I said I'm seriously considering a move to the Gulf Coast region because I like that area much more. All of you people are on here saying about the people being nice. While many of them are, nice is way over-rated. I'll take a good economic area over a region with nice people any day. What is nice anyway? The definition varies person to person. It's like all of these southern Baptists going around telling around people to find Jesus. Where is Jesus, under my couch? Back to the nice thing. If someone comes up to me and says hey you should go out on a date with so and so she's really nice, odds are this woman isn't very attractive. Why? Because if she were that someone would've said so. So they stick the word nice in there to cover everything up. I come from the northeast where being brutality honest goes further than being nice. And for the person that said my blue collar comment was bizarre, I once dated a girl in Miss that said for me not to tell her family I was a truck driver, around here that is considered white trash. One time I went to church in ultra-conservative Madison wearing a shirt with real short sleeves so part of my tattoo was showing. They loved that. Those of you that are on here and don't like what I say that's a "you" problem.
Well if she thought you were "white trash" for being a truck driver she must have come from a rich family. I know many people who are truck drivers and none of them are white trash. I will go ahead and tell you that the gulf coast area is conservative too, so if you think you'll find lots of liberal minded transplants you may be in for a disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 PM

756 posts, read 1,792,377 times
I am sorry but it sounds like you went out with a snob and yes Ms. does have alot of them.
Jackson is a place all by it self in our state.
Gulf coast is a nice area but there are snobs there also.
Ms. is a very conservative state so anywhere you go there will be people that seem not to friendly but stop in get to know them just because they are not like you does not make them bad.
Also I agree being nice is very over rated but you know what it never hurt anyone.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM

5,080 posts, read 8,019,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well if she thought you were "white trash" for being a truck driver she must have come from a rich family. I know many people who are truck drivers and none of them are white trash. I will go ahead and tell you that the gulf coast area is conservative too, so if you think you'll find lots of liberal minded transplants you may be in for a disappointment.
Maybe thats why I liked it.. no freakin liberals.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:40 PM

57 posts, read 191,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Wouldn't you be in a high risk area due to hurricanes? I'd hate to live in fear of my house being destroyed and having to claim insurance.
LOL!

[mod] offensive language ]/mod].

Everything you post is either negative or a put-down (the teen
pregnancy thing and the Miss. school system).

Moderator cut: It is not necessary to be so insulting .

Just being honest, my love.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-26-2009 at 07:36 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 08:09 AM

356 posts, read 1,216,290 times
Claude, I love how you think. I admire a woman who speaks her own mind. We need more like you in this state.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 AM

57 posts, read 191,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbee View Post
Claude, I love how you think. I admire a woman who speaks her own mind. We need more like you in this state.
Thanks Aunt Bee.

I don't know what my problem is, I just L-O-V-E Mississippi.

I'm a grown up, so I don't expect anything to be "perfect"
--I also know that people are people and you can't expect
to go to somebody's house and change them.

I just don't get all the negativity towards this state and a lot
of it is flat out lies. Or stereotypes.

I can honestly say that Orange County, Calif. and Chicago are
MUCH more racist than anything I've witnessed in Mississippi.

The "majority" of the people here, both White and Black, are
God-fearing Christian "folks" and they're EXTREMELY nice.

There's a few bad apples, but because "MOST" are so nice, I
don't even pay attention to the bad.

I have started to see some of the "crime" you were telling me
about, Aunt Bee, in the "ghetto areas" and that saddened me,
but it's not the entire state like New Jersey, Illinois and Ohio
have crime.

The weather is even-tempered; the food is out of this world
delicious; the scenery is very laid back, lush and gorgeous.

It's so much cheaper to live here!

There's a lot of peace and quiet.

My mom says she's happy to be around "real christians" again
and her face looks 10 years younger! This is the first time
in YEARS that I've seen her attend church every single Sunday
and stay with Church people all day.

We LOVE the "accents"--many of the people sound like poets
when they really get to telling a story.

I just don't understand what outsiders want.

I have certainly been to Scotland and it was very cold,
the food was bland, the people reserved and the whole
place just all-around boring and gray.

So I can't fathom anyone from Scotland (or heck, New
England for that matter) putting down Mississippi.

I am a Successful Black Person and I find this state to be
a wonderfully normal place in comparison to California and
Chicago.

I came here with a Smile; non-judgemental and expecting
good things and guess what? I feel as though I was born here.
I just fit right in with no problems, because I wasn't expecting
any.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:40 PM

643 posts, read 1,224,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
The criteria?

An older house in need of work or at the most just updating.

Nice family neighborhood.

Would prefer to be close to a decent size city (Oxford sized would be acceptable, just for an idea of what I would consider decent sized)

So 150,000, an older house with lots of potential that just needs work to bring it out in a nice area of town.

Any thoughts on where YOU would move in MS if you had 150,000?

Thanks for the help.

Let me state that I am not looking for anything grand, and have no clue if 150,000 could buy that type of thing in MS. I am looking for a nice older house between 1000 to 2000 sq ft or so.

Edit: Let me also state I would be moving out of state and not know a single soul. Not sure if this makes any sort of difference but I feel is worth adding. THanks.
look into Bay Saint louis. you can get a beutifal home near the beach

Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 PM

1,628 posts, read 5,887,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Wilson View Post

I have started to see some of the "crime" you were telling me
about, Aunt Bee, in the "ghetto areas" and that saddened me,
but it's not the entire state like New Jersey, Illinois and Ohio
have crime.
Sorry, but had to jump in here. Not sure how much time you've spent in these places, but they are like any other state--good parts and bad parts. Crime in Summit, NJ? Not so much an issue. In New Vernon, NJ? UM...not so much. Short Hills? Rumson? Most of NJ is not crime ridden, despite what you apparently think. Large portions of the state are farming communities, horse farms, etc. There are wildly wealthy areas of NJ and OH and IL which have very very little crime. I believe you are judging entire states either by reputation (which apparently you don't like b/c you start by saying you don't understand why people stereotype your state) or by seeing only a small portion of these states.

Please don't stereotype like that--it's flat out wrong. There are high crime and low crime areas of pretty much every state. You don't like it when people stereotype MS and it's the same thing when you do it to other states.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:25 AM

831 posts, read 2,144,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Sorry, but had to jump in here. Not sure how much time you've spent in these places, but they are like any other state--good parts and bad parts. Crime in Summit, NJ? Not so much an issue. In New Vernon, NJ? UM...not so much. Short Hills? Rumson? Most of NJ is not crime ridden, despite what you apparently think. Large portions of the state are farming communities, horse farms, etc. There are wildly wealthy areas of NJ and OH and IL which have very very little crime. I believe you are judging entire states either by reputation (which apparently you don't like b/c you start by saying you don't understand why people stereotype your state) or by seeing only a small portion of these states.

Please don't stereotype like that--it's flat out wrong. There are high crime and low crime areas of pretty much every state. You don't like it when people stereotype MS and it's the same thing when you do it to other states.
I totally agree. I lived in Rumson most of my life and there really wasn't any crime. A few break ins now and then but that was it. I didn't lock my doors.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:00 PM

49 posts, read 145,236 times
I lived in Gulfport in the late 60's and was considered a "Yankee". The Southerners were very friendly to strangers, saying "hey" to everyone they meet. But, if you wanted to really be friends and run around with them, they wanted to know your pedigree, how you felt about "the Recent Unpleasantness" (ie, the War of Northern Agression, or Civil War), and where all your ancestors came from! LOL? I would say the Gulf Coast is more cosmopolitan than other areas of the state and they have good medical care.
They are doing remarkable work with autistic children in Lawrence, KS. Many families with autistic children are moving there. It's where the University of Kansas is located and is a great town to live in - if you want to consider KS....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi