Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 AM

62 posts, read 287,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbee View Post
Well said, Tama. There are good and bad places anywhere you live. It's all a matter of what you make of it. I do think those of us who actually live in Mississippi know a little more about it than someone who has just visited. Statistics and things you read in the newspaper or see on TV on don't tell the whole story.

I agree with a post about Hernando- the negative spillover effect from crime in Memphis is beginning to affect the feel of Hernando-

I don't think 150k would go too far in Coastal MS, but gulf coast Mississippi has a totally different outlook, feel, culture, history than any place in the Delta for instance- sort of like the vast difference between living in Shreveport or West Monroe, and Baton Rouge, or Lake Charles--no comparison! or like living in Huntsville, AL and Montgomery, AL or Selma

If you want access to a larger city, etc, then closer to Memphis, like Olive Branch might be cheap enough right now- but if you want to avoid what Forbes Magazine 2009 just called the #2 most miserable city, you might want to avoid some of those nice smaller MS towns just south of, and just across the border from Memphis- coastal MS obviously has some drawbacks- like hurricanes, but central MS has its share of very very dangerous tornadoes - at least with hurricanes you have FAR more warning to protect life and property-- violent thunderstorms and resulting tornadoes are documented killers as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 08:05 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebFlack View Post

If you want access to a larger city, etc, then closer to Memphis, like Olive Branch might be cheap enough right now- but if you want to avoid what Forbes Magazine 2009 just called the #2 most miserable city, you might want to avoid some of those nice smaller MS towns just south of, and just across the border from Memphis- coastal MS obviously has some drawbacks- like hurricanes, but central MS has its share of very very dangerous tornadoes - at least with hurricanes you have FAR more warning to protect life and property-- violent thunderstorms and resulting tornadoes are documented killers as well
Tornadoes are not limited to central MS. They occur all over the state, and the coast has them just as frequent as the rest of the state.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbee View Post
Well said, Tama. There are good and bad places anywhere you live. It's all a matter of what you make of it. I do think those of us who actually live in Mississippi know a little more about it than someone who has just visited. Statistics and things you read in the newspaper or see on TV on don't tell the whole story.
I never said MS was a bad place. People have a tendancy to jump the gun here.

There are nice places like Tupelo, Columbus, Meridian, Hattiesburg, Oxford, Hernando are just a few.

Spending a few months in a place lets you get a feel for it before making a decision whether to move there or not.

Lets also remember my fiance was raised there and his opinion is mixed. On one note you have lovely upmarket parts to a neighbourhood and then you get the extreme poverty like in the Delta. Poverty which i've never witnessed in Western Europe. Alot of blacks are poor, blacks here are not.

Driving around Amory, Okolona I noticed poverty or run down towns...contrast to what I have seen here or other places in the U.S South Carolina never seemed to have as much of it.

There are social/economic problems in Mississippi. It is the poorest of the U.S states.

My father in law is a qualified diesel tech and can barely pay his mortgage. Im Western Europe he would be earning around $40 per hour minimum.

On the other hand i much prefer the climate in MS, i also love the southern cuisine and the people. Its nice to have a wee change now and then.

Last edited by Scotslass; 02-17-2009 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-17-2009, 11:57 AM

62 posts, read 287,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I never said MS was a bad place. People have a tendancy to jump the gun here.

There are nice places like Tupelo, Columbus, Meridian, Hattiesburg, Oxford, Hernando are just a few.

Spending a few months in a place lets you get a feel for it before making a decision whether to move there or not.

Lets also remember my fiance was raised there and his opinion is mixed. On one note you have lovely upmarket parts to a neighbourhood and then you get the extreme poverty like in the Delta. Poverty which i've never witnessed in Western Europe. Alot of blacks are poor, blacks here are not.

Driving around Amory, Okolona I noticed poverty or run down towns...contrast to what I have seen here or other places in the U.S South Carolina never seemed to have as much of it.

There are social/economic problems in Mississippi. It is the poorest of the U.S states.

My father in law is a qualified diesel tech and can barely pay his mortgage. Im Western Europe he would be earning around $40 per hour minimum.

On the other hand i much prefer the climate in MS, i also love the southern cuisine and the people. Its nice to have a wee change now and then.

and for some whites in MS, they are so USED to SEEING the poverty of blacks, they seem not to actually 'see' the effects of such stark constrast and bifucation-----WHY ??? well some still think it's part of the 'natural social order', or 'desired socioeconomic order'---------still others would embrace slavery and racial separation if they thought they get away with it again, or still !

that sentiment is prevalent all over MS, and has migrated to cities like Memphis, just a stone's through up the MS RIVER- keep in mind Memphis bankers and Memphis investors help to fund thus perpetuate the agrarian MS DELTA, on the backs of an institution called 'slavery' and sharecropping-------social 'order' was ingrained-----lack of access to education was ingrained, thus the resulting generational poverty, fear, and economic underdevelopment will continue for years to come--

Helplessness is commonplace in the Delta- there was no reason to be optimistic, for blacks particularly, and even for poor whites, but for whites, keeping helplessness 'alive' for blacks was more important than equality of opportunity, and true individual freedom. The State shot themselves in the foot- and by doing that, they held themselves back as well as the blacks who they 'loved to hate', but allthewhile knowing they were integral in supporting their own limited if not warped vision of a civilized and freed society in an otherwise beautiful State in the United States of America.

Hate, bigotry, and a strange brand of visceral, active prejudice has ruined this location for years to come----and it's tenacles have infected the MidSouth as well.

Unfortunate, but true. I wouldn't waste my time in this region.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebFlack View Post
and for some whites in MS, they are so USED to SEEING the poverty of blacks, they seem not to actually 'see' the effects of such stark constrast and bifucation-----WHY ??? well some still think it's part of the 'natural social order', or 'desired socioeconomic order'---------still others would embrace slavery and racial separation if they thought they get away with it again, or still !

that sentiment is prevalent all over MS, and has migrated to cities like Memphis, just a stone's through up the MS RIVER- keep in mind Memphis bankers and Memphis investors help to fund thus perpetuate the agrarian MS DELTA, on the backs of an institution called 'slavery' and sharecropping-------social 'order' was ingrained-----lack of access to education was ingrained, thus the resulting generational poverty, fear, and economic underdevelopment will continue for years to come--

Helplessness is commonplace in the Delta- there was no reason to be optimistic, for blacks particularly, and even for poor whites, but for whites, keeping helplessness 'alive' for blacks was more important than equality of opportunity, and true individual freedom. The State shot themselves in the foot- and by doing that, they held themselves back as well as the blacks who they 'loved to hate', but allthewhile knowing they were integral in supporting their own limited if not warped vision of a civilized and freed society in an otherwise beautiful State in the United States of America.

Hate, bigotry, and a strange brand of visceral, active prejudice has ruined this location for years to come----and it's tenacles have infected the MidSouth as well.

Unfortunate, but true. I wouldn't waste my time in this region.

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. I respect your honesty. Your judgement is by far not clouded.

It's good to see an honest opinion that is not altered or sugar coated. Tell me did you live in MS, if so where?

I pretty much witnessed poverty/poor people, run down houses and littered streets in almost every town (would call them villages as some do not count as towns in my books) I visited. A couple of exceptions were Tupelo, Oxford.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:41 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times
Scotsass
Heed what DebFlack has said. You won't like it. Everybody is fat ,poor, uneducated. The weather is terrible,the insects are horrible. Stay in scotland and improve it. Please.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:17 PM

125 posts, read 435,296 times
Quote:
Talk about hitting the nail on the head. I respect your honesty. Your judgement is by far not clouded.

It's good to see an honest opinion that is not altered or sugar coated. Tell me did you live in MS, if so where?

I pretty much witnessed poverty/poor people, run down houses and littered streets in almost every town (would call them villages as some do not count as towns in my books) I visited. A couple of exceptions were Tupelo, Oxford.
I would love to see your fiance post for a change. He never gets to speak for himself...I feel like I barely know the guy.

Oh yeah, and come to MD. Somebody like you would love it here. It doesn't have many places that would horrify you with how undeveloped they are; most of the state is packed to the gills, and you barely get a chance to see a real person that isn't a yuppie drone. Maryland is the place for you, and, if your fiance gets a say in it, he'll love it too.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxchus View Post
I would love to see your fiance post for a change. He never gets to speak for himself...I feel like I barely know the guy.

Oh yeah, and come to MD. Somebody like you would love it here. It doesn't have many places that would horrify you with how undeveloped they are; most of the state is packed to the gills, and you barely get a chance to see a real person that isn't a yuppie drone. Maryland is the place for you, and, if your fiance gets a say in it, he'll love it too.
My favourite states were NC and SC. You got the mountains, beaches very very close by.

I never once said I hated MS but it does have problems, problems that no one seems to care about or address.

I'm not going to keep going on and on about this, that's just my view. I don't see why I should be attacked because i noticed poverty in parts of MS. Poverty which i didn't see in any other state whilst in the U.S nor in Western Europe.

Oh and my fiance moved here for a better life and he enjoys living in Scotland, if he's happy im happy.

Last edited by Scotslass; 02-19-2009 at 12:37 AM..

Old 02-19-2009, 07:16 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,161 times
Quote:
My favourite states were NC and SC. You got the mountains, beaches very very close by.

I never once said I hated MS but it does have problems, problems that no one seems to care about or address.

I'm not going to keep going on and on about this, that's just my view. I don't see why I should be attacked because i noticed poverty in parts of MS. Poverty which i didn't see in any other state whilst in the U.S nor in Western Europe.

Oh and my fiance moved here for a better life and he enjoys living in Scotland, if he's happy im happy.
There is plenty of poverty in NC and SC. You just didn't look in the right places.

Perhaps you should stay in Scotland since you are both happy there.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,390,619 times
There is poverty everywhere in the world. I have even seen it in Western Europe and every state, to some degree, I have visited. Look, this is not a pissing (can I say that here?) match yet it seems this thread has turned into one. Mississippi has it's problems, but it's great. Scotland has it's problems, but it's great. Now, let's move on and try to let this thread get back to its origin. So...

If you had $150,000 to spend on a house, where would you live in MS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi